Pirates vs Princess! Who will prevail?

ythpstr

Earning My Ears
Ok, little cheesy, but hopefully gets your attention and helps me with the dilemma. I'm planning a secret Disney trip, for Spring Break 2014, and going to make this my son (14) & wife's Christmas present. I'm certain I can change it later if my wife prefers a different resort. But hey, the closer I get it to her not having to do anything else the better. And that's why I'll be doing the dinner res & everything else. And I know which of our favs & new restaurants to book, not an issue. But we've stayed off site twice, and at a value level twice. This time I wanted to go moderate. And I'm looking at the Pirate rooms at Caribbean or Royal rooms at Port Orleans. When I consider my son, I lean Pirate for obvious reasons. But then, my wife & I both have a hard time sleeping & I heard those beds are awful. Then I caught a bit of the DIS podcast that seemed to prefer Port Orleans being a better overall choice than Caribbean. At least that was my perception. I was working while listening & my attention was divided, so I might've been mistaken.
So the question; has anyone been in both? If so, what was your preference?
Thanks guys!

Both themes are great, but I think the pirate rooms are a much better theme. I know that CBR still uses the full not queen beds and I assume this is true of the pirate rooms also. I don't know what your sleeping issue is, but other than size, they should be decent mattresses.

I would pick the pirate rooms so it all comes down to your sleep issues and if CBR would work for sleeping. Themes are cool, but if you don't sleep, the rest isn't going to be fun.

We have stayed at both and loved both room decors but the beds are a queen at PO where as they are full at Caribbean. So if that is a issue then the princess beds are a bit bigger. If the bed size is not a issue you could possibly do a split stay between the 2 resorts, unless you are doing the dining plan. Then that becomes a problem. But for my family we love to try different resorts and since they move your luggage for you it's fairly simple to do. Our last trip we did a 3 way split between AOA, YC and the Poly. But either way you will like the rooms.

We have stayed at both and loved both room decors but the beds are a queen at PO where as they are full at Caribbean. So if that is a issue then the princess beds are a bit bigger. If the bed size is not a issue you could possibly do a split stay between the 2 resorts, unless you are doing the dining plan. Then that becomes a problem. But for my family we love to try different resorts and since they move your luggage for you it's fairly simple to do. Our last trip we did a 3 way split between AOA, YC and the Poly. But either way you will like the rooms.

What kind of issues do we run into with the dining plan? Ever since doing it (and staying on site) there isn't another alternative IMO.

What kind of issues do we run into with the dining plan? Ever since doing it (and staying on site) there isn't another alternative IMO.

If you are talking about the free dining plan, both are moderates and would give you the same dining plan. The only question would be availability of free dining at each resort when you are going. The best way to determine that would be to call and they will tell you if free dining is available at both. It was for when we are going in September.

If you are talking about the free dining plan, both are moderates and would give you the same dining plan. The only question would be availability of free dining at each resort when you are going. The best way to determine that would be to call and they will tell you if free dining is available at both. It was for when we are going in September.

I can't see free dining being offered at Spring Break, when the OP is going. I think the "problem" is when you do a split stay with two different packages, you have to have park tickets and dining associated with both packages. Personally, unless you're going to be there for 8 nights or more, I wouldn't do a split stay.

Ok, little cheesy, but hopefully gets your attention and helps me with the dilemma. I'm planning a secret Disney trip, for Spring Break 2014, and going to make this my son (14) & wife's Christmas present. I'm certain I can change it later if my wife prefers a different resort. But hey, the closer I get it to her not having to do anything else the better. And that's why I'll be doing the dinner res & everything else. And I know which of our favs & new restaurants to book, not an issue. But we've stayed off site twice, and at a value level twice. This time I wanted to go moderate. And I'm looking at the Pirate rooms at Caribbean or Royal rooms at Port Orleans. When I consider my son, I lean Pirate for obvious reasons. But then, my wife & I both have a hard time sleeping & I heard those beds are awful. Then I caught a bit of the DIS podcast that seemed to prefer Port Orleans being a better overall choice than Caribbean. At least that was my perception. I was working while listening & my attention was divided, so I might've been mistaken.
So the question; has anyone been in both? If so, what was your preference?
Thanks guys!

For the bed issue alone, I would choose the Royal Rooms. The beds in the pirate rooms are full size. At POR, they are queens and much newer than the pirate beds. Plus, the pirate rooms are really far from the main areas at CBR.

The Royal Rooms are not over-the-top princessy, so I don't think your son will hate the theme. And POR, in my opinion, is a much better resort - it shares amenities with POFQ and you can take a boat to DTD.

I would pick POR over CBR, no matter WHAT room, any day!

Thank you guys for your help on all this. I knew after a few podcasts that I would find a wealth of information & opinion backed by experience here. If I can, one more broader question. Is there a better experience at a comparable price point you'd recommend over these two? Normally I'd do some research on the laptop but my wife is actually out of town doing a class, then she is back for a few days only to leave for three weeks to her moms in Alaska. Only one laptop, and I've thought of getting a second JUST to do the planning g for this, but don't need to give her reason to raise an eyebrow. And they've made pricing a WDW trip on your iPhone impossible it seems. I honestly don't want anyone to put in the work I would (possibly will) do in looking at reviews and comparing cost. But if you at all were thinking while reading this, boy, if I were to spend that $ at WDW I wouldn't pick either room, I'd stay at ________, just shout (or type, probably can't hear you from here) out what's in the blank…
Thanks again for the responses. You guys are great.

And guess I didn't say on the last post, with her class, plus she is days away from getting her first school teacher assignment, she is on the laptop constantly. She's been an aid for years, but after getting her bachelors a few months ago and doing these extra classes she is finally THE class teacher, and with that comes lesson plans & all kinds of other stuff.

Port Orleans was a very impressive resort, and while the theme wasn't as cool as the Pirate rooms (we've been able to see all of those options you mentioned), my wife found Port Orleans more comfortable. You can always look into the Pirate's League or something like that to get the pirate fix!

I can't see free dining being offered at Spring Break, when the OP is going. I think the "problem" is when you do a split stay with two different packages, you have to have park tickets and dining associated with both packages. Personally, unless you're going to be there for 8 nights or more, I wouldn't do a split stay.

Sorry, missed that it was at spring break. Yes, there definitely WON'T be free dining at spring break!

I agree about the split - don't bother unless you are staying a long time.

POR is fantastic, for a moderate you can't do any better. You will be happy there.

Happy suprises!

Well what a amazing (and Magical) twist. I was told it would be awhile before I could change our reservation from December to late March, but then read a thread here that said July 10th. Come July 10th (thank you Dis boards) I made the call and changed our reservation dates and (thanks again Dis boards) changed from the pirate theme to the Royal theme. And I have been thinking about how to spring this Christmas surprise on them both come 12/25. I decided that I would make two YouTube videos, unpublished so you can't see them without the exact URL, and make a video for my wife & one for my son. Then put the video URL on a Disney themed Christmas card. I knew exactly what I would say in my wife's, telling her how she is my beautiful queen and on and on about how if there was a way I could take her somewhere magical where she could, if even for a week, be treated like a queen.
But tying the whole royal theme in with my Football, Tae Kwon Do, video game zombie killing son was gonna be harder. Until an hour ago.
Got an email offering a pretty good discount on our stay covering the same days I had booked. I immediately called intending to save some cash. But while waiting on hold saw the discount went up according to what category you stayed in. So I was presented with an option, either get over $600 back from Disney on my already paid for trip, or pay just over $200 to upgrade. My wife & I both love Animal Kingdom, it's both our favorite park. We believe that we are called to eventually be full time missionaries to Africa, so even the theming tugs at us to the core. And when we went and ate at Boma two trips ago, we just oohed & awed at the AK Lodge. So for just $220 more we went from Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room with River View to a Pool View at our dream lodge!
I have to rethink both videos and what to say in them, but I have a feeling both videos got a bit easier with this incredible change!!! A smiles been plastered on my face since I hung up with Disney! Christmas can't come quick enough!!

We believe that we are called to eventually be full time missionaries to Africa, so even the theming tugs at us to the core. And when we went and ate at Boma two trips ago, we just oohed & awed at the AK Lodge. So for just $220 more we went from Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room with River View to a Pool View at our dream lodge!

As wonderful as POR is, for that small a difference and because of the connection you have with the AKL, go Animal Kingdom! The only reservation I would have is if financially it is unwise. But at only $220 more sounds like that isn't the case, so GO FOR IT!

May God bless your efforts to go to Africa. My Dad lived in Ghana for 3 years and made over 40 trips teaching agricultural methods and clean water sourcing.

I just read your thread for the first time. As I'm reading I'm thinking that I would add my .2 cents but then I saw you already made a perfect decisions. Then I read further and saw the great deal you got for AKL!!!!!!!!!!! So I just want to say congrats. I'm so excited for your family, what a great surprise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter