Pitiful Newbie who is so overwhelmed... Help Please!

TravelFairy

Earning My Ears
Hey Everyone!! I've posted a few times, and everyone has been so helpful. Thank you!!! I am so glad to have found this board.
It's been almost 10 years since we've been to WDW, and we are SOOOOO looking forward to going back this summer! Thing is, we also feel like Newbies to the US because we've been living overseas for the past several years. Y'all are talking about stuff I have never heard of!! I have never felt so stupid!! ha ha!!

Here are some of my questions (watch out... you may laugh! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: )

1. What is a Pal Mickey? Where do they come from, and what do they do?

2. I know the definition of lanyard and pin, but What Are you talking about? Do you buy them before you go to DW, or there... what do you do with the pins, are they expensive.... ?

3. My family likes to watch shows sometimes, but they want to spend the majority of their time in active things... are there are enough active games and rides to keep a 10 yr old busy all day at MGM, or is that a better HALF day visit?

I'm sure I have more crazy Qs, but I don't want to wear out my welcome.
Thanks to all you brave souls who feel like helping!!! :sunny:

TravelFairy said:

2. I know the definition of lanyard and pin, but What Are you talking about? Do you buy them before you go to DW, or there... what do you do with the pins, are they expensive.... ?

3. My family likes to watch shows sometimes, but they want to spend the majority of their time in active things... are there are enough active games and rides to keep a 10 yr old busy all day at MGM, or is that a better HALF day visit?

1. pal mickey is a sort of interactive Mickey doll,It's kinda cool/When you buy it. It downloads stuff in the park.Then it vibrates and will tell you little facts.it will tell you where you can find mickey or goofy for pics and autographs at that exact moment.Also will remind you when parades are gonna start.It will tell you jokes and kids can play games with him.It will tell you lttle facts about the rides/areas of disney your in at that moment(yes he knows where you are)I remember you used to be able to rent one at the parks a while ago,not sure if you could still.

2. A while back certain packages when booked you recieved one lanyard and 1 or 2 pins.Not sure if they still do this.At just about every place in disney,stores,parks,ride exits,resorts they will sell pins that you can buy some are as cheap as 2 bucks but some are alot more.The nicer the pin the more money,of course.You can keep them or trade them with other park guest or employees at disney.Just about every disney cast member has a lanyard on and will trade with you.In addition to the pins they will also sell nicer lanyards that you can buy and once again the nicer the more expensive.Btw don't worry about looking foolish as many adults do this trading as kids, all can do it.If you see someone with a lanyard and you see they have a pin you want just walk up to them and try to trade one or two of your pins for thiers.

3. Mgm Is a great park and depending on what this 10 y/o likes there are many many things to do at mgm.Tower of terror and the areosmith roller coaster are a couple things to strat off with.They have star tours,the back lot tour,Lights motors action show(new,but well liked)Just to name a few. I think mgm is a good place for a 10 y/o or for that matter any age.I do believe mgm can keep a whole family with many different ride taste's busy for the whole day.

Any other questions don't be afraid to ask,there are many helpful folks here and have a blast planning.

some of the stuff to do at mgm,
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith
Star Tours - the ultimate Star Wars™ thrill ride
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™

Fun For Little Ones
"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure

Live Entertainment
Indiana Jones ™ Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage!
Voyage of The Little Mermaid
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It!
Lights, Motors, Action!™ Extreme Stunt Show

Step into the world where showbiz is to find yourself beyond the screen, within the story, in front of the footlights, inside the music and always a part of these awesome attractions.Mild But Wild Thrills
Disney-MGM Studios Backlot Tour

Other Attractions
ATAS Hall of Fame Plaza
Muppet Vision 3-D
Journey Into Narnia: Creating The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
Sounds Dangerous - Starring Drew Carey
The American Film Institute Showcase
The Great Movie Ride
The Magic of Disney Animation
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream

Here are some of my questions (watch out... you may laugh! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: )

Pal Mickey is really cool; my 11 yo son carried him around and was passing on his tips to others around us. You can get a used one on Ebay cheaper than the $65 Disney charges. Actually, I posted here on DIS that I was looking for a used one, and someone offered one up. There's an older and newer version but IMO, the older one is just as good. I don't think you can rent him anymore.

2. I know the definition of lanyard and pin, but What Are you talking about? Do you buy them before you go to DW, or there... what do you do with the pins, are they expensive.... ? You can get Disney pins cheap on Ebay before you go. I bought lots of 4-5 for $12 shipped. It doesn't matter if your kids like the exact pins, because they can trade them-that is the fun part! Just make sure they have Disney copyrighted on the back. I did not see any pins at Disney under $5.95 and many were $8-$12 each. You can also get DIsney lanyards on ebay, but they also have them at the parks.

3. My family likes to watch shows sometimes, but they want to spend the majority of their time in active things... are there are enough active games and rides to keep a 10 yr old busy all day at MGM, or is that a better HALF day visit? There is a lot of stuff at MGM and Fantasmic is really good!

I'm sure I have more crazy Qs, but I don't want to wear out my welcome.
Thanks to all you brave souls who feel like helping!!! :sunny:[/QUOTE]

Feel free to ask your questions. I asked plenty before I went!

Marsha

Welcome.....You can also get pins at mousepinsonline.com. I am also fairly new to the pin trading and this is what someone on another board suggested to me and they sell most of there pins for 2.75.
:teeth:

MGM held more than enough to keep my 14yo, and 12yo busy all day! I bet it will keep your 10yo busy too.

I was at first reluctant about Pal Mickey but my 8 yr old daughter just loves him.
As for MGM I love rides but never cared much for the food (except BD) or the shows at MGM. It's a half day for us. 2 days at MK, 2 at EPCOT and half day at AK. Usually we split a day at one of those parks with a 1/2 day at MK or EPCOT or go to Downtown Disney or water parks.

No matter what you plan you can never get everything done that you want and you'll wantto keep going back LOL just relax and have a great time.

What everyone says about MGM is right on target - I think any 10 year old will have a blast there - my kids did when they were that age. Since it has been a while for you ( me too - 6 years - going again, Nov. 06) you might want to get the unofficial guide to WDW - lots of good info.

Thanks to everyone for your help. We are having a lot of fun planning. I'm sure it will be a great vacation for us!

Be careful of the pins on the lanyards, our 4 yr old lost 4 tinker bell pins the first day. They just fell off with normal walking and moving about. The rubber back of the pin didn't hold securely.

We lost one at WDW too, of course, my son's favorite. You can buy the locking ones for about twice the price in the stores at the parks and resorts. You have to lock and unlock them with a tiny allen wrench(included).

Marsha

The locking backs are nice .

We went with a small Tink pin bag .it's about 5 x 7 and has 4 folding flaps inside .I just think it works better then the lanyards.

You have to cotact walt disney world if you want pal mickey. the only problem is he is VERY HEAVY AND EXPESIVE!! $60.00 And he only works at disney world when your there. once you bring him home he's useless!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter