Pirates of the Carribean closing...

aesalsa

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
My sister's boyfriend went earlier this year, and he came back with the rumor that PoC might be closing for good or being completely re-modeled.

Say it isn't so!

It isn't so.
Really, there not a chance in hades that this rumor is true. Pirates goes down every so often for maintenance, perhaps that is what he heard about.

There is absolutely no way Disney would do that...they need that ride especially with the publicity they have gotten with the movie being such a huge success. PotC merely goes down for rehab every so often as you would expect with a ride including water and animatronics.

I haven't heard anything from any credible sources but I believe it's fairly safe to say that POC is a permanent fixture at the MK. There would be such a cry heard throughout the land if any such plan were floated, that the king would surely relent.

POC is a classic attraction that Walt himself was involved in developing. It's not going anywhere.

Now's a good time for WDW to "shine and buff" a few of the more popular attractions prior to the holiday season.
Jan/Feb is another time you're likely to hear "rumors" of closings--only to find the small grain of truth is they're closed...but for rehab.

Long Live POC !!

I just wanted to say, "Welcome"! Hope you like it here! And thanks for your reassurring words.

Yes, Welcome civilized. I hope you enjoy it here.

I don't think that with as popular as the movie is, and with a sequal already in the works, that anyone would think about closing the ride.

JMHO
:bounce:

Closing? No way!

Adding an audioanimatronic of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom?
Maybe (how's that for an unfounded rumor?)

I'll probably be booed off this board, but IMO, POC needs a major rehab. I'd keep the theme and basic ride, but the animatronics are out-dated, the costumes are pretty poor, and the special effects aren't so special anymore. This is not the kind of thing I think Walt would have wanted to stay as is. I was at WDW two weeks ago with my SIL and her family for the first time. All of them loved most of what WDW had to offer, but they were under-whelmed by some of the things I rave about (POC being chief among them). I think it is a shame that this ride no longer has the wow factor that it once did for new guests, and that should be remedied.

I respect your opinion. I think some additions to PotC--not alterations-would be welcomed by most, IMHO.

Demosthenes - The original Poc in California has alot more wow factor than the one in Florida. The California version went through a major rehab a fer years back and the results were very impressive. The one in Florida is also shorter and less detailed. I love Poc in California, but I agree that Poc in Florida could use some sprucing up.

Hey, Thanks Hound, I will be at DL next month and it is one of the few rides open...

BTMRR, SM, and SW will all be closed.....

:bounce:

I think I'm one of the few people in the world who prefers WDW's POTC to DL's. Of course that's just personal opinion. Going from a bayou to a cave kind of threw me off! The cave portion was a little long to me and I don't like the que very much, but the extra scenes are nice and some of the effects are better.

I did really enjoy lunch at the Blue Bayou though!

Melissa

Originally posted by MelissathePooh
I think I'm one of the few people in the world who prefers WDW's POTC to DL's. Of course that's just personal opinion. Going from a bayou to a cave kind of threw me off! The cave portion was a little long to me and I don't like the que very much, but the extra scenes are nice and some of the effects are better.

I did really enjoy lunch at the Blue Bayou though!

Melissa
The Blue Bayou is cool!

I like the long cave in Dinsyland's PoC, but I understand what you are saying. In fact, I read somewhere that Marc Davis (one of the imagineers who designed the ride) wasn't fond of the caves either. The original plan for PoC was to make it a walk though attraction. It was originally going to be called "The Rouges Gallary" and the entire attraction was going to be housed below New Orleans Square. When they decided to make it a boat ride, it became quickly apparent that the space in the basement would not be enough, so they built a building just outside the berm and put most of the attraction there. The original basement area that was to house the whole attraction became the caves, which are mostly there to get you out of New Orlenes Sqaure, under the railroad tracks and into the main show building. Apparently Mr Davis felt like the caves were an obvious attempt to stall until the real attraction started.

...And the true classics will never be replaced.

What is DL or the MK without the PoC? I think most have assured the author of this post that the ride is going into "refurbishment". This usually happens every year. This ride will not be permanently closed or replaced. I think Disney learned the error of their ways when they closed Mr. Toads Wild Ride for that dreadful Poo-Pooh attraction. You just don't mess with the classics. I know they were going to close the COP but I think they learned a valuable lesson there as well.

Sometimes the Disney folks dream up things that make no sense. Moving COP back to DL is something that I would like to see happen sometime. Innoventions at DL is horrible.

I said over a year ago that I did not support Disney turning their park attractions into movies. That was when they released the flop known as "The Country Bears." I vowed to never see one of these films. As I continued my protest this summer, I see that the PoC movie was a hit. I'm sure that the HM movie will be as well. Nobody turns treasures into trash quite like Disney. I'm waiting for a movie based on the DL parking structure.

As for which version of PoC is best. IMHO the DL version can't be touched. From the que to the finale, this ride can't be beat. Fans of the MK version were robbed of a true classic, just like with It's a Small World. They are still great rides at MK, just not as great.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter