Planning A Trip in Dec HELP!

mommylovesdisneymore

DIS Veteran
Hey! We are planning our first Disney World trip since 1999 and feel lost. We want to stay on grounds but don't know if it's dueable .Please help any advice would be very well appreciated. We are think ing either the first or secound week and suggestions on that They say that is a very cheap and less crowded time. Has anyone ever attended the Mickey Mose Christmas Party?:grouphug: :grouphug:

I will tell ya this, we went the week of Christmas 2006.
It was so crowded we didnt really enjoy it like our other trips.
It was also our MOST expensive Disney trip EVER!
Get ready to break out the BIG BUCKS! lol
I would go the first week. Less crowded.

Believe me, if you have kids, its better to take them out of school.

You will really enjoy the decorations and the holiday parades.

I didnt even do a trip report on that trip. It was so crazy. My family was crabby. We call it our 6,000.00 mistake!

I see this is your 2nd post. This is the place to be to learn the best way to do a Disney vacation.

You'll be ok the 1st or 2nd week. Do not go the week of X-Mas or New Years.

I think staying on-site is the only way to go. Check out the All Star Resorts. Its so much easier to stay on-site and you get the extra hours. We wouldnt get to do as much without the exta hours Disney offers on-site guest.

How many people are going?
Of them:
How many are adults?
How many are infants?
How many are between 1 and 17?
Where would you like to stay/

Please don't just post your reply, send it to me in a pm.

The only time we went in Dec. was in 2003, and we had a great time. :goodvibes The crowd level was low, we went early in Dec. I think we were there from 12-2 to 12-10. The decorations were beautiful, really put us in the holiday spirit-as did the cold-we actually had to wear our thermals, at night, it was so cold. :rotfl2:

We also went to MVMCP and it was nice too-again crowds were pretty low. I remember that when I took my DD (then 4) to the Judge's Tent in TT, we had all the characters, basically, to ourselves. We were able to stay with them for as long as we wanted. And the main ones, were all dressed up in holiday style.

I've been there the last two years around Dec 8th-16th and will be returning for the third time this year for the exact same week. Weather is very iffy--Dec '05 we almost froze, Dec '06 I wore shorts. Crowds aren't bad at all. Wonderful time of year to go. I'd definitely stay on site. POP is alot of fun and fairly cheap.

We are going during the 1st week of December which according to every resource out there, will be the least crowded of any week during the course of the year.

That doesn't mean that there won't be waits at the major attraction but they should be tolerable.

As for onsite versus offsite, that will really come down to key factors such as budget, if you will have a car and what things outside of WDW you will want to do. Onsite has it's obvious perks not the least of which is Magical Express form the airport where your luggage will arrive at your room before you. You will also benefit from EMH and preferred seating at various restaurants.

You are looking at a GREAT time for going. First two weeks in Dec. is great. We are planning our trip for that time. The Christmas Party is not to be missed! Great parade and special fireworks show, plus you get a picture, and hot chocolate and cookies everywhere (Remember that this is an event that requires a separate ticket purchase, but it's REALLY worth it!).

One note: The first weekend in December, they usually have the Pop Warner football events, so the Values will probably be filled with players and cheerleaders... it might be noisy at the resort (usually not at the parks, though). Also, the Christmas Parade is filmed for TV during that first weekend, so you might want to avoid MK during that day.

Have fun planning!

Took my DD out of school a few weeks after Thanksgiving when they had the Christmas decorations up. Best decision I ever made timing wise in going to DW. Uncrowded and so much fun.

We are also going in Dec. We are going the 10th through 17th . I already bought our tickets for Mickys Very Merry Christmas party. Thats the one thing you should plan on doing for sure. I will keep up with this thread cause I will be interested what others suggest as well. :)

We went in early December of 2005 and loved it! I have learned so much from these boards and feel even more prepared for our trip this December! May I also suggest to look at the website www.allearsnet.com (it's free) and also to join Tour Guide Mike. He is a Disboard sponsor and if you go to the Theme Park Touring and Strategies Threads, there is a link you can click to save $3.00. I think it will be around $18.95 to join and he has tons of info as well! Better hurry to make your reservation and like a previous poster I suggest an allstar resort (we stayed at movies the last time and loved it) or Pop Century (that's where we are staying this time) for a less expensive hotel! Have a great time planning!!:goodvibes

I've been there the last two years around Dec 8th-16th and will be returning for the third time this year for the exact same week. Weather is very iffy--Dec '05 we almost froze, Dec '06 I wore shorts. Crowds aren't bad at all. Wonderful time of year to go. I'd definitely stay on site. POP is alot of fun and fairly cheap.

We are traveling the same week. Where are you staying? We will be at AKV.

I will be there Dec 2 to the 9th and staying at the all star movies. It is pretty good rate of 89 a night. This will be my first time staying onsite. I also have tickets for MVMCP on the 4th. I have been this time before and crowds are low. I hope they will be again.

we went last dec from the 2-8 and it was the best vacation. cool weather, waited the most 10 min on a ride..good choice, have fun:thumbsup2

Do you happen to have AAA? We are going to Pop Century Dec 4-12, $73.50 total per night. You don't have to make the ressie in the AAA office, you can call and do a room only w/ AAA discount by calling disney. I find it is usually the best savings to break things up rather than a package, unless it is some sort of free dining....they need to do that for December :)

Also joining the mouseSavers email, you can usually get links to good prices on park hopper tickets.

It is a great time to go. If it is in your budget the party is wonderful. If not, you will still have a great time. If you want to save $$ on a park ticket day, you can tour the resorts, they all have great decorations.

If you can fly Spirit Air from where you are keep checking for deals, I found $88 r/t a couple of weeks ago. You can also sign up for their email deal alerts.

There's lots of ways to save, eat breakfast in room, share meals, etc.

We're new to December visits to the Mouse House, but we're going the first week of the month.

My advice...make reservations ASAP on sight-with all the Christmas decorations that time of year, why stay off-sight???

Decide where you'd like to eat (the many touring guides at your local Barnes and Noble will give you descriptions of the many wonderful restaraunts) and make "ADR's" (advanced dining reservations) to ensure a seat where you'd like to go.

We also bought tickets already for the "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party" (MVMCP). We hear it's a "must-see" with snow on Main Street, etc.

All of this is easy to accomplish if you do some reading and see what interests you and your family. But, believe it or not, you should get moving with your plans :)

Hope to see you the first week of December :santa:

We're new to going in December, too. Will it be too cold to swim? :headache: We're booked for December 10th - 16th.

W are also planning on going the first week of Dec. I am a little confused about Mickey's Christmas Party. Do we still need to purchase tickets even if we are staying at a WDW resort and have hopper passes, etc? I am thinking like when the parks open early or stay open late type of thing. Or is this something that is purchased separately?

My other concern is during that week there is the Pop Warner football and cheerleading competition. Is it for a whole week or just a weekend? I also heard that the value resorts are FULL of these kids and that some even overflow into PORS and POFQ. Has anyone stayed at either during the first week of Dec?

We're new to this time of year, too. But, I do know that Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (MVMCP) is a TICKETED event, meaning, they close WDW early the days this party is held, and only those who have PAID for a party ticket may enter for it. We bought our tickets in June, for an "early discounted price", and received them in the mail about a week after I booked the date. You can do this at the same telephone number that you'd use to make ADR's for dining reservations.

I have no idea about the Pop Warner kids, but I'm not really worried as I've read that the first week of December, when we're going to Disney, is historically one of the least crowded of the year, and Pop Warner is included in those figures as they come every year at the same time, too.

Hope to see you there :teacher:

:thanks: Thanks MissSha!

We will have to make sure we get tickets!

I'm not worried about the parks with the Pop Warner thing, but I just heard stories about the resorts where the kids stay and being loud and not always being supervised, etc. But that won't stop us!!!! :rotfl:

I just cannot wait to see all the parks decorated for Christmas. :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter