• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pie crust with oil...

mickeymousemom

Missing: Three tags last seen in this space. Larg
I have a recipe for this from a local radio station. I think its very similar to regular crust but uses oil in place of the shortening/lard/butter, etc...there is no rolling out to be done, you just pat it into the pan..has anyone else made anything like this and how did it turn out??

I have never heard of that. I would be interested in the answer too. The butter is usually what makes the crust flaky so I would be interested in what the consistency of the crust is like.

I would "think" that the butter would make the crust flakier..I wouldn't personally try it, I'll stick with plain ol' butter. :goodvibes

Well, it sounds pretty easy...here's the recipe:

[B]"World's Best Pie Crust"[/B]

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. oil
1/4 c. milk
1/4 T. salt

Mix with hand, Don't roll out with rolling pin. Spread out with hand.

It was submitted by the morning guy at this specific radio station. He always talked about food...loved food...and ended up dying of a heart attack in the town's local festival parade. I figure since he was such a food "critic" it can't be bad. Maybe I'll just try it soon myself and see what happens.

I'll get back with you. I am also wondering about the flakiness of this crust, and it sounds like you can only use it for a bottom crust....hmmm...

I tried this crust earlier tonight and thought you all might want to know how it turned out. It's actually a very good crust. I blind baked it just to see the texture and get a good taste of it. Believe it or not, it's very tender and flaky and extremely easy to do. It reminds me of the Pillsbury crust, but without the lardy taste(I hate those crusts and the flavor). I put it in my big ol' Pyrex pie dish and there really wasn't enough crust to reach up the sides and make an edge. I'd probably use my 9-inch pans or the regular sized pie tins.

All in all, this crust was extremely good. Of course, it can't be used for a 2 crust pie, but I think I'll use this when I make my cream pies, dutch apple pies, squash pie, etc.

mickeymousemom said:
I tried this crust earlier tonight and thought you all might want to know how it turned out. It's actually a very good crust. I blind baked it just to see the texture and get a good taste of it. Believe it or not, it's very tender and flaky and extremely easy to do. It reminds me of the Pillsbury crust, but without the lardy taste(I hate those crusts and the flavor). I put it in my big ol' Pyrex pie dish and there really wasn't enough crust to reach up the sides and make an edge. I'd probably use my 9-inch pans or the regular sized pie tins.

All in all, this crust was extremely good. Of course, it can't be used for a 2 crust pie, but I think I'll use this when I make my cream pies, dutch apple pies, squash pie, etc.

Thanks for testing it for us! So you just press it into the pan with your hands?

Yes...just press it in with your hands and up the sides. I made a rhubarb cream pie with it 2 days ago and DH loved it. Oddly enough, the color of it isn't very great when you first make it, and you do have to work it around in the pan and up the sides, but it actually bakes up very nicely(I did use my metal crust ring thingy to protect it from over baking). Though a pie crust made the regular way is still my favorite, this one is still very good and saves some time.

Good to know! I will try it sometime. By blind baking it do you mean baking just the crust before putting in the filling?

Twigs said:
Good to know! I will try it sometime. By blind baking it do you mean baking just the crust before putting in the filling?

::yes:: I"m quite certain that's what it means. :goodvibes

Yes...I wasn't going to bake a whole pie, but just wanted to know how it would turn out. I wasn't impressed with the way it looked before it went into the oven, but it came out really nice. I just ate it by itself(I love pie dough) with sugar sprinkled on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter