Planes , Trains and A lot Of Unexpected Adventures June 2022 Updated Saturday July 2 Travel Home To Ireland

Friday June 24

Today I planned to visit my friends and spend the day with them.

I woke up about 7am and again went for the included breakfast from the deli next door. I got the same thing, the ham, cheese and egg croissant and a latte.

Back in my room, I had the coffee but decided to keep the breakfast croissant for brunch.

Instead for breakfast I had my granola, fruit and yogurt which I made myself and used one of the takeaway coffee cups in the room.

I contacted my friends and made arrangements to meet up about lunch time.

I spent the morning again catching up online and watching CNN. Just before I left the room I had my breakfast croissant.

It took me about 30 minutes to get to where my friends live, very easy to get there I, I just walked up the street to Civic Center Grand Park Metro Station and took the underground.

When I met my friends , we went to Trader Joes for food. This suited me , as I needed to get picnic food for the next day at Forest Lawn.

After Trader Joes we just went back to their house for the afternoon and they drove me back to my hotel in the evening.

Back at my hotel I got myself ready for the next day at Forest Lawn before going to bed.

Saturday June 25

Today is the main reason I travel to LA in June. Its the anniversary of Michael Jacksons death. Each year there is an informal fan gathering at the cemetery, Forest Lawn Glendale.

I like to get to the cemetery early, as its just nice to be there and be around fans for a day.

When I visited in January I noticed the tree which used to have great shade had been removed. This used to be the prime spot for the day, so thats another reason I like to go early.

But knowing the tree was gone and I would have to find a new shady place, I didnt get there as early as in previous years.

I got off the bus at the gates around 9am and went to the flower shop at the entrance.

I had phoned a few weeks ago and did a flower order over the phone, so all I had to do was collect the flowers.

Next it was the long walk up the hill. I take it in stages, from shade to shade so it takes about 15 minutes to get to Holly Terrace at The Great Mausoleum.

Im not going to say much about the day. It was nice to be around the fans again, so many familiar faces from previous years and many new faces. It kinda felt like the last 2 years hadnt happened, that we went from June 25 2019 to June 25 2022.

This is my flag, which I bring every year.

flag 2022.jpg

If you are interested, search Michael Jackson Forest Lawn June 25 2022 on YouTube. Theres lots of videos from other fans.

From about 4pm people started drifting away to get some food. In the evening many fans go to the Star on Hollywood Boulevard, beside The Chinese Theater.

I decided to leave about 5pm. On the way back to my hotel I decided to go to 7th and Fig and get take out pizza from California Pizza Grill.

pizza.jpg

When I eventually got back to my room with my food it was 6.30pm and I didnt feel like going back out again so I had an early night.

At that stage I did not care, I was just grateful to be sorted. After a 7 hour flight and 2 hours in the rebooking queue I wasnt going to start haggling with the Delta staff about the location of the hotel, to me thats pointless. When I was checking in and talking to the front desk guy, I got the impression that most of their business recently comes from Delta, I think it was even the crew hotel. Also I had a taxi voucher for the next morning, so I wasnt worried about cost to get to Newark. The front desk guy was very helpful, he looked up how long it would take to get to Newark airport from the hotel and I booked the taxi pick up for an early time, to make sure I didnt get stuck in traffic. Im one of those people who prefers to be really early at airports, so I am very used to working out travel times etc.

Sure, totally makes sense. I was more curious (I don't think I've ever had the situation where I was rerouted to a nearby airport with an overnight).

Sunday June 26

Today I planned to go to Santa Monica.

Santa Monica is one of my favourite places in LA. Growing up I watched so many tv shows and films set in California and LA and the Santa Monica Pier and beach were featured so many times. It always seemed like a place I would never get to visit.

But then fast-forward to June 2009 and the death of Michael Jackson. I lived in London and with a group of friends travelled to LA and we eventually managed to get tickets for The Staples Center Memorial. One friend was in charge of finding somewhere for us to stay and she found the Hostel International Backpackers Hostel on 2nd Street Santa Monica. It was somewhere safe and cheap and at the time it suited our needs. For anyone on a budget who is comfortable in a shared room, I would recommend it.

We returned to the hostel in 2010 and since then I just feel like its one of "my" places in LA.

The deli next door to my hotel is closed on Sundays, so I had my fruit, yogurt and granola in my room for breakfast. I had brought some Starbucks micro ground coffee with me from home, so I used the coffee maker in the room to make hot water and mixed it with the coffee sachet. Its not as good as normal coffee but better than the coffee sachets provided by the hotel :)

After breakfast I got myself ready and left the hotel. I walked up the street to Civic Center / Grand Park Metro Station and took the underground train one stop to 7th Street Metro Station.
At 7th Street Metro Station I changed to the Expo Line. When changing trains I tapped on again and my card was registered as a transfer and I didnt have to pay again.

The journey from 7th Street Metro Station to Santa Monica took about 40 minutes, not so bad, just about my usual commute time in Dublin.

The station at Santa Monica is on Colorado Ave about 3 blocks from the ocean. I remember being in Santa Monica when it was being built and thinking how easy it would be to get from other parts of LA to Santa Monica. Well now I had finally got to Santa Monica by train :)

I followed the line of people down the street and found that Santa Monica Place Mall has an entrance on Colorado Ave . I had a good wander around the shops and then it was time for some food.

It has to be done, no visit to USA would be complete without going to Cheesecake Factory :)

This time I just got an entree and I planned to come back later to get cheesecake to take back to the hotel.

I got
Thai Coconut Lime Chicken
Tender Pieces of Chicken, Snow Peas, Shiitake Mushrooms, Onions and Garlic in a Thai Coconut-Curry Sauce with Cashews and Pineapple. Served with White Rice

factory.jpg

I sat outside, in the patio and it was nice to just chill and people watch as I had my lunch.

After leaving Cheesecake Factory, I went over to 3rd Street Promenade. Its been over 5 years, maybe longer since I have been here and the memories just came flooding back. I spent so much time in this area with my friends in the first few years of my June trips.

I walked all the way up from Broadway to Arizona Avenue, in and out of shops and stopping every so often for the street entertainment.

From Arizona Avenue I turned towards the ocean and walked back along 2nd street just for old time sakes. The British Bar restaurant we used to go to, Ye Olde Kings Head is still there, I walked past the parking structure we used to use and yes the hostel is still there and looks the same.

From 2nd Street I turned on Broadway , and headed to the ocean again. This time I walked along Ocean Ave, which is the park area along the ocean.

I found a bench and just sat for ages, people watching and just enjoying being by the ocean.

One thing I will mention is the homeless people. I am used to seeing homeless people in day to day life, my city has a big homeless issue and its something which I notice but does not alarm me.

I remember years ago, that I noticed many homeless people in Santa Monica and on this trip I noticed the same. However it did not seem to me to be any worse than what I remember from 2010 or 2011. Yes in the park area there were people with shopping carts, people sitting on benches with bags of stuff but thats what I remember in that area from 2010.

I guess if you don't see homeless people on a day to day basis, if you live in an area where people don't walk around with shopping carts it might be jarring. To me its a normal thing to see in a city.

I didn't go down onto Santa Monica Pier, but just stayed in the park area.

santa monica.jpg

When I finally decided to leave the Pier Area I decided to go to McDonalds and get some food for the evening. I got a Quarterpounder with Cheese and 6 Chicken nuggets and it cost about the same price , numbers wise as it would in Ireland.

I started walking back to the train station on Colorado Avenue. I meant to go back to Cheesecake Factory and get a piece of cheesecake take out, but I saw a train on the platform and decided to just get on.

I got back to my hotel about 6pm and just relaxed for the evening.

I know I didnt really do much in LA this time, I didnt do any major sightseeing or tourist places. The last few months have been very stressful in my personal and work life. I needed a chill out week, a week to disconnect and not have any plans. I needed sleep and rest and to recharge.

Now it was time to pack again and get ready for the fun part of my holiday, Disneyland. :Pinkbounc

Monday June 27

Today is transfer day to Anaheim :)

I wake up about 7am and for the last time, go get my breakfast from the deli, the same coffee and breakfast croissant I have been getting all week.

I also eat the last of my fruit, yoghurt and granola.

Check out is 11am and I have booked Midwilshuttle to pick me up at 12pm.

Just before I leave the room at 11am I get a WhatsApp text message from Midwilshuttle confirming that my driver will be there at 12pm.

I sit for about an hour in lobby and just before 12pm I see a car pull up. A lady wearing a Midwilshuttle shirt gets out and confirms my name and destination and then we are off.

Traffic is not too bad but it still takes about an hour to get to Anaheim.

I have done this route so many times and when I see the Welcome To Orange County sign on the freeway and then all the exit signs for the areas near Anaheim I just get this happy feeling.

The fare was $105 which I paid by card when we arrived at the hotel. I also gave a cash tip (for those who are wondering if the international knows about tipping culture in America :) )

Checking in to Desert Inn and Suites was easy. I expected that my room wouldnt be ready so I was fine with having to put my luggage in the storage area. The front desk staff member gave me change for the lockers for my small carry on roller bag and said I could put my big bag in the storage room.

I walked down past the pool and vending machines and staff member arrived to open the door. I rolled my big bag in and he rolled my small bag in and placed it beside my big bag. Ok, fine by me, I dont have to pay for the lockers. I got a bag reclaim tag and watched the staff member lock the door and then I was off to Disney :)

It takes about 6 minutes , depending on the traffic and the cross walk lights to walk from Desert Inn and Suites to bag check.

Bag check took a bit longer than normal, as I had some things with me that I didnt want to leave in the bag store.

And then I was in and walking through the Esplanade.

Those first few moments, just standing in the sun, with the music and people park hopping are just so overwhelming. Being in Disney is so far from my day to day life and it just feels like it cleanses and restores me, and all the stress of reality is gone.

I slowly make my way into Downtown Disney and my first stop, World of Disney.

I just love the Disney parks shops. I know people get tired of all the same merchandise, but for me, its all a new experience.

There is only one Disney store in my country , with limited merchandise, so to be in such a large shop as World of Disney, is so cool to me.

After a long wander through World of Disney, checking out whats new, what I might buy and what I would buy if I didnt have a weight restriction on my checked bag, I was getting a bit hungry so I went for coffee and a snack at Starbucks.

1. coffee.jpg

By now it was almost 3pm so I decided to go back to the hotel and hopefully my room would be ready.

I was in a different part of the hotel than my previous visit. This time my room was 323, on the third floor at the back of the hotel.

I had to walk the length of the carpark, then through the little courtyard area and up to the third floor using the elevator.

Housekeeping were just finishing my room but that was fine.

I got a deluxe room which cost $845 before tax for 5 nights. I booked in March 2022.

room.jpg

I know some of the negatives about Desert Inn and Suites are the beds, but I didnt think the bed quality was poor. I had no issues with the bed or other room amenities.

The room also had a fridge and a microwave.

After unpacking and freshening up I headed back to Downtown Disney for the evening. This time I had far less in my bag and got through bag check security a lot faster.

I had another walk through World of Disney, why walk in the heat when you can walk through an air conditioned shop :earsboy:

One thing I had to do in World of Disney was reload my special Star Wars Disney giftcard, the Spira. I bought this on my January visit and had decided for this trip to use it for my food and shopping etc while in Disney. This really helped with my budgeting and saving, as I had US Dollars cash which I had kept separate, just for Disney.

After reloading my Spira, I continued through Downtown Disney, in and out of shops and just enjoying the atmosphere.

At 6.30pm I had a reservation at Tortilla Joe's in Downtown Disney. I was glad I had a reservation as the walk up line was long, approx 30 minutes.

I was seated almost immediately. but I forgot to request an outside table. I was a bit nervous as this was my first time eating inside, but I was seated near the door, and had a booth, so I didnt ask to be moved. I did keep my mask on whenever I wasnt eating, and I was far less relaxed than I would have been at an outside table.

I had
Jos Carnitas
Citrus Braised Pork, Black Beans, Mexican Rice, Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, Chile Toreados with Flour Tortillas.

my food.jpg

I didnt really eat many of the tortillas but I enjoyed the rest. I don't have Mexican restaurants local to me at home, so I always like eating Mexican food when I am in California.

After my food, took my time going back to my hotel, just enjoying being in Downtown Disney.

I wanted to get an early night, as I would be up early to rope drop Disneyland Main Park :)

About Midwilshuttle...I think I read once that you have used them for pick up at LAX. Did they pick up at baggage claim/curbside or did you have to take a shuttle to get to a shuttle lot to catch Midwilshuttle? I saw recently on a Get Away Today video that Karmel is the only shuttle that picks up curbside at LAX. (That is the company GAT partners with.) But I was thinking I read about someone's experience with Midwilshuttle picking up curbside.

About Midwilshuttle...I think I read once that you have used them for pick up at LAX. Did they pick up at baggage claim/curbside or did you have to take a shuttle to get to a shuttle lot to catch Midwilshuttle? I saw recently on a Get Away Today video that Karmel is the only shuttle that picks up curbside at LAX. (That is the company GAT partners with.) But I was thinking I read about someone's experience with Midwilshuttle picking up curbside.

It wasnt me. I have used them before, in January but that was all hotel to hotel pick ups. I know I saw the same thing somewhere, hopefully someone will have an answer.

Love your reports, so thorough and interesting with pics of everything. It’s really a treat to experience LA through your eyes!

Tuesday June 28

Finally my first park day.

Desert Inn and Suites has a basic breakfast included with the room rates, so I decided to check it out. I have written a separate post about that as I know many people ask about it. https://www.disboards.com/threads/desert-inn-and-suites-breakfast-review-june-2022.3889924/

As a result I was a little later than expected getting through bag check and into the Esplanade and the lines at the turnstiles were a bit longer than I expected.

I just took my time and it was about 7.45am by the time I was walking up Mainstreet. The hub area was very crowded, so I decided to stay beside The Plaza for the opening announcement and wait until the crowds moved.

rope drop.jpg

By the time I got into Fantasyland, Peter Pan was already at a 35 minute wait at 8.05 am so I went to Snow White instead.

Between 8.05am and 9.30am I did
  • Snow White
  • Toad
  • Dumbo
  • Casey Jr Train
  • Alice
  • Tea Cups
Then checked the App and saw I could get an immediate Lightning Lane return time for Buzz Lightyear, so that was next on my list.

I got some photopass photos at The Partners Statue in the Hub and then went into Frontierland and had a look at the shops and did some pin trading.

hub morning.jpg

I had a look at the App and saw that the Princesses were back meeting in Fantasy Faire, so I decided to go and see what that was like. This was something new to me, as on my January trip this was closed and I never thought about doing it in the before times.

The wait was only 20 minutes so I decided to wait. Aurora and Ariel were there this morning and I had a great chat with both.

princesses.jpg

After meeting the Princesses, I went the back way into Fantasyland through the shops. By now it was almost 11am and I was getting hungry. I decided to mobile order food at Red Rose Tavern.

The menu changes from breakfast at 11am and I was glad I did a mobile order, as the walk up line was out the door. I just walked straight in and collected my food with no wait.

I found a table in the shade outside.

This is one meal I have started to repeat on trips.
Garden Mozzarella Flatbread
Seasoned Tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, Basil, Balsamic Glaze, and Tomato Sauce

The Summer Stuff
Shortbread Cookie, Red Velvet Cake, Raspberry and Pastel-colored Sprinkles

Taverne Cold Brew
Caramel, Vanilla and Cinnamon Cold Brew with Cream

red rose tavern.jpg

While I was eating my food, I checked the App and bought the Individual Lightning Lane for Rise of the Resistance for the afternoon.

I also booked a Lightning Lane for Star Tours.

After my food I walked through Fantasyland which was now crowded with families and so many strollers and headed into Adventureland.

Tiki Room was just about to start so I went in.

When I came out of Tiki Room, it was just after 12.30pm and getting hot, so I decided to have a look in the Main Street shops and have some cool out time.

Along the way, I found two more Photopass photographers, one on Main Street near Coke Corner and one at The Train Station.

My Star Tours Lightning Lane window opened at 1.30pm so before I scanned in I refilled my water bottle at Galatic Grill.

It was now after 2pm, and I had a Hungry Bear Fantasmic Dining Package food pick up at 3pm, so I decided to go across to Adventureland and have a look in the shops in New Orleans Square before picking up my food.

I know many people have questions about this, so I have written a separate post about the Hungry Bear Fantasmic food https://www.disboards.com/threads/hungry-bear-fantasmic-dining-package-review-june-2022.3889929/

While I was eating my food, I booked Haunted Mansion Lightning Lane.

My Rise of The Resistance Lightning Lane return window opened at 3.55pm. The standby wait time was 85 minutes but it took me about 5 minutes to get to the first room with Ray.

After Rise of The Resistance my Haunted Mansion Lightning Lane return window opened up, so I walked back to New Orleans Square.

I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon / evening in Galaxys Edge before going to the Fantasmic viewing section.

I did Millennium Falcon singer rider twice in a row, both times walk on. The first time I was engineer, the second time I managed to talk to the family I was assigned to and switch to pilot. They were first time riders with 2 kids under 5. They wanted the kids to be pilots but I explained that the kids were too small and it was too involved. There was another single rider in the group and both of us switched with the kids to be pilots.

After Millennium Falcon I had a wander though the shops, got some food at Docking Bay 7 for Fantasmic and refilled my water bottle.

At Docking Bay 7 I got
Ishi Tib-style Pasta with Braised Beef Bantha
Beef Pot Roast, Coconut Curry Sauce, Pasta, Mixed Vegetables

and
Vintian Mineral Mousse
Banana Brûlée-centered Dark Chocolate Mousse, Strawberry Mousse, Vanilla Chantilly, Chocolate Crumble, Cherry Garnish

docking bay 7.jpg

I asked for take out boxes so that I could eat them later in the Fantasmic viewing area.

Having seen how crowded today has been, I decided to go to the Fantasmic viewing area line up around 6.45pm. I am so glad I did. There was already one family in the Hungry Bear line and the CM's were already in the area, preparing the ropes and sections.

At about 7.45pm we were moved up to the roped area and then just before 8pm we were allowed into the actual viewing area.

I got a spot at the railings almost beside the Blue Bayou people.

The Hungry Bear section filled up fast but there seemed to be less people in the Blue Bayou section.

hungrey bear viewing area.jpg

After Fantasmic, I stayed and stood at the railings to watch the fireworks. I think this is my favourite way to see them, standing at the railings with no one in front of me.

After the fireworks, I took my time leaving the area and noticed that the train was just pulling in to New Orleans Station. So instead of trying to get though all the crowds, I took the train to Tomorrowland.

I walked though Tomorrowland and noticed the time and decided to see if I could catch a spot to see Main Street Electric Parade. I found a spot at the railings just outside The Plaza , and while I was a good way back, I still had a good view as the people at the curb were all sitting down.

msep.jpg

I wanted to stay later but after the Parade I decided I was done for the day. I slowly made my way up Main Street, mainly in the shops on The Plaza side.

It was just after 11pm when I got back to my hotel.

Park Day 1 Summary
  • 8am to 11pm
  • 7 rides standby
  • 1 Individual Attraction Lightning Lane
  • 3 Genie+ Lightning Lanes
  • Photopass x 3 locations
  • Princess Meet and Greet
  • Tiki Room
  • Train
  • Fantasmic
  • Main Street Electric Parade

Last edited:
Wednesday June 29

Today was my first day at California Adventures Park. However, instead of doing open close full days in the park like I do in Disneyland Main Park, I decided to do two half days in the park and 2 half days in Downtown Disney.

This morning I had a breakfast reservation at La Brea Bakery at 10.15am.

I had a bit of a rest this morning and was on the move , leaving my hotel room by 9am.

By the time I got to The Esplanade, I had some time to wait before my reservation, so I decided to scan into California Adventures Park and have a look at the shops on Buena Vista Street. Another reason to scan in to the park even though I hadn't planed to go on rides until the afternoon was to activate my Genie+ so that I could book Lightning Lanes for the afternoon even though I wasn't in the park.

I had a good look in the shops and then went back out to Downtown Disney and checked in for my breakfast reservation at La Brea Bakery.

This is the second time I have had breakfast here, the first time was on my January trip and I decided to come back for my June trip.

I got the same as I did before
Pecan Stuffed French Toast filled with Cream Cheese Blend and Pecans topped with Bananas, fresh Berries and Powdered Sugar
Coffee

breakfast.jpg

After breakfast I had a wander though the shops in Downtown Disney. I walked all the way down to the bag check and exit.

I left Downtown Disney and decided to walk to Paradise Pier Hotel. I have done this "walk" so many times on Google maps, so now I wanted to see what it was like in real life.

Paradise Pier Hotel would be the only onsite hotel that could realistically be in my budget in a few years, so I wanted to see if paying a higher price than the Harbour Boulevard Motels would be worth it for me.

Also I collect pins and I wanted to buy the hotel pin to complete my Disneyland Hotel set.

So the walk is a big nope for me. I guess I am too spoiled by the 7 minute walk on Harbour Boulevard. In my day to day life I have to walk 20 minutes to get to the mall, so when I am on holiday I have a very low tolerance for walking distances.

paradise pier hotel.jpg

The hotel is nice, but the walk from Downtown Disney is a deal breaker for me. When I go to Disney, I don't need a "nice" hotel , so spending the extra money for a pool and indoor corridors and a "nicer" room with Disney themeing is not worth it for me.

After buying the hotel pin in the shop, I sat for a while in the lobby area. I checked the App and did a mobile food order at Pyms Test Kitchen for 6.30pm and booked Toy Story Lightning Lane for 3.30pm.

Once I was done checking the App, I decided to walk back to Disneyland Hotel and get a Dole Whip with Rum from Tangaroa Terrace. Its expensive but a nice treat.
dole whip.jpg

Then I went to have a look at the shops in the hotel.

After a good look around the shops, I went back to Downtown Disney.

It was almost 2pm and I was really feeling the heat and needed some coffee, so I decided to try a Classic Coffee Shake from Black Tap.

I guess today is the day of icecreams, lol

black tap.jpg

I sat for a while and then decided to go back into California Adventures park through the Grand California Hotel entrance.

I ha planned to go into Little Mermaid on my way to Pixar Pier but the queue was long. I sat at the benches at the entrance and finished my coffee shake. I checked the App and saw the wait time for Little Mermaid was 30 minutes, omg, thats bad, the park must be heaving today.

While I was sitting there I booked Monster Inc Lightning Lane.

My Toy Story Lightning Lane window had a return time of 3.30pm so I walked over there.

Wow standyby was crowded. As I scanned in for my Lighting Lane, the standby time changed to 120 minutes but I heard the cm's say it was nearer to 140 minutes.

I waited 20 minutes in the Lighting Lane queue after scanning in. I watched the cm at the merge point. He would allow 6 people from the standby through and then about 20 people from the Lighting Lane.

Toy Story took longer than I expected so now I decided to head to Radiator Springs and do Single Rider.
But when I got there, the standby line was 85 minutes and single rider was back up to the first bridge, which is approx 40 minute wait.

California Adventures felt really crowded and hot today and I really wasnt in the mood to wait 40 minutes in single rider, so I went into Avengers Campus.

But then when I checked the App, both Monsters Inc and Web Slingers were down. This was 4.30pm

This is not a good day for rides in DCA, but I didnt mind, I just like being there and soaking up the atmosphere.

I sit for a while in Avengers Campus and then I check the App and finally Web Slingers is back. But by the time I get there single rider line has filled up and standby is 60 minutes.

I check the app and can get an Individual Attraction Lightning Lane which opens in 5 minutes so I buy that.

My Monsters Inc Lightning Lane was supposed to be for 5.30pm but its still down and has now converted to a Multi Experience Lightning Lane.

I decide to go over to Studio 17 the Avengers Merchandise shop near Monsters Inc.

My Pyms Test Kitchen pick up time is 6.30pm, so I go back into Avengers Campus and get my food. I also refill my water bottle here.

I got
Not so Little Chicken Sandwich
Fried Chicken Breast, Teriyaki and Red Chili Sauces, and Pickled Cabbage Slaw on Brioche, served with crispy Potato Bites

pym.jpg

I stayed for about an hour. I checked the App and say that Monsters Inc was finally back so I went to use my multi experience Lightning Lane.

By now it was nearly 8pm and after checking the shops in Hollywood Land and Buena Vista Street, I decided it was too crowded to find a decent standby spot for World of Color. I decided to have an early night and then get up early to rope drop in the morning.

By the time I got back to my hotel it was about 9pm.

Park Day 2 Summary
  • 3pm to 8pm
  • 2 Genie + Lightning Lanes
  • 1 Individual Attraction Lightning Lane

Thursday June 30

Today was my second half day at California Adventures. I had made my park reservation when they became available but then a few weeks before my trip Disney announced an after hours special event Grad Night Reunion. Their tickets were valid from 5pm and the park closed to the general public at 8pm, so I decided to be in the park in the morning and afternoon and leave early.

I was a bit later on the move than planned so it was around 9.30am by the time I was scanning in at the turnstile.

grad night sign.jpg

grad night 1.jpg

First on my plan this morning is Carsland, as yesterday was such a disaster for rides.

I did Maters and Lugis and then by 10.30am it was time for Radiator Springs.

Single Rider was about 5 minutes and then I was in a car and we were off.

All fine until the Paint Shop section. We had just moved off and were the next car to get matched with a race partner when the ride stopped.

Well this is something new. All the animatics stopped and the ride audio stopped and there were several announcements to stay in the cars. After about 15 minutes, everything came back on and we started moving again.

When we got to the end, to the unloading / loading area, the CM said we could stay on and go again. The family got off but me and another single rider stayed on.

As I walked though Carsland I saw a photopass photographer at the Carsland sign, so I stopped for some photos.

carsland sign.jpg

From there it was time for a morning snack so it was into Pacific Wharf and Ghirardelli.

I got a Frozen White Mocha

white mocha.jpg

While I had my drink, I checked the App and booked Toy Story Lightning Lane.

At Pacific Wharf I found a photo op for tonights events.

grad night 2.jpg

Refreshed it was on the Little Mermaid, a 5 minute wait, much better than yesterday.

After Little Mermaid I went over to Pixar Pier for my 1pm Toy Story Lightning Lane.

After Toy Story I sat for a while in the shaded seating area looking into Incrdicoaster and booked Soarin Lightning Lane.

I was getting a bit hungry , so I decided to go over to Little Mermaid area and check out the food places at Paradise Gardens area. When I was here in January, this area was the Lunar New Year food stalls. But now with no food festival, they were back to their normal menus.

At Paradise Garden Grill I got
North Carolina-style BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich with BBQ beans

pulled pork.jpg

After my food, I went the back way to Soarin to redeem my Lightning Lane at 2.30pm

After Soaring I checked the App and booked Monsters Inc Lightning Lane. I saw that Web Slingers had an almost immediate return time so I bought the Individual Attraction Lightning Lane.

After Web Slingers it was nearly 4pm and I refilled my water bottle at Pyms. Monsters Inc was down and my Lightning Lane had converted to an Anytime Experience pass.

At this stage I didnt really want to go back deep into the park, so I decided to just do some shopping at Studio 17 and Buena Vista Street.

I just happened to be sitting in the shade at the entrance checking the App, when I realized it was 5pm and all the Grad Night Reunion ticket holders were starting to enter the park. The CMs had roped off some of the entrance turnstiles just for them and when they got their ticket scanned , they were given special lanyards.

grad night 3.jpg

Within a few minutes you could really see the impact they made on crowds as the wait times on rides increased.

After seeing that I decided it was time to leave , so I went into Downtown Disney and had another wander through World of Disney.

At 6.30pm I had a reservation at Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen

I got
Fried Chicken BLT Po-Boy
Cajun-spiced Fried Chicken, Applewood-smoked Bacon, Romaine Lettuce, Roma Tomatoes, Creole Mustard Aïoli, served with Jalapeño Bacon Potato Salad
Pineapple Milk
Skyy Pineapple Vodka, Piña Colada Mix, and Dole Pineapple Juice
chicken.jpg

After my meal, I took my time going back to my hotel and was back in my room for about 8pm.

Tomorrow is my last park day and I wanted to get up early for rope drop.

Park Day 3 Summary
  • 9.30am to 5pm
  • Single rider x 2
  • Standyby x 3
  • Genie+ Lightning Lane x 2
  • Individual Attraction Lightning Lane x 1

Friday July 1

Today was my last park and as normal I had made a reservation for Disneyland Main Park. A few weeks before my trip Disney announced that Pirates of The Caribbean would be reopening today.

Oh goodness, what excitement on my last day. Usually I am following a ride opening here on Disboards but now I get to be part of one.

So as a result I was up and out of my room by 7am, got my coffee and a pastry and headed over to join the madness.

This morning I decided just to see what would happen if I actually made an effort to walk with purpose down Main Street and join a rope drop crowd.

I fund myself at the edge of the Adventureland crowd at the Jolly Holiday hedge, kinda near the top of the crowd.

Over the years of going to concerts and events, I am used to being in large crowds and having to hustle for a spot. Its amazing how muscle memory returns and I just automatically know where I feel safest and how I can walk with purpose when I have to.

The opening announcement plays and then we were off. It was a bit mad and crazy but again muscle memory and I just automatically weaved my way around and through people, and somehow managed to get to the entrance of Pirates and be in the top group, again at the side. This was my view at 8.10am :)

pirates.jpg

I was close enough to the entrance to see the Cm's inside, doing preparations. They kept trying to get the crowd to move by saying to come back later and check the App. Again my experience from concerts and events came in handy, I just knew not to move. The crowd did shift a bit and I did get a bit closer to the entrance and I could see the Cm's open the main doors and then above us on the bridge I watched them set up the rope barriers. Again I just automatically knew not to move.

I had plenty of time to look around and people watch. It was so funny to see so many YouTubers, some I recognized, most I didn't. There was even someone standing behind me live streaming, but I didn't recognize the voce.

Finally about 8.50am the atmosphere changed and then at 8.55 the cms opened the rope barrier and we walked through the whole rope barrier area, up over the bridge and then back down to the normal chain barrier queue.

Both side of the chain barrier were open and I just went right, which I somehow feel is a shorter walk than the left side.

At 9.am I was in the boat loading area. The atmosphere was amazing. Each time a boat was loaded and moved off a big cheer went up.

I could see the boats coming back to the loading area and I couldn't believe that the boat I was loaded into was still part of the first rotation. It was empty when it arrived at the loading.

This was so cool, to be part of the first boat rotation, be in the first group of people to ride Pirates after the big closure.

After the madness of Pirates, I had a walk around the shops in New Orleans Square and then saw that Haunted Mansion had a 5 minute wait so I went there next.

I was getting a bit hungry by now so I decided to see if Jolly Holiday was till serving breakfast. I got

Fruit and Yoghurt Parfait
Latte

breakfast jolly holiday 2.jpg

While I was having my food, I checked the App and booked Big Thunder Mountain Lightning Lane.

Refreshed I next headed to Frontierland and had a look in the shops and then made my way over to Big Thunder Mountain.

That was an interesting ride, I was in the front row of a carriage and the group behind me were first timers. It was so funny hearing their screams and reactions.

As I walked back through Frontierland I saw that the Mark Twain was on the way to the loading area, so that was my next thing. As I have an umbrella I decided to sit at the chairs right in the front. Theres no shade here so most people avoid this part, but I was fine under my umbrella (ella ella hey ho.... ooppps ahem back to the trip report )

While I was on the Mark Twain I checked the App and bought Rise of The Resistance Individual Attraction Lane.

I also saw that Story Telling at The Royal Theatre was due to start soon, so again something new to me.

This was closed on my January trip and in the before times I never got around to seeing this.

The 12.45pm show I went to was a retelling of Tangled. All the children were sat t the front of the stage and I managed to get a seat at the back.

Theres about 4 actors, Rapunzel and Flynn and then two others who take turns narrating and playing the other parts. Its a fun retelling , with gags and slapstick comedy.

story time.jpg

After the show I needed to use the restroom and I walked over to the themed Alice restrooms beside The Materhorn. As I came out, the mini Cavalcade was just passing by, which was great timing.

I had a 2pm reservation at Cafe Orleans so I walked back through Adventureland and New Orleans Square and had a wander through the shops.

At Cafe Orleans I had
Ratatouille Farro Risotto
Market Vegetables, Blistered Cherry Tomatoes and Wilted Greens

Vanilla Crème Brûlée
Vanilla Custard, Caramelized Sugar and Seasonal Compote

Mint Julip

risotto.jpg

creme brulee.jpg

A nice surprise was that I got refill of the mint Julip :)

While I was having my food I checked the App and booked Buzz Lightyear Lightning Lane

When I was finished I went over to Tomorrowland to redeem my Buzz Lightyear Lightning Lane.

After Buzz Lightyear, I checked the App and booked an almost immediate return Lightning Lane for Star Tours.

I scan in for my Star Tours Buzz Lightning Lane and within about 10 minutes Im assigned pod C, the CM checks the yellow straps, closes the door and we are off on our adventure.

Or so we thought.

The screen goes down, but then it goes back up and there is an announcement that this flight has been cancelled, and the doors open. Everyone sits there for a few seconds and then we all unbuckle and stand up.

Most people just leave, but about 15 of us just stand in the unloading area confused as to what to do.

I see a CM at another pod and ask her but she is loading her own pod and has no idea what happened with ours. A Team Leader appears and she says to ask him.

The team leader is confused as well as it seems to be just an issue with our pod, pod C. He tells us to wait in the side area and then goes to make a phone call.

He comes back and tells us to go back to the front entrance and the cm's there will tell us what to do.

So 15 of us, still with our 3D glasses walked together through the shop, out and back down to the front of the Queue. When we tell the cms who we are they direct us to a cm door and tell us to go up the stairs.

Well this is an adventure :)

At the top of the stirs we find we have by passed the whole queue and are back in the ride loading area.

The CM at the first pod has no idea what is happening, 15 people come up through a CM only entrance and now in his pod. He gets on a phone and eventually he gets told what has happened and assigns us rows in his pod.

Eventually we are off on a proper Star Tours adventure :)

It was now 4pm and after all the excitement of Star Tours, I decided to get a snack and sit for a while at The Hub.

I went to Maurices Treats beside The Royal Theatre.

I got Garlic Bagel Cheese Twist with a side of Cream Cheese.

twist.jpg

After sitting for about 40 minutes, just enjoying the atmosphere and people watching, I took my time going back to Galaxys Edge to redeem my Rise of The Resistance Lightning Lane at 5.55pm.

Rise of The Resistance I had a wander through Black Spire Market Place and used the Data Pad feature on the Play Disney App to "hack" a few places.

Then I went over to Millennium Falcon. The single rider line was empty so I walked straight to the group assignment area. Again I managed to talk to the group and switch to Pilot.

After Millennium Falcon ride I came out and saw a photopass photographer, so I did another photoshoot.

Millennium Falcon.jpg

I walked back through New Orleans Square and Adventureland. It was very crowded so I decided to just keep going and go out to Main Street. I avoided the crowds by staying in the shops.

I hadnt planned it, but just as I came out of The Emporium by The Fire Station, I realized that Main Street Electric Parade was about to start. I managed to find a space to sit on the wall near Guest Services.

Again I managed to get an good last minute viewing spot for the parade.

After the parade decided to stay for the fireworks but I moved into the centre hub so that I could see down Main Street.

This was a new viewing place for me, I have never seen the animations projected onto the Main Street buildings.

It was now 10pm and I decided that watching the fireworks was a great way to end my trip so I joined the stream pf people leaving the park.

When I got back to my hotel, it was time to pack up and get things ready for check out and my journey home tomorrow.

Park Day 4 Summary
  • Standby x 2
  • Single Rider x 1
  • Genie + Lightning Lane x 3
  • Individual Attraction Lightning Lane x 1
  • Cavalcade
  • The Royal Theatre
  • Main Street Electric Parade
  • Fireworks
  • Photopass

Last edited:
The joyous, casual way you can just please yourself all day makes me jealous that I haven't done a solo trip yet. I had one booked for Disney 10K in February 2021 but COVID ruined it. One day........

The joyous, casual way you can just please yourself all day makes me jealous that I haven't done a solo trip yet. I had one booked for Disney 10K in February 2021 but COVID ruined it. One day........
Aww thanks so much :) I guess because it takes so much effort to get there and I have such limited time, I try to make the most of it. Disneyland is my happy place and I just totally disconnect from reality.

People think being solo in the parks or really any solo travel is lonely or that you get bored but the reality is totally different.

Hopefully you can get to the Disney 10k again :)

Saturday July 2

Today is my last day and my travel day.

Check out is 11am but I was on the move and ready to leave by 10am.

I got everything together and went down to the front lobby and asked about bag storage. Just like on my arrival day, the staff member put my small roller beside my large roller and wrote 2 bags on the bag reclaim ticket. Fine by me, although I did have change for the lockers, which I dint need.

Once my bags were sorted, I went over to Downtown Disney.

I walked through World of Disney again and then next door to Starbucks for a late breakfast, as I had missed the hotel breakfast.

starbucks.jpg

I spent a while just people watching and enjoying the atmosphere of Downtown Disney and then had a look in Marceline’s and The Dress Shop.

I had arranged to meet a friend a 12pm, so we headed backed to Starbucks and had a good catchup.

Just after 1pm I said goodbye to my friend, and it was time for some last-minute shopping. I wanted to bring home some treats from Marceline’s like I did in January.

I forgot to take a photo of the Rice Krispie Treat and the cake pops, but I did take a photo of the Grogu Caramel Apple. This time I asked for the plastic container that Marceline’s hd on the plain Caramel Apples to bring Gogu back to Ireland. His ears were a bit squashed but other than that he travelled ok.

grugo.jpg

I was back at the hotel by 2pm and after getting my bags from the luggage store I went into the rest room to change from Disney clothes to my travel clothes. I also had to repack a few things to make my bags ready for TSA checks.

Once I finished repacking, I sat for a while in the lobby, as I had booked Midwilshuttle for a 3pm pickup.

The car arrived on time, and it was the same driver who brought me from Downtown LA to Anaheim.

Traffic on the freeway was ok, but it took 20 minutes from the freeway off ramp at LAX to get to Tom Bradley International Terminal. Traffic started building just after Terminal 2.

Once inside it was very busy, but I managed to find my airline check in and bag drop area.

I joined the queue and sent my friend a text to let her know I was at the airport. She arrived 10 minutes later, while I was till in the queue, which was good timing.

After getting rid of our bags, we then headed upstairs to TSA security check. No issues there as both of us travel a lot and are well used to TSA. Despite the chaos downstairs it only took us about 20 minutes to get through, which is fine.

Neither of us had been in this terminal in years, as the flights to Ireland usually go from Terminal 2, so we were a bit disorientated. The main shopping and food concourse is huge, but we managed to get some food and then check the monitor to find our gate.

It was just as well we had plenty of time before our flight, as it took us 20 minutes to walk from the food and shopping area to our gate area. We were not expecting that!

Our flight ended up being delayed by an hour due to the late arrival of the inbound flight.

It was a full flight, but we had planned this trip back in January, so my friend was able to book the window seat beside me. On this plane, economy seats were 2 4 2, so we didn’t have a random person in our row.

The flight time was approx. 10 hours

Scheduled LAX departure 8pm Saturday July 2

Scheduled Dublin arrival 2pm Sunday July 3

We were served our main meal about 2 hours into the flight. I chose the chicken and rice, which was nice. My friend ordered a Gluten Free meal and got poached salmon salad which was a nice surprise.

plane.jpg

When we arrived in Dublin, it took a while to get off the plane as everyone was a bit disorientated. We were quickly through passport check as we both have Irish passports, but there was a big queue over on the other side as half our plane were Americans.

After all the horror stories of bags going missing, we were both surprised to see our bags already going round on the carousel as we walked up to it.

Then it was out of the airport to find a taxi home. My friend was staying with me overnight before getting the train to her family the next day.

Glad to hear your flight home was uneventful and your friend is back in home territory, even for just awhile.

I hope your cruise is filled with magic and I’ll be watching for that report!

Starting Aug 8th I think, Paradise Pier will have its own designated entrance into DCA, if that changes your "staying on property" calculus at all. 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter