Plastic water & alcohol bottles in checked bags?

EbonySHeart

Earning My Ears
I have a dilemma going on my first cruise in 4 days :yay: flying from PHL to MCO(didn't know it was best to fly in day before to decrease the chance of missing the boat ) then taking Disney transportation (also didn't think of renting a car) to the port. So we cannot bring any liquids over 3 oz on board the plane and will not be making any stops before arriving at the port. So I'm thinking we can pack water and alcohol in plastic bottles. I know the DCL policy is to pack anything fragile in carry on. But, is a plastic water or Rum bottle considered fragile? Would it be confiscated from our checked bags?

I read that someone did pack boxed wine. However, I'm more of a Grey goose, belvedere girl. I know we:dance3: can purchase alcohol in Nassau but by then we might have drank $100 worth of alcohol.

Any suggestions? :drinking1: = :cloud9: <-- me on vacation

I have a dilemma going on my first cruise in 4 days :yay: flying from PHL to MCO(didn't know it was best to fly in day before to decrease the chance of missing the boat ) then taking Disney transportation (also didn't think of renting a car) to the port. So we cannot bring any liquids over 3 oz on board the plane and will not be making any stops before arriving at the port. So I'm thinking we can pack water and alcohol in plastic bottles. I know the DCL policy is to pack anything fragile in carry on. But, is a plastic water or Rum bottle considered fragile? Would it be confiscated from our checked bags?

I read that someone did pack boxed wine. However, I'm more of a Grey goose, belvedere girl. I know we:dance3: can purchase alcohol in Nassau but by then we might have drank $100 worth of alcohol.

Any suggestions? :drinking1: = :cloud9: <-- me on vacation

Don't attempt to package beverages into your checked luggage. Unfortunatly for some others, they have had clothing and luggage ruined by someone else packing bottles of liquids into their luggage. I too have seen how luggage is handled and find it suprising that ours arrived without any more damage than the airlines caused. DCL considers all beverage containers to be fragile, and can and will confiscate them for the duration of the crusie. Unfortunatly at this time, you are pretty limited on your options, but you could get your luggage from baggage claim, move the liquids from checked luggage to carry ons, and then proceede to the DCL bus check in..... this is pretty much your only viable option.

orrr... you could pack whatever liquids you want to take in ONE carry-on sized suitcase and check it at your home airport - but do NOT put the green DCL tag on that ONE suitcase. Then, when you arrive at MCO, go to baggage claim to get that ONE suitcase from the baggage carousel and then head for the DCL transportation.

You'll need to pick up the suitcase and extract the beverages before it goes to the ship. Or, as noted, you can pack them in a separate checked bag, although depending on what airline you are flying that may cost you quite a lot more.

In order to bring the beverages onto the ship, you will need to carry them on with you. Makes no difference how they are packaged.

As was posted above, please do not pack beverages in your checked luggage with hopes of it getting by the process. It's one thing if it cracks/ruptures and ruins YOUR clothes, but what about everyone else with luggage alongside yours? It's just wrong.

You could order beer or wine through DCL to be delivered to your stateroom. You could do a carry-on switch like described above. Or, you could just pay for it onboard and factor it into a "convenience fee" for not schlepping it while traveling. Some times, it's worth paying more for things if it just makes life easier.

- Dreams

orrr... you could pack whatever liquids you want to take in ONE carry-on sized suitcase and check it at your home airport - but do NOT put the green DCL tag on that ONE suitcase. Then, when you arrive at MCO, go to baggage claim to get that ONE suitcase from the baggage carousel and then head for the DCL transportation.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! :worship: I love smart people. I would have never thought of that. It'll add 15-30 min but as long as we land on time it'll be well worth it.
As was posted above, please do not pack beverages in your checked luggage with hopes of it getting by the process. It's one thing if it cracks/ruptures and ruins YOUR clothes, but what about everyone else with luggage alongside yours? It's just wrong.

You could order beer or wine through DCL to be delivered to your stateroom. You could do a carry-on switch like described above. Or, you could just pay for it on board and factor it into a "convenience fee" for not schlepping it while traveling. Some times, it's worth paying more for things if it just makes life easier.

- Dreams
I am looking so forward to my first cruise. I'm going with my DSis (31), DMom(51), and DD(4), 3 of my favorite people :-)dance3: & princess:). After reading these boards I'm ready to book my next cruise on-board. So I would never want to break the rules. That's why I posted this thread. Once again you all have been very helpful.

I do plan on trying the drink of day and maybe ordering a bottle of wine to pair with dinner. I'm really looking forward to trying the Bahama mamas on embarkation day and KonK Koolers on castaway cay.

My very first plane ride my step mom let me borrow her suitcase passed down from her mother. I returned it ruined by a body-splash spilling inside. :sad1:
Every since then I have learned how to pack any type of fragile item. Plus, with the money I'll save not buying the girls rounds, I can maybe bring home a bottle of the Taittinger champagne made especially for DCL.

You'll need to pick up the suitcase and extract the beverages before it goes to the ship. Or, as noted, you can pack them in a separate checked bag, although depending on what airline you are flying that may cost you quite a lot more.

I'm flying southwest with my daughter. So I get 4 checked bags, 2 carry-ons, and 2 personal items all free. I'm packing 1 checked bag, 2 carry-ons and of course my purse. One of the carry-ons will be half empty to accomadate souvieneers. I was thinking about checking it.

I notice that you said you're flying Southwest. I happen to be a customer service agent for Southwest (in addition to being a Disney Cruise fan). Be careful about how exactly you package the liquids in your checked luggage. You'll want to be sure that any alcohol is in its original unopened container & is "securely packaged in a leakproof bag adequately protected with professional packaging". Basically that translates to using a bubble wrap bag. Hopefully I don't sound pushy, just trying to make sure you can get sufficiently tipsy at an affordable price on your first cruise. :)

I notice that you said you're flying Southwest. I happen to be a customer service agent for Southwest (in addition to being a Disney Cruise fan). Be careful about how exactly you package the liquids in your checked luggage. You'll want to be sure that any alcohol is in its original unopened container & is "securely packaged in a leakproof bag adequately protected with professional packaging". Basically that translates to using a bubble wrap bag. Hopefully I don't sound pushy, just trying to make sure you can get sufficiently tipsy at an affordable price on your first cruise. :)

Thanks. I fly southwest quite often and I am always pleased with the service. I like the fact it's no hassle no frills just get where you're going at a good price.

Where can I find bubble wrap bags?

Since I have decided to check the bag and keep everything in original containers. I'll look for plastic vs. glass. And keep the water shrink wrapped. We'll need the water for excursions and to guarantee that we get sufficiently tipsy but not drunk.

Filtered water is available at the ship's drink station. It isn't bottled - but most bottled water is filtered tap water anyway. Might be easier just to pack empty reusable water bottles and use those.

Since I have decided to check the bag and keep everything in original containers. I'll look for plastic vs. glass. And keep the water shrink wrapped. We'll need the water for excursions and to guarantee that we get sufficiently tipsy but not drunk.

We wrap bubble wrap around our glass bottles and then put them in a large ziploc bag and then wrap a t-shirt round it all.

Have no experience with packing plastic bottle of water, but I think I'd rather just buy a few bottles in the airport on the way thru rather than add them to my checked luggage. You can buy 1 or 2 bottles per person and then refill them onboard as necessary.

I have seen them at The Container Store for $2.99 + tax. They are one-time use. Southwest also has bags available for $5 each. They are reusable & can hold a slightly bigger bottle than the Container Store version. One tip... if you happen to go w/ the Southwest version & the bottle is larger than 750 ml, ask the agent if they will inflate the bag w/ the bottle inside. (We usually bring them out to the counter pre-inflated.)

We cruise DCL often and typically fly Delta to get there. We have packed alcohol in checked luggage in large plastic travel flasks sealed inside ziploc food storage bags and have never had a problem or issue, either with the airline or with DCL. The luggage has passed airport security and made it to our cabin each and every time - and there's been many times :cool1:

(As an aside, Disney by nature encourages this practice at the Food & Wine Festival. It specifically sells sealable bubble wrap wine bottle protectors for purchases made at the Festival and instructs you to pack it in your checked luggage instead of shipping it separately.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter