Planning questions for first on site trip (adult only)

scrapquitler

DIS Veteran
LOL no, this is not an xrated thread...DH and I have decided to take a Disney Trip without the kids! :banana:

We've always gone with the kids, stayed off site (more room to spread out), rented a car, done a long trip (usually 10 days), done some non-Disney days. This time we are going to do an adults only, on site trip. As a result, my planning is going to be a little different than normal.

The plan so far: Leave CT Sunday Oct 2, fly down stay until Wed Oct 5th. MK Monday, Epcot Tuesday. Probably Downtown Disney on Sunday unless we decide to do MNSSHP (which we LOVED last time we went to WDW). We will not likely get to the parks at rope drop, maybe we'll sleep in and arrive at the parks around 11...but we'll stay until the last possible minute at the end of the day. Rides are not a huge priority. We likely won't do table service at all.

We'll probably stay in one of the All Stars or Pop Century...any big advantages of one of the All Stars or another or Pop? I'm assuming the prices are pretty much the same? Pros and cons of each???

Can we do Magical Express with the following airlines: SouthWest, Delta, Jet Blue or United? Do we have to buy the airfare and hotel together to get the Magical Express? We'll probably just go with carryons, won't need luggage transfers if that makes a difference.

Do we need to buy tickets at the same time for them to be on the KTTW cards or can we buy them separately? Do we need to buy park tickets for our arrival day even though we aren't planning to do a park that day? Depending on the flight time we might buy tickets for MNSSHP Sunday night, still not sure about that.

That week, Monday is PM extra magic hours at MK, with park hours 9am-9pm Tuesday is PM extra magic hours at Epcot with park hours 9am-9pm. Those are the parks we are planning to visit. What things other than the rides are open late for PM extra magic hours? For example, will the stores in the Epcot Countries be open until midnight or just the rides? Crowd wise, is the PM extra magic hours similar to the MVMCP??

I've been looking at packages on Travelocity and on Expedia. I'm also waiting for a quote from Dreams Unlimited. I guess I should call AAA as well. Did I miss anyplace better to look for a good package deal?

Am I missing anything??

You will have a great time.

Magical Express - does not matter which airline you use, as long as you are staying on site. You can make hotel ressies first and then when you make air ressies, call and add Magical Express.

My friends prefer Pop Century over the All Stars, I've never stayed at either but have visited - I prefer Pop over the All Stars as well.

Tickets can be purchased when you arrive.

We love fall at Disney and the Halloween party is a must.

You might be able to pick up some park hopper tickets through looking at mousesavers.com.

Wow!! I don't think you're missing a thing. It sounds like a blast!

to answer some (sorry not all) of your questions:
-we've done ME with SW airlines. IMO, it took about the same amount of time for the ME bus as renting a car.

-I've personally never stayed at Pop, but I have stayed at AS (we loved it). Some of my crazed Disney friends definately prefer Pop. My BIL (fiercely loyal to POR) now claims to have permanently switched to Pop. You can't go wrong either way.

-Get tickets when you arrive unless AAA discount will get you a better deal ahead of time. I THINK you can still get the discount when you purchase them onsite (won't swear to it)

-Halloween party is quite cool, I'm a fan of the Epcot food & Wine fest ;)

-OMO (I will never claim to be an expert), EMH & Halloween party crowds seemed similar. I don't think youll have a problem with any crowds the first wk of Oct.

-It sounds like a plan for you! Enjoy!

Just a heads up- Epcot EMH's changed. Tuesday now has AM EMH, Wednesday has PM EMH.

Wait and see which place has the best price. You can get lower priced tickets through Undercover Tourist, link at Mousesavers.

If Disney announces Free Dining for that period, you have to purchase tickets through Disney and pay rack rates for the room. You would get the QSDP at a value resort, which is what you would prefer this trip.

Epcot has the Food and Wine Festival on at this time of year. You can snack around the world and try a bunch of different things for dinner/lunch.

I would stay at POP if you are planning on using WDW busses. There is only one bus stop for that resort. I would also see if you can get a king size bed-we were lucky to get one at POP on one of our adult only trips.

I would get tickets through Undercover Tourist ahead of time-take any discounts you can get if you aren't going to be getting a package deal through disney. Also, I rec'd a PIN code for that time frame for Free Dining so you may want to do all those tricks people sometimes do (go to WDW site and book and save a trip in your profile) to get a PIN code.

You do not need to book hotel and airfare at the same time to get ME. You can call to add on ME after you book your flights.

I answered you below in red.

LOL no, this is not an xrated thread...DH and I have decided to take a Disney Trip without the kids! :banana:

We've always gone with the kids, stayed off site (more room to spread out), rented a car, done a long trip (usually 10 days), done some non-Disney days. This time we are going to do an adults only, on site trip. As a result, my planning is going to be a little different than normal.

The plan so far: Leave CT Sunday Oct 2, fly down stay until Wed Oct 5th. MK Monday, Epcot Tuesday. Probably Downtown Disney on Sunday unless we decide to do MNSSHP (which we LOVED last time we went to WDW). We will not likely get to the parks at rope drop, maybe we'll sleep in and arrive at the parks around 11...but we'll stay until the last possible minute at the end of the day. Rides are not a huge priority. We likely won't do table service at all.

We'll probably stay in one of the All Stars or Pop Century...any big advantages of one of the All Stars or another or Pop? I'm assuming the prices are pretty much the same? Pros and cons of each???

Prices for the values are the same. We've stayed at the AS resorts and at POP many times and we prefer the AS resorts. Even though POP has only one bus stop, there are many more rooms so the buses are likely to be more crowded. (This goes for pools and food court also) AS resorts do sometimes share buses, but that doesn't happen often. As adults, we love AS Music, with Movies a close second. Either way you go, you will have a blast!

Can we do Magical Express with the following airlines: SouthWest, Delta, Jet Blue or United? Do we have to buy the airfare and hotel together to get the Magical Express? We'll probably just go with carryons, won't need luggage transfers if that makes a difference.Absolutely. Airline doesn't matter, but you need to make sure to give your flight info to the CM when you make your flight reservations. Hotel and flight do not have to be done together

Do we need to buy tickets at the same time for them to be on the KTTW cards or can we buy them separately? Do we need to buy park tickets for our arrival day even though we aren't planning to do a park that day? Depending on the flight time we might buy tickets for MNSSHP Sunday night, still not sure about that. You can get a little bit cheaper tickets from an outside source, but would have to ask when you arrive if they can add them to your KTTW. You can buy your tickets with your room reservation or you can buy them when you arrive. You do not need a ticket for your first day if you are not doing a park.

That week, Monday is PM extra magic hours at MK, with park hours 9am-9pm Tuesday is PM extra magic hours at Epcot with park hours 9am-9pm. Those are the parks we are planning to visit. What things other than the rides are open late for PM extra magic hours? For example, will the stores in the Epcot Countries be open until midnight or just the rides? Crowd wise, is the PM extra magic hours similar to the MVMCP?? The stores will be open during EMH as well as many of the restaurants. Crowdwise, you will most likely find EMH to be more crowded than MVMCP.

I've been looking at packages on Travelocity and on Expedia. I'm also waiting for a quote from Dreams Unlimited. I guess I should call AAA as well. Did I miss anyplace better to look for a good package deal? Keep looking for good discounts on rooms and packages. Right now, the room offer ends 10/1 so another one could be coming soon after :)

Am I missing anything??

Just a thought, if you enjoy staying on-site, I could spend an entire day visiting several of the different resorts. They are so beautiful and you can even incorporate some meals into the plan. Even with pictures, it's hard to appreciate these places. Plus it is great for planning future trips, because you've actually seen the places personally.

In fact, for an easy day & to save $$, don't even buy a park ticket for this day, just spend it at your home resort & visiting the others.

[make sure you visit my favorite resort!]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter