Planning to add DDP, but want to wait a little while...

LovePug

DIS Veteran
We will be checking in over Easter weekend. I plan to add the DDP to my room only ressie, but want to wait for my income tax refund to be sure...Do you think I'm safe on no price increase in the next month, or so, or should I add it now?

room rates are VERY unlikely to change.

However, there’s no guarantee you will be able to add the DDP. They problem is that they can’t actually add the DDP to a RO reservation. Room plus DDP is a package (even if no tickets).

RO reservations are sold by Disney Destinations
Packages are sold by Walt Disney Travel Company

(Even through they have the same call center/representatives making the booking.

So, you would have to make a new package reservation, and then cancel the RO reservation. You may or may not be able to use the deposit from the RO towards the package. They might require a new deposit, and then issue a refund for the deposit for the RO reservations. If there is no availability for a new package reservation (meaning a room still available), you will not be able to get the DDP. While it may be possible for a supervisor to put in an override,that can not be guaranteed if the system shows no availability.

Also, by adding the DDP, thus getting a package, you would have the package terms of payments and cancelation.
In summary:
RO:
5 day before check in to cancel without penalty
FInal payment due on day of check in
Deposit is 1 night stay

Package:
Final payment due 30 days in advance
After final payment date,there is a cancelation fee.
Deposit is $200

you would have to make a new package reservation, and then cancel the RO reservation. You may or may not be able to use the deposit from the RO towards the package. They might require a new deposit, and then issue a refund for the deposit for the RO reservations. If there is no availability for a new package reservation (meaning a room still available), you will not be able to get the DDP. While it may be possible for a supervisor to put in an override,that can not be guaranteed if the system shows no availability.

This is correct. If you choose to get the DDP, you will need to book a package/make a new deposit (or pay in full if done 30 days prior to arrival) and wait for a refund on the RO. Since RO and packages are different reservation systems, money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other. If there is no availability for the room you have booked, you can ask to speak with someone in guest services. Regular reservation CMs aren't able to book something that isn't available, but guest services should be able to make the change and keep your resort/room type.

We will be checking in over Easter weekend. I plan to add the DDP to my room only ressie, but want to wait for my income tax refund to be sure...Do you think I'm safe on no price increase in the next month, or so, or should I add it now?

To answer your question, the price of kid's DDPs went up in Jan, but there was no increase on the adult plans. The adult plans have been the same price since Jan 2018. Unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason as to when/how Disney makes the increase, so you MIGHT be okay, you MIGHT not. It's a roll of the dice.

As others have said, the change will make it a package, so if you have the money for the package deposit now and you're pretty certain you want it, I'd go ahead and do it. You'll know if you're getting the refund before your 30 days come along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!