Place for a Universal Workation??

paday2

Earning My Ears
I'd like to stay in the Universal area late February with the idea of doing my work-at-home gig during the day and hitting the parks in the evening. I have scoured VRBO and AirBNB for hours and vacation rentals just don't seem to have a desk suitable for sitting for 8 hours at a time. I will want a kitchen (I really don't want to do 8 days of takeout) so I've looked at extended stay hotels but they take the 'ation' out of workation by being pretty drab and not a place my spouse would like to spend the day while I am working. Anyone have a suggestion - hopefully I am not thinking of something?

It sounds like maybe renting a timeshare property might work in your favor. A lot of them are basically full apartments. And of course Orlando is timeshare heaven. I suspect there are more here than anywhere else in the world. :)

I'd suggest looking over at the Timeshare Users Group (TUG) website for possible options. Their website is tug2.net. There is a last minute area where they don't let anyone charge more than $800/week for anything. And another area for requests. I quite often see 1, 2 even 3 bedroom units in Orlando in those lists.

Any interest in WDW? You may be able to rent DVC points in the current environment. Getting a 1BR would give you a kitchen, laundry, separate spaces. Your spouse would have the option to use Disney transportation to go somewhere like Disney Springs during the day or use the pool at the resort. Saratoga Springs is walkable to Disney Springs and Old Key West runs a boat, and these would be two of the easiest resorts to book this late. You could book as a cash reservation, but renting DVC points would be cheaper and seemingly not too difficult now like it would normally be. Just be mindful that there is no canceling a DVC rental if you're not able to go (you can cancel if you book a cash reservation through Disney).

Also, John and Kevin from the DIS Unplugged podcast (the owners of the Dis Boards) own vacation rentals called Dreams Villas of Orlando. Full townhouses, great prices, and the complex has a pool and fitness center. I quickly glanced through the photos and don't see a dedicated desk/workspace in the units, but they do have a dining room table or snack bar where I know I could set up shop to work from home. There's also a clubhouse with tables.

I'd also suggest checking out the townhouse style rentals at Margaritaville Orlando and Westgate.

IMO, I think finding a separate desk/workspace at a vacation rental in Orlando may be a difficult task. These properties are catering towards families and vacationing folks. Properties that are catering towards business travelers would be inclined to have an ideal workspace, but that would also likely be typical hotel rooms that don't have a kitchen.

Last edited:
One more option for you might be a Residence Inn by Marriott. There is very close to Universal (virtually walking distance and has a shuttle to Universal). Their 1 bedroom units are usually very reasonably priced and come with both a kitchen and a desk area. There is another Residence Inn a little further away (i.e. about 2 miles from Universal) next to the Millenia Mall if that location works better for you, but I don't think it has a shuttle to Universal. At either a 1 bedroom suite provides you essentially an apartment, plus they normally include free breakfast and a few days a week, they might even provide dinner. Though with the Pandemic, not sure what either is actually providing at this time.

Have you looked at park hours for your dates? (They can, and most likely, will change)
Parks have been operating on reduced hours, and sometimes only staying open until 7 or 8 pm.
If your workday maybe ends at 5:00pm, will that give you enough time to enjoy the parks?
Just something to think about...

Are they currently running this boat? I had thought not (we just booked a few nights there for next week last second). Well if so, that's good to know.
I'm not sure if its running right now or not. If not, there would be a bus to DS at least.

I'm not sure if its running right now or not. If not, there would be a bus to DS at least.
Thanks - yeah I know there is a bus (and we can walk, which is mainly why we booked there), but I thought the boat wasn't running currently so I was curious if I was wrong or not.

The boats to
CotyWalk were operating from Open Resorts during holiday week.
Have you checked the floor plan for Cabana Bay Family Suite ? Recommend w/pool view for large window

I'd like to stay in the Universal area late February with the idea of doing my work-at-home gig during the day and hitting the parks in the evening. I have scoured VRBO and AirBNB for hours and vacation rentals just don't seem to have a desk suitable for sitting for 8 hours at a time. I will want a kitchen (I really don't want to do 8 days of takeout) so I've looked at extended stay hotels but they take the 'ation' out of workation by being pretty drab and not a place my spouse would like to spend the day while I am working. Anyone have a suggestion - hopefully I am not thinking of something?
I'm not sure how close you want to be, but you might want to check out Marriott's Cypress Harbour Villas. 2br units with a full kitchen and screened-in patio. This is a timeshare, but you can book rooms there on-line. We've stayed at several different timeshare places in the Orlando area and this is my favorite thus far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter