Placeholder refund

smiths02

DIS Veteran
We booked a placeholder on our cruise in June 2018. If we decide not to use it, will it automatically refund at 24 months or do we have to call and get the refund before?

We booked a placeholder on our cruise in June 2018. If we decide not to use it, will it automatically refund at 24 months or do we have to call and get the refund before?

It will cancel automatically and you'll get a refund to your original form of payment. It just happened to us a few months ago.

Either way works. If you know there's no chance you'll cruise before the placeholder expires, and/or want the refund now, you can call to cancel it. If you allow the placeholder to expire, the refund will come automatically.

This is so funny as earlier in the day I was thinking of asking the same question! Ours expires in December and I don’t think we’ll be able to fit a trip in but I guess I’ll just let it expire just in case

What happens if the card you used for the placeholder is no longer - either because you cancelled the card or the expiry date is different?

What happens if the card you used for the placeholder is no longer - either because you cancelled the card or the expiry date is different?

If it with the same bank and a new card - either because of expiration or fraud - it is the same account and the refund will be applied. (As a bank rep explained it to me when I had a refund coming with a new card due to fraud, "We figure anyone who stole the information is not going to be putting money ON the account.")

If the account is closed and you no longer have an account with that bank, they should issue a check to you. I also had that happen with money that went back to an old account. The bank contacted me - I think by mail - to verify my address and sent a check.

As another poster learned, it is best not to tell them that the card is cancelled because then they will say you have to jump through all kinds of hoops because the assumption when someone says that a card was cancelled is that the person is just wanting it as a check and so they want proof that it is closed.

If it with the same bank and a new card - either because of expiration or fraud - it is the same account and the refund will be applied. (As a bank rep explained it to me when I had a refund coming with a new card due to fraud, "We figure anyone who stole the information is not going to be putting money ON the account.")

If the account is closed and you no longer have an account with that bank, they should issue a check to you. I also had that happen with money that went back to an old account. The bank contacted me - I think by mail - to verify my address and sent a check.

As another poster learned, it is best not to tell them that the card is cancelled because then they will say you have to jump through all kinds of hoops because the assumption when someone says that a card was cancelled is that the person is just wanting it as a check and so they want proof that it is closed.

:thumbsup2 Gotcha. Makes sense.

That's the way it should work but doesn't always. I booked a hotel for Colonial Williamsburg using my Marriott VISA at the Marriott in CW. A one night deposit was required because of the Grand Illumination weekend. Booked it February. Cancelled two weeks prior in November. However, during the interim time frame my card was compromised and was issued a new number. When my December statement came, I noticed no refund. Called Chase Bank (the issuer of the card) they gave me a temporary refund while the investigated. A few weeks later got a call from the Marriott saying they were trying to refund but the credit card was not valid. That is when I remembered that the original card had been compromised months earlier. I gave the hotel the new number and it has been resolved.

Last edited:
That's the way it should work but doesn't always. I booked a hotel for Colonial Williamsburg using my Marriott VISA at the Marriott in CW. A one night deposit was required because of the Grand Illumination weekend. Booked it February. Cancelled two weeks prior in November. However, during the interim time frame my card was compromised and was issued a new number. When my December statement came, I noticed no refund. Called Chase Bank (the issuer of the card) the gave me a temporary refund while the investigated. A few weeks later got a call from the Marriott saying they were trying to refund but the credit card was not valid. That is when I remembered that the original card had been compromised months earlier. I gave the hotel the new number it had it has been resolved.

Very weird. Especially since that card is through Chase. That's who specifically told me that the compromised card would allow refunds but nothing could be taken out from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter