Plato's Closet - What to expect?

mommykds

All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip,
I just found this place thanks to this board. I have never been there & would like to know how picky they are, how much they offer & general info on selling old clothes to them. Is it worth it?

I have things from my oldest DD (some with tags) from Abercrombie, Aeropostale, & Old Navy.

Thanks!

Ours is super picky on name/quality but they pay me very well. They will not sell Old Navy @ mine & sometimes not Aeropostale.

As a point of reference, we were there last weekend and bought a Hollister hoodie for $12 and an Aeropostale t-shirt for $10. So the people who sold those clothes to them got considerably less than that. The ones I've been too are not as picky about brands - not only do they take Old Navy, but they also take Merona (Target) and Miley Cyrus (Walmart, unless she has a line elsewhere). What they take depends on what they need at the time, and sometimes they have a sign stating what they're looking for right now. You might even call yours and ask what they're buying right now (for example, they may not be buying short sleeve tops or summer shoes at all).

Plato's Closet is great to buy from but terrible to consign there!
I had NWT clothes and barely worn and they were giving me $1.50 on holister shirts and $2.00 on jeans. They gave me $4.00 for a NWT Vera Bradley purse.
I had to wait 2 hours for them to look the clothes over.
Now I just take all my stuff to the local thrift shop and they sell them and the proceeds go to our local school.
Not worth the hassle to consign.

You should be aware that they're all individually owned & operated so experience differs from location to location. I've never been paid less than $30 for my jeans and I feel it's a fair price. It really depends on brands too. I can go to Hollister & buy a NWT shirt for $3 on clearance & they know this but 7famk jeans are going to cost a min of $75 even at an outlet & much more retail.

The one in CA was super, duper picky!! I did score a Lands End cashmere sweater for $10. So buying good and selling not so good.

I am not a fan...the one by me sells the USED clothing for MORE than the sales/clearance prices of getting that item new.

And the people in there were pretty rude.
I'd rather pay full price or donate to the Salvation Army than deal with them again.

I am glad to know it wasn't just me. I have sold the kids clothes over the years and have always been told I have great stuff. I took DD in one weekend just to look around and I found they had lots of Forever 21 and Vanity type items.

I had DD clean out her closet and I just picked out the very best items which were almost all Hollister, A&F and American Eagle. Many still had tags on them.

I took them in one morning and I knew when I walked in the door I wasn't going to get anything. She looked me up one side and down the other and flipped through my bag and said she really didn't see anything they would use. It was out of style and full of holes. OK, where are the holes, they are brand new and still have the tags on them. She said she didn't have time to find them, but she knew they were there.

I guess that a 50ish larger woman in a business suit isn't their people?!?!?!? Whatever, I dropped them off at my moms for her yard sale and told her to mark them whatever and guess what, they sold for a couple of dollar each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter