pinched from 'theme parks' thread

carolfoy

<font color=cc6633>One has Ones hat and One's orf.
and it made me cry, just thought you may want to see this..

Ever wanted to know what Walt is pointing to...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Partners" sculpture in front of Cinderella's castle at the Magic Kingdom is not a "complete" sculpture on its own. It requires the "Sharing the Magic" sculpture up front near the entrance (the one with Roy and Minnie) to be considered complete.

Both sculptures were created by Blaine Gibson. Blaine Gibson was an imagineer for Disney. The first sculpture was created and given to the Magic Kingdom in 1995. He said it was not a finished sculpture. In 1999 (he's getting up there in age so it took him a while to finishe it), the Roy and Minnie sculpture was added to the entrance at the MK and he said it was finished. The story behind the sculptures is that since Roy was never that "approachable" (or not nearly as much as Walt was), he had Minnie move across the bench, holding Roy's hand to make him more approachable. The statue of Walt and Mickey is set in 1966, just before Walt died of Lung Cancer. Walt is holding Mickey's hand telling him he's taken him as far as he can take him and as far as he can go on this journey. But not to worry, Roy and Minnie have saved a seat for you on the bench up front as he points in that direction letting him know it'll be alright.

I thought it was one of the sweetest tributes and most touching. And it gives meaning to sculptures I had always taken for granted. From now on, I'll stop by each one and take a moment to pause and take it all in.

It's a very touching story ~ I'm sure it was explained to us whilst we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour.

aaahhh sniff sniff - You do realise I'll probably never be able to look at them again without blubbing (my poor family!)

wils said:
aaahhh sniff sniff - You do realise I'll probably never be able to look at them again without blubbing (my poor family!)

Oh, Jo, I totally agree, then you'll cry even more trying to explain what you're crying about :rotfl2:

:sad: Thankyou for sharing this wonderful FAQ

Claire xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter