Please evaluate this preliminary itinerary and help with 2 questions.

travelgirl77

Mouseketeer
Good Morning!

We are coming up to the time to schedule our FPs and I wanted your feedback on this itinerary and ask you a few questions. Some background: We are going the first week of August and we live on the Gulf Coast, so understand the heat and humidity. We are staying at the Contemporary Club level and it will be my husband, myself, and our 2 kiddos (8 & 5). It will be the first time for the kids and husband...I have been numerous times. And, we are surprising the kids. They think we are going to visit my aunt and uncle, who live outside of Orlando. We will visit them after the trip.

Arrival Day: Driving in from Alabama and we have reservations at Raglan Road for dinner/check out DS

Day 1: EMH HS/back to resort if we feel like it/Magic Kingdom (where we will book our FPs)

Day 2: EMH AK/back to resort if we feel like it/Epcot (where we will book our FPs) (reservations at either Rose & Crown, Biergarten, or San Angel...cannot decide (HELP!)) and stay for Illuminations

Day 3: RD Epcot (lunch at Askershus)/back to resort if we feel like it/cannot decide between going back to AK or HS

Day 4: RD MK (Crystal Palace late breakfast) all day at MK, O'hana for dinner

Day 5: RD MK all day/check out this day before heading to park and heading to my aunt and uncle's.

So, I need help with that second part of day 3. I know, I know that Pandora will be open, but honestly, we did not love Avatar and cannot see us getting on the Flight ride due to possible motion sickness. I suppose it is supposed to be beautiful at night and perhaps that is worth it? I am planning on doing a Star Wars dessert party, so I am somewhat leaning on heading back to HS and staying for the party, but do not want to miss out on AK if it is an absolute don't miss at night.

I also need help deciding between the 3 Epcot restaurants (I can cross post this in the restaurant forum). Is Rose and Crown similar to Raglan Road? I just want something fun and somewhere with good food (aren't we all?). Thank you for any advice you can provide! Although we will definitely have some ebb and flow, I know that our family will operate better if we have a rough schedule in place. Thank you so much!

If you aren't into Pandora, I would do the Star Wars dessert party at DHS on day 3. Can't really comment on Pandora at night, but the Star Wars show is super cool.

Of the 3 EP restaurants, Rose and Crown has the best food, IMHO, however, if you are already eating at Raglan Road, I probably wouldn't do R&C. Number 2 on the food list would be Biergarten, IMHO, but you will be seated with others (the tables hold 10 people) who may not acknowledge your existence. If you are ok with that, Biergarten is fun and the food is good. Third on the food list is San Angel, however the atmosphere is absolutely lovely.

You said you are planning a SW dessert party, so if you don't do it Day 3, what would be your other option? If the Dessert Party is a must do for you, then having that on the 2nd part of your 3rd day looks to be the best option. If the Dessert Party is not a must do, or if you have another night you want to slot that in, then I would suggest playing it by ear and returning to whichever park you feel you didn't cover as much on the first day there since you will have spent some time in each park the 2 days prior.

As for the restaurant, I have not eating at San Angel yet, but really enjoyed both Biergarten and Rose & Crown and you can't go wrong with either. I would probably give a slight advantage to Biergarten because the entertainment is also fun.

Day 3 at HS makes more sense to me too. With your lunch at Akershus working as your "break," I'd take the boat over to HS and spend the evening there.

Another vote for Biergarten as well. Your kids will have a ball with the OOOmpah band.

Personally, on arrival day I with kids that age I would go with a quick service restaurant like Wolfgang Puck express. My kids were always wiped on arrival day, and wouldn't sit for a table service meal.

For your dinner at Epcot I would go with pizza at Via Napoli.

Of the EPCOT TS's that you've listed, I'd also go with Biergarten, for the floor show and the ambiance.

We enjoyed the Coral Reef at Epcot. Great food and watching everything the aquarium (large enough to fit space ship earth in) was fun.

With kids your ages...on arrival day, I would stay at the resort or just go one or two monorail stops away. CR CL - what a treat! Why not stay and enjoy the evening offerings at 5:00, have a swim in the pool, and then if you need more of a dinner, go to the Wave at your hotel or over to the Poly and eat on the deck at Trader Sam's...or even better get pizza delivered to your room and early to bed for the kids to be rested for your EMH the next morning. You have a lot of ADRs booked for such a short stay.

I agree with staying at the contemporary on arrival day or one of the monorail resorts. You can always visit Disney springs with aunt and uncle after your actual Disney trip. The kids are going to be very excited so I'd just enjoy the room and pool the first night and be ready to go in the morning! Regarding food I second via Napoli or even France. Otherwise biergarten is fun just not the biggest fan of the food.

Personally, I would wait and see what the reviews are like after Pandora officially opens before I made the decision about going to AK at night.

And I would never in a million years book a dessert party, but that's me. I'd never pay what they're asking for a better view of a free fireworks show and some pastries. You could have a nice meal for less.

One thing I have learned over the years is that DHS can be insanely busy as a second park. I will hop there on occasion, but not without FPs if I want to ride rides. Even when going just to eat and see shows, the crowds can be oppressive there. Overall it is a small park with few attractions, and wait times often get long early in the day. On the other hand, while the data is still missing on the impact of Pandora, AK is generally slower later in the day. If you are not planning on riding FoP, it makes sense (at this time) to hit AK as a second park. You might try watching wait times at both parks via MDE or TP (lines app) for a few days before deciding. I also agree with the previous poster that had feelings on the value of the dessert parties - but "to each their own" on that.

I think of the three restaurants you mentioned, I would go Mexican. R&C and BG are average at best. We liked the table service in Japan (Tokyo Dining) for Sushi, and Teppan Edo is also a favorite - especially if you are looking for FUN. Not sure if you like that kind of food - just my 2 cents.

We traditionally spent our first evening at Disney Springs for many years. We found it relaxing but of course you know your family best.

As for restaurants, we prefer Rose & Crown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter