Pirate Cruise/PB&J Uncrustables/Allegeries

LeeAnn

DIS Veteran
Last yr, my kids when on the Pirate Cruise @ YC and they were served PB&J Uncrustables. Since they never had it before, it didn't appeal to them and they did not eat it.

Just recently, my DS had allergic reaction and we believe it was to the PB. So I had him tested and we awaiting the results.

We plan on another Pirate Cruise @ POR and worry what will my DS eat if he is indeed allergic to PB. (luckly he did not try it on the last cruise).

Worried what I have now look out for. The nurse @ Dr's office, really scared me. Keeping my fingers crossed that he is not allergic. If so, what are my options?

From what I've seen on the boards there are no other options. If he can be around peanut butter (just unable to eat it) then there are goldfish and other snacks offered. I would just wait and have him eat lunch after the pirate cruise.

If it's an allergy that's sensitive to even being exposed to peanut butter then you'd better cross pirate cruise off your list.

I have heard that they are good about substitutions if you contact them in advance. But, I guess it will depend on how severe the allergy is. Is is contact? Or ingestion?
Good Luck!!!! I hope he is allergy free:)

Maybe if he can't do the Pirate Cruise, you could take him to DTD and do the build a lightsaber at OUAT or build a dino at T-rex. Just a thought.

Have a wonderful trip!!pixiedust:

Funny you should ask this. I actually emailed Brenda Bennett yesterday with this same exact question (except my child has multiple food allergies). she talked to the chef at Riverside and he said he could substitute a jelly sandwich (on tapioca bread if needed), grapes, chips, fruit snacks, and a juice box. Of course they need advance notice.

If your child has very severe reactions, you may just want to skip it, though because I don't know how well trained the cast members are with regards to cross contamination and food allergies.

Good luck with the tests. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too, because it's not fun to have a child with allergies. Luckily Disney does a FANTASTIC job (especially at table service) and you can email Brenda with any questions and she gets right back to you within a couple of days. I think her email is listed somewhere on the disAbilities thread.

If your child does have a peanut allergy I wouldn't advise putting him on the pirate cruise. Sure they can substitute the food but all the other kids will be eating PB&J. Kids are kids and are bound to get it on their hands, clothes, etc and then all it takes is your child touching the same things these kids have touched (picking up the peanut oil residue) and then putting his hands in his mouth to have a reaction. You might say, my child is old enough not to put their hands in their mouths......how are they going to eat their food? By picking it up with their hands.

DD is allergic to peanuts. She can be around them, but not eat them or touch them. We were going to put her on the pirate cruise 2 years ago and the CM on the dining line I spoke to about the allergy didn't offer a substitute, but she did say there was a restaurant at the GF where I could buy her a cheese sandwich to take along. We ended up not doing the cruise after all. The idea of her out there in the wild with all that peanut butter and no care giver bothered me.

Thank you for your responses. After a long wait, I fainally got the results and he indeed is allgergic to PB. I was in bit of denial that that could actually be a possibility. Now that I know I have to rethink, well I guess, everything.

He previously was on a cruise and didn't eat the PB&J uncrustable (thank god). He now know not to eat it. I'm still considering the whether or not to go on the cruise (still considering if we actually go to WDW due to the ecomony).

My concern now is all the restaurants. Which do I need to look out for? TS and CS

These are the TS we are considering, should skip any of these places:
Chef Mickey Dinner
O'Hanna Dinner
WCC Dinner
Cape May Dinne)
Mama Melrose
Norway Princess Dinner
Gargen Grill
Royal Princess Lunch

The place that have a predetermimed menu as O'Hanas, will that be a problem. We ate there last year and loved it. He had no reaction but doesn't mean he is safe.

I'm sorry he's allergic. I'd go post your most recent reply over on the DISabilities board. I think you'll get a lot of help.

Don't cancel your trip b/c of an allergy though!! :(

I can definitely understand. my son has been allergic to peanuts for a while now too and it does limit what he can do. He would love the pirate cruise and I was hoping to do the Wonderland Tea Party at the GF until I found out they serve PB there too. I don't understand why disney would serve this on most all of there kid's activities with so many allergies these days. Is it impossible to find something else to serve for lunch? Yeah they offer substitutes, but like the OP said it makes me really nervous to think of him surrounded by a bunch of other children with PB on their hands. Not to mention it can't be fun for a child to have to eat something different than everyone else and constantly be worried that someone will get too close to him. I am just hoping that they may change this on at least some of their activities soon with allergies becoming more and more prevalent.

One of the cruises my kids went on they didn't eat their lunch on the cruise because one of the kids had an allergy. They all debarked and then ate it after the cruise.

I am also surprised WDW keeps serving peanut butter on on these cruises. My son is not allergic but I've always read that peanut allergy in the most common food allergy. With that in mind you would think they would offer something that people are not so commonly allergic to.

Thank you for your responses. After a long wait, I fainally got the results and he indeed is allgergic to PB. I was in bit of denial that that could actually be a possibility. Now that I know I have to rethink, well I guess, everything.

He previously was on a cruise and didn't eat the PB&J uncrustable (thank god). He now know not to eat it. I'm still considering the whether or not to go on the cruise (still considering if we actually go to WDW due to the ecomony).

My concern now is all the restaurants. Which do I need to look out for? TS and CS

These are the TS we are considering, should skip any of these places:
Chef Mickey Dinner
O'Hanna Dinner
WCC Dinner
Cape May Dinne)
Mama Melrose
Norway Princess Dinner
Gargen Grill
Royal Princess Lunch

The place that have a predetermimed menu as O'Hanas, will that be a problem. We ate there last year and loved it. He had no reaction but doesn't mean he is safe.

I would call back and have the allergy noted on each of your ADR's. Then when checking in remind them of the allergy if they don't mention it. The chef will then come to your table and go over what is/isn't safe.

Of the places you listed above we have only avoided 'Ohana dinner. We avoid this because of the peanut sauce that is served. I know we could not have it at our table but I'm afraid that as they go around with those big skewers of meat they are bound to come in accidental contact with it at other tables, etc. This might not be reality as I have never eaten here and just know that I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy my meal so it isn't worth it.

Another place we have avoided is Kona Cafe because so many items on the menus contain nuts. I'm sure they could offer safe options but again just not worth the worry.

As for the CS places you can ask for an ingredient book at the cashier or counter to go over anything you have concerns about.

As for the CS places you can ask for an ingredient book at the cashier or counter to go over anything you have concerns about.

Disney counter service takes allergies very seriously - too seriously for my minor gluten intolerance. All I want is a gluten free bun - and it can take 20 minutes for me to get a burger because it needs to be prepared at a specialty station where it has no chance to come in contact with a stray crouton or bread crumb.

Its heartwarming if you have a true life threatening allergy - and a pain in the back end if you just don't want dinner rolls to tempt you, but really don't care about the small amount of flour in Le Cellier's cheese soup.

Sorry to hear that he tested positive. I know how much it stinks to not be able to give him things that other kids are eating!!!

Contact special diets (wdw.mk.specialdiets@disney.com) and they will email you tons of information about safe foods and where they are located within WDW. They will also send you an allergy form to fill out with all of the allergies and your confirmation numbers. they also can answer any specific questions you might have. If they don't know the answer, they will speak to the chef at that restaurant and get back to you. I would avoid O'Hanas and any Asian restaurants. TS places are fantastic for allergies. I'm hoping I have good luck with CS. We never tried to feed the kids there before.

Also, they informed me that at AK, the animal keepers in the park have nuts in their pockets for demonstration use with birds so they can have nut oil on their hands/clothes. You should be fine, just don't touch the animal keepers.

Back on the pirate cruise, I was tossing the idea around as well and have decided against it because the CM may not be trained in cross contamination and the whole epi-pen thought scares me to death-especially if I'm not there.

They also have peanut free cookies in the parks, called Divvies. Special diets can tell you where these are available.

Hope that helps! It's so difficult to have to plan down to the last detail what your child will eat, even at counterservice restaurants.

Good Luck!

DD has life threatening nut allergies and for the life of me I don't understand why WDW would give the children PB&J sandwiches without their parents present. It seems like such a liability to me....but I'm not here to solve Disney's problems...:rotfl2:

Anyhoo, DD and DS wanted to go on the pirate cruise a couple years ago. The one that left from the GF. I called Disney Dining and told them my problem. They transferred me to the head chef at the GF, a wonderful gentleman who's name escapes me. They gave me him because he is one the (or his staff) that packs those lunches.

He said that while he agrees with me, there is nothing he can to but to offer DD a substitute. I thanked him for his time and said bye bye to the cruise for the kids.

OP, you are new to the peanut allergy life, please take it seriously (I'm not implying that you aren't :goodvibes ) and tell DS he will just have to pass it.

Airlines (I'm tipping my hat at you Southwest) will make an entire flight nut free for my DD, but WDW won't let a pirate cruise go off nut free. :confused3

DS has a severe peanut/nut allergy (as well as DD an egg allergy) and I've been very happy with the attention the restaurant staff gives food allergies.
Like others said, have it noted on your ADRs and they will immediately address it.
I wouldn't let DS take the cruise as his allergy is contact as well.
I, too, wish Disney would cut back on some of the peanut butter offerings, but then I'm also impressed with what they DO do to help accomodate food allergies.
Good luck to you with the peanut allergy - My heart goes out to you as it has a great impact on family life.....It is manageable though!

Sorry you got the result that you didn't want to hear. My DS has a super severe peanut allergy that has landed him in the hospital 3 times to date due to exposure. We had a fabulous experience at Disney. Just make early ADR's and let them know about the allergy. We did this and every time the chef came out to talk with us and let us know exactly what was/wasn't safe. At Hollywood and Vine there was a dish he couldn't eat and darned if the chef didn't make a "special batch" from scratch without the peanut oil just for him! I never expected such great service--ESPECIALLY from a buffet! They were EXTREMELY accomodating at all restraunts.

AS for quick service restraunts, we contacted guest services (Brenda someone..) and she sent us a detailed list of the foods (snack type) and their ingredients so we knew ahead of time what snacks he could/could not have eaten.

I really can't say enough for Disney when it came to allergy issues. They are VERY aware and VERY accomodating in my experience.:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter