Planning my Moving Day From FW

Part-Time Paradise

Is it camping season yet?
I leave for my first FW trip soon (WOOOOO). After 10 days at the Fort, I'm spending 3 nights at Jetty Park. I have a check out time of 1100 am at FW and check in at Jetty Park at 200 pm on a Thursday in July. As we discussed at length in another thread I'm not going to stay in my spot past my check out time.

My current plan is to stop at Kelly Park (pic below) and make lunch in the rig and let the kids play frisbee or something for a few hours.

Is there any good spots along the way, that I'm missing, between the two that would be a good stopover for lunch and have room for my rig (Silverado 3500 with a 41' 5er)? Looking at the map, once I'm on the Cape, it doesn't look too big rig friendly other than driving straight to my spot in Jetty Park.

Thanks, gang.

Coming across the 528 there isn’t much to see, from Kelly Park you are only a few minutes from Jetty park. You will see, if any are in port the cruise ships as you cross the Banana river, and watch for dolphins swimming close to the shore line as well.
When you get off the exit for Jetty there is a place called The Cove, they have restaurants and a nice little gift shop there.

Once you are set up at Jetty you can head over to the Canaveral Locks and check that out it is close by without having to get on 528/A1A.

Call Jetty Park and see if you can get on your site early, depending on check out times.

I second that...hang at Disney in overflow until you are ready to get next stop for check in....

Allow me to play the devil's advocate here, PtP. Lunch is always good at Disney Springs but let's revisit your plan to head over to the East Coast and see more of The Real Florida.

First I'll review my experience at Jetty Park Campground in March. It may have changed between now and then so you may need to make adjustments accordingly.

See the map layout of Jetty Park campground which is at the same exit off 528/A1A as Port Canaveral.

Jetty Park.PNG

You roll in at position A on the map which is the Day Park booth for Jetty Park (day trippers). During covid times such as March when I went, this is where I got my camping info packet, gate code, and site mirror hanger card. You can turn into the campground at B and check your site to see if the previous camper has vacated yet. If not, you can pull out through B and circle around CCW to the E parking lot to make lunch, leave the camper temporarily, and hit the beach (the Fishing Pier F is a nice destination).

You will receive the gate code when you arrive at A which opens the locked key pad walking gates at both locations C and D. Please close the gate behind you.

When you drive over to JP on Hwy 528 you will notice on the right hand side the grading/excavations for the Brightline/(formerly Virgin Express) high speed rail line to Cocoa Beach and then turns south to West Palm which has existing links to Fort Lauderdale and Miami and the airport/port down there for car-free connections back up to Orlando Airport (and eventually to WDW and the Tampa area). They have a lot of landscaping/grading down along the Orlando/Port Canveral Corridor.

Lots to do around Port Canaveral/Jetty Park Campground. See my retirement trip report thread on teh community board from the March time frame. I say head on over to Jetty Park and leave WDW behind.

Have fun and post if you have a question.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
You roll in at position A on the map which is the Day Park booth for Jetty Park (day trippers). During covid times such as March when I went, this is where I got my camping info packet, gate code, and site mirror hanger card. You can turn into the campground at B and check your site to see if the previous camper has vacated yet. If not, you can pull out through B and circle around CCW to the E parking lot to make lunch, leave the camper temporarily, and hit the beach (the Fishing Pier F is a nice destination).

This is the intel I needed! Knowing there's a good lot there for us is great. DD has been to the beach last when she was 4 or 5. DS has never been.

If the site isn't open, I'll catapult some food into their mouths and head to the beach. Then I can park the rig later when the site opens while they're kicking it in the sand. It's settled.

Thanks for the responses, all.

Allow me to play the devil's advocate here, PtP. Lunch is always good at Disney Springs but let's revisit your plan to head over to the East Coast and see more of The Real Florida.

First I'll review my experience at Jetty Park Campground in March. It may have changed between now and then so you may need to make adjustments accordingly.

See the map layout of Jetty Park campground which is at the same exit off 528/A1A as Port Canaveral.

View attachment 577156

You will receive the gate code when you arrive at A which opens the locked key pad walking gates at both locations C and D. Please close the gate behind you.

When you drive over to JP on Hwy 528 you will notice on the right hand side the grading/excavations for the Brightline/(formerly Virgin Express) high speed rail line to Cocoa Beach and then turns south to West Palm which has existing links to Fort Lauderdale and Miami and the airport/port down there for car-free connections back up to Orlando Airport (and eventually to WDW and the Tampa area). They have a lot of landscaping/grading down along the Orlando/Port Canveral Corridor.

Lots to do around Port Canaveral/Jetty Park Campground. See my retirement trip report thread on teh community board from the March time frame. I say head on over to Jetty Park and leave WDW behind.

Have fun and post if you have a question.

Bama Ed
I second this, too (I hate to be confrontational 😁)

PTP, I want to correct myself while I still can.

I think that "E" lot is for fishermen with boat trailers. I didn't drive back around there on this trip and the lot looks kinda new (had some grass parking in it on the first trip to JP years ago). Which means your Plan B location (if the site is not open) is in the overflow day lot which is grass and noted as "F" below.

Jetty Park.PNG

I did see some cars and a Class A in that grass lot (big) on our March 2021 trip. Also I think all traffic in/out has to run along Jetty Park Road between B and A now. Used to be able to circle around and out a few years ago but no more I guess.

Anyway, let's hope you can follow Plan A (site is available) anyway.

Oh and if you want to see the sun rise over the ocean, get up at least 30 min before the official sunrise time because even when it's below the ocean horizon, it's still a bright sky.

Ed

PS - use some strong sun screen.

PTP, I want to correct myself while I still can.

Thanks for the note. Good there is still a place to park.

The kids are really excited for our time there. We're hitting the beach a lot, of course, but also plan to get up to see the Space Coast stuff. I hope the tours open up some more at Kennedy. We also plan to get up to Canaveral National Seashore to check it out and do the Jr Ranger program for the kiddos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter