Plastic room keys still available?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by suzu, May 19, 2017.

1. suzu

suzu Mouseketeer

Is it possible to have a plastic room key for our room in addition to magic band access? I'd like to take the band off and leave in the room if I go to the pool or out to dinner and don't want to lug a purse.
    We're staying in the Contemporary.

2. WEDWDW

WEDWDW DIS Veteran

Yes,depending on the CM,you may have to "press" the request,but it is very possible.:)

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.

to hide this advert.
  4. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You'll need it for the pool to open the gate.

5. DisneyWorldbuff

DisneyWorldbuff Colorado

We swim with our bands all the time, it has never been an issue. I'd be more concerned about losing the room key, but I am pretty sure you can request one.

Shanti likes this.
  6. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

You can still get cards, but it's the "in addition to magic band" part I don't know.

The bands are waterproof FYI.

7. loves to dive

loves to dive DIS Veteran

Yep, I actually ran down to the gift shop one day and forgot my band. Went to the front desk where we all had a good laugh since it happens often. I could get another band but opted for the card since I have 3 of every color already.

8. Minnesota!

Minnesota! Shoeless in Minnesota

I prefer the band in the pool to the card. The band can stay on your arm.

9. Tiffany_m15

Tiffany_m15 The Importance of Body Language!

I think it may vary by resort. We have had no issue asking for a room key card at the All-Stars but when we stayed at The Cabins at Fort Wilderness in February they told us they didn't have them anymore.

When I mentioned I was surprised because we had a nice dinner planned and I wouldn't have anywhere to put my magic band, they didn't really have a response. They said "Well, everyone will be wearing one." They were nice about it at least.

10. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Wdw has it in their privacy policy and MB info and legal terms on their site that you can get a card (last time I read it it referred to the card being in lieu of using the band though). That page would get pulled up for them if I wanted a card and wasn't being given one. They kinda have to comply with their own company's policies.

But i bet it was true; that most people were wearing them...

11. GADisneyDad14

GADisneyDad14 DIS Veteran

This is not accurate for CR, where the OP is staying. Neither of the pool gates at CR have MB/card scanners on them.

12. mouserrificmom

mouserrificmom Mouseketeer

When I travel as a chaperone, I always request a card to open the rooms of the students for whom I am responsible for in the event I need to enter the rooms because my band will not work. It has never been an issue, last trip was March 2017