Pin trading with CMs and their variety

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
Here at WDW now and am noticing that the CMs all seem to have the same pins on their lanyard not much fun for trading when every other CM has the same pins. Even the higher up supervisors and manager who usually have some nice pins are a let down on the variety. I brought a whole bunch of pins this trip expecting to trade alot like I have past trips and I havent. Anyone else noticing this?

Not a pin trader but I have a guess: CMs are given some random pins to trade. Guests buy those starter packs of pins (the ones with two of each of the Fab 5). Wanting to dump their duplicates, guests trade with CMs who are supposed to cooperate and...the CMs end up with those duplicate 5 characters hundreds of times a day/week.

I'm sorry you're not finding what you want. Have a fun trip though:earsboy:

First off, early AM is the best, do not over look folks sweeping(environmental services) look for cast members off the beaten track. Always, always interact with the folks you are trading with, sometimes CMs have special pins hid away for special encounters. Lastly, another reason that may explain your observation, Ebay bulk pin sales, some are real when others? who knows, are not. I generally do not have a problem finding a dozen or so pins to trade. We buy the others, the days of finding something rare or unique is gone. I ditto the last posters idea about the starter sets. If you are into buying pins you know are authentic then you must buy starter sets.

Yes.

We were there a couple weeks ago and I only traded two of my pins within 8 days and I traded them both at the same place. My daughter traded a couple more, but even she didn't go through her normal trading routine. I noticed that not only were there many duplicates, but most were scrappers. I'm not looking to debate the ethical side of that...however their circulation certainly has taken away the fun of trading. Pin trading is something that my daughter and I have enjoyed together for a couple of years now, but I doubt that we will purchase anymore for trading purposes.

Yes.

We were there a couple weeks ago and I only traded two of my pins within 8 days and I traded them both at the same place. My daughter traded a couple more, but even she didn't go through her normal trading routine. I noticed that not only were there many duplicates, but most were scrappers. I'm not looking to debate the ethical side of that...however their circulation certainly has taken away the fun of trading. Pin trading is something that my daughter and I have enjoyed together for a couple of years now, but I doubt that we will purchase anymore for trading purposes.

still, if I see a scrapper that I would like in my collection.....I still make the trade Because in the end it is still just a pin. I can see not trading for duplicate after duplicate but the interaction is still the goal for us. I have traded Many authentic pins for what I believed fit the description of a scrapper.

We have noticed that as well. Every CM seems to have a mix of the same pins. Last week I was trading with a CM and traded for a pin I liked, when I got home and I was putting my new traded ones in my books I noticed the back that said FRIST RELEASE (spelled wrong)... If that isn't a scrapper I don't know what is! But I kept it... I trade for what I like. Just thought it was funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter