Please Don't Advertise In My FE

lilpooh108

DIS Veteran
Ok. This is a semi-rant, but after seeing all the beautiful home-made gifts in the FE thread (which are beautiful, thoughtful and amazing).... and receiving some truly thoughtful gifts during my FE exchange --

I would like to reiterate that laminated bookmarks printed from computers (which are themselves FINE) placed in an envelope with your personal travel agent business info/business card IS NOT AN FE GIFT. It is an unappreciated, unsolicited advertisement. It went in my trash.

I had read about this on the boards and was quite turned off when I actually got one in my FE. My DDs and I spent months doing our FE gifts. Please participate in the spirit of the FE, and not for commercial gain pixiedust:

Was the person someone that had signed up for the FE and that was their only gift? (Totally WRONG if it was!!) Or was it just someone walking by sticking them in there as an advertisement?

Was the person someone that had signed up for the FE and that was their only gift? (Totally WRONG if it was!!) Or was it just someone walking by sticking them in there as an advertisement?

Honestly, I have no idea. They left their DIS name and their business info. It was in an envelope. I tossed it, just as I would when I get housecleaning cards or law-mowing cards on my doorstep when I get home.

The turn off is---I'm on a cruise...I have a FE for gifts and surprises for my DDs, not for solicitations. Leave my FE alone :rotfl:

Yah, that's a douche-y thing to do either way. I'm just really hoping it wasn't someones only FE gift that they were giving out....

We were in the other group of the same FE and we got that too :rolleyes1

A few of us discussed it as I automatically assumed it was just random marketing to all FE's they saw but someone pointed out the card in the envelope had our room number printed on it and since the FE list was all done via email must've been someone that had signed up :confused3

While I think it's a bit tacky to use FE as an advertising outlet, I don't let it stress me so much. If the advertisement is such that it bothers me, I toss it. If it's on something that I will use, I use it.

For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes. If mine goes further, so be it. It's a vacation, relax.

We were in the other group of the same FE and we got that too :rolleyes1

A few of us discussed it as I automatically assumed it was just random marketing to all FE's they saw but someone pointed out the card in the envelope had our room number printed on it and since the FE list was all done via email must've been someone that had signed up :confused3

Yes, that's what it was. This triggered my memory. It did have my stateroom number on the envelope and I actually had thought it was something important. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who found it tacky.

I also don't think the FE is appropriate for religious stuff. Someone in one of our FE groups included a religious pamphlet with their gift. No biggy - I just tossed it, but still....

While I think it's a bit tacky to use FE as an advertising outlet, I don't let it stress me so much. If the advertisement is such that it bothers me, I toss it. If it's on something that I will use, I use it.

For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes. If mine goes further, so be it. It's a vacation, relax.

Though we haven't participated in FE yet, this seems to me what my response would be. I also wouldn't stress the religious stuff. I'll just toss it if I disagree. Hopefully both contributors did not limit their gift to such items.

Not stressed about it. Wasn't then, am not now. In fact, forgot about it until today.

In going through the homemade FE gift thread, however, it touched me how many people put so much thought, care and love into their FE gifts. In contrast, the commercial ads are just so tacky that I wanted to point out that they're not appreciated.

I don't think it is a big deal if they want to advertise their business as long as their gift is in the spirit of FE exchange. We got a business card in our FE but it was attached to a nice Vinylmation! I thought that was very nice and much appreciated. We received two bookmarks (no business advertisement attached) that had Mickey heads on it and a cute Disney ribbon attached. I loved them. I use one to mark my page in the book I am currently reading to my class and one to mark the page in the book I am reading for pleasure. It's a nice memory every time I look at them. For those that think they are non crafty, try a bookmark, it will be used!!

But if that's your creativity limit, why join the FE group? I'm not creative in any way that impresses other people, so I'm not going to join the groups.

I agree. I've never done FEs; I just don't want more stuff to do along with vacation planning and I'm not crafty at all. I can't believe people would have the nerve to advertise. They're for gifts, not junk mail.
My late uncle had remarried a long time ago and one of her grown children would put business cards in her Christmas cards to send out. :( Some people just can't separate work from pleasure.

I don't think it is a big deal if they want to advertise their business as long as their gift is in the spirit of FE exchange. We got a business card in our FE but it was attached to a nice Vinylmation! I thought that was very nice and much appreciated. We received two bookmarks (no business advertisement attached) that had Mickey heads on it and a cute Disney ribbon attached. I loved them. I use one to mark my page in the book I am currently reading to my class and one to mark the page in the book I am reading for pleasure. It's a nice memory every time I look at them. For those that think they are non crafty, try a bookmark, it will be used!!

Your Vinylmation sounds like a thoughtful gift :). Call me a cynic, but when the entire envelope contained one laminated computer generated bookmark and a business card, I tend to think that the person signed up for FE just to advertise :confused3

I wouldn't mind an advertisement IF it accompanied something in the spirit of the FE.

And for those of you saying you aren't crafty...you don't have to make something! :-) I've seen people buy really cute little things from their home state or country (candy, hot sauce) that were awesome.

If I received a business card thrown in with a gift, I would assume it's there for the contact details, not the advertising. i.e. "I'm on the same cruise as you, here is my name and email incase you feel like contacting me to discuss the highlights of the cruise".
Perhaps I am just naive, or perhaps it's a cultural thing (I asked my DH and he thought the same as me). But to be honest this thread has made me slightly more grateful I have chosen not to go down the whole fish extender route.

I don't think I would care if somebody put an ad in with the FE. The thing that would bother me is if somebody joined the group just to send out "spam" and no gifts. As OP said people put time, money and heart into the FE and everybody involved should do the same. BTW I joined my first FE for this fall and I'm not creative in the least. I did however go out a buy gifts for everyone on our list :goodvibes

I'd take the advertisement if it were a 75% off your next DCL cruise or $50 off your next purchase of flowers. It sounds like they are all travel agents, no? It reminds me of the Real Housewives of Orange County...they give gift bags with their own products. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!