Pirate Museum / Straw Market

DWillowBay

DIS Veteran
So, when I look at a map, these two look like they are an easy walk from the port. Has anyone walked this ? Are there any safety concerns? I will with my 30 year old, autistic, son. He would love the Pirate Museum, but if this is not a safe walk, of course I would not want to do it. I don't want to be off the ship too long and this seemed like a good taste of Nassau without being too much for him. Thanks for any guidance.

I've walked to the museum and around the area with my 11 yr old son with no problem. Neat little place with a lot of information about the history of pirates. The straw market is a huge warehouse with ALOT of vendors vying for your attention. Within walking distance is also the BC Hilton which sells day passes.

We also walked to the museum with 2 10 year olds and a 12 year old. No problems at all. Very campy type fun. The straw market was underwhelming. If your son has issues with crowds or pushy people, you may want to give it a pass.

Enjoy your cruise!!

The straw market is in a clean, well-lighted, roomy, and safe location right there when you get off the ship. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be too many authentic Bahamian items, most look like they were produced in Asia.

This is the third iteration we know of for the straw market. The first two were nearby...the first burned many years ago, I think I remember a two-story wooden structure with a LOT of character. The second was under a huge tent right on the water near the current location. It was more crowded than a teenager's room...you could hardly walk down the aisles, and although we found it to be a blast, it was a bit intimidating to many folks.

The current straw market, though, seems to be Nassau's try at moving toward the modern, clean port shopping areas a number of other ports have (Jamaica and Cabo for example) that don't seem to have character but are well suited to many visitors.

Anyway, it's easy to visit, family friendly, and on the way to the pirate museum in the next block.

We walked to the Pirate Museum many years ago when our children were little and it was definitely doable. I felt safe the whole time. I haven't been to the current straw market, so I can't give my opinion on that. I think the market we went to years ago was a different one, very crowded and busy, sounds like there is a newer nicer one in it's place. Have a great time!!

We walk to the Straw Market every time we stop in Nassau. Mostly because there is a Starbucks nearby, but its a very easy walk and I've always felt safe.

Both are a very reasonable and safe feeling walk from the pier.

That being said, you may want to really think on the straw market. It's LOUD and cramped and the sellers are pushy and in your space. I was uncomfortable, not from a safety standpoint, but from a "space invasion" standpoint. If your son has difficulties with those kinds of scenarios, the straw market may not be the best option.

Thank you everyone for your insights...and alternate ideas. I really appreciate the input. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts