Pictures of the Fort and Magic Kingdom circa 1972

check out that sign behind the banjo guys. I thought it looked pretty familiar. I took this pic in the internet cafe a few weeks ago:

100_2242.jpg

check out that sign behind the banjo guys. I thought it looked pretty familiar. I took this pic in the internet cafe a few weeks ago:

100_2242.jpg

That's a great catch, Donna.

There was also one of those signs posted at the Meadow Trading Post. I believe it is still there. I know for sure it was there in 2006, because it was used as one of the questions on this scavenger hunt that was conducted to honor the Fort's 35th anniversary:

scavhunt.jpg

I remember the sign well, because we all got a chuckle out of the fact that these pills could treat both constipation and diarrhea. That kind of humor is big with the TCD gang.

TCD

I love this photo!:

MVC-128S.jpg

I have seen a few other photos from this time-frame. It is remarkable to me how unwooded and sparse the Fort looks in some of the very old photos.

Some of us have complained recently about the amount of brush clearing and tree thinning that has been done at the Fort recently, but it looks like the Fort was more barren when it first opened.

And, how about that Airstream? Wow! That photo is from 37 years ago, right? The Airstream is the only thing in any of your photos that hasn't changed.

TCD

oh ok, the same identical one. must have been a popular remedy! lol ;)

:) I was there in '74, I was 9yrs old, my favorite ride was 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. I was so upset when I had heard that ride had closed. I would love it if they would bring that ride back...I know that will not happen..but I can always hope :rolleyes1

:) I was there in '74, I was 9yrs old, my favorite ride was 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. I was so upset when I had heard that ride had closed. I would love it if they would bring that ride back...I know that will not happen..but I can always hope :rolleyes1

I agree- I loved this ride. I remember how disappointed I was when I got older and found out that we didn't actually go deep underwater. I miss this ride and Mr. Toad's wild ride.

I was fortunate to have ridden in the old submarine at Disneyland when I was about 7 years old and again with DW when I was 28 during my first trip to Disney World. I also did the skyrides in both places too.

I will never forget not being tall enough for the go karts. I wanted to drive one of those in the worst way! It was one of the first things I did when I finally got to Disney World. DW thought I was nuts but joined me for a race.

I was also a fan of the 20,000 Leagues subs. My oldest DD got to ride that attraction, and the Sky Ride, too, before they were both closed and removed.

For any of you 20,000 League fans out there, check out this website: www.20Kride.com It has lots of photos and information about the attraction and its demise. That site mentions, and I can confirm that there is a 20,000 Leagues sub submerged in the snorkeling lagoon at Disney Cruise Line's private island, Castaway Cay.

TCD

I was also a fan of the 20,000 Leagues subs. My oldest DD got to ride that attraction, and the Sky Ride, too, before they were both closed and removed.

For any of you 20,000 League fans out there, check out this website: www.20Kride.com It has lots of photos and information about the attraction and its demise. That site mentions, and I can confirm that there is a 20,000 Leagues sub submerged in the snorkeling lagoon at Disney Cruise Line's private island, Castaway Cay.

TCD

Thank-you for that link down memory lane :thumbsup2

Really enjoyed the wonderful pics! :thumbsup2
I too remember those dayz cept I was bout 16 yr old.

The subs were actualy made here in Pinellas county (Largo, FL) by Morgan Yacht.

Awesome pics!!!! My one photo me and my cousin opening day Magic Kingdom. I think Mickey made me mad I think he was ready to get popped. My cousin was coming from the back to help me out.:lmao:

disney1971.jpg

Here's mine, we went Christmas 1971. I'm sure there are other pics but this is the only one I've got. My father tells me I was most concerned that Santa wouldn't be able to find us....

This is me and big bro in front of (I believe) the Dumbo ride. Don't ya love my shoes...:eek:

(I still remember riding on the Skyway...:lovestruc)
disney1971.jpg

Wow - what great pictures! I'm sure DW was just as fun back then -we just didn't know how things would change, did we? I'll bet you have wonderful memories of that vacation. Thanks for sharing those with us!

Vicky

Absolutely awesome pictures. I remember the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea so well! One of my favorites!

Does anyone know why they did away with the sky buckets?

Not as old - but I also miss Mr Toad's Wild Ride at the MK! Way fun and WILD!!

yes, a few years back, a CM maintenance man was killed on them. He was working on the fantasyland end, near the chalet and someone on the tomorrowland end did not know and started it up. He got carried over fantasyland hanging on to a bucket and fell off right near dumbo, he apparantly hit his head on impact. They never reopened.

Not exactly the incident happened in Feb 99 and the ride closed November 9, 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyway_(Disney)

These are some pics I scanned from our trips in '76, '77 and '78. I was 10 years old in the first pic. I'm the kid with the big head...lol. We had stayed at the Golf Resort, Poly and Ft. Wolderness.
4398_1102602778983_1644122376_22977.jpg
[/IMG]
4398_1102602738982_1644122376_22977.jpg
[/IMG]
This was the old slide at the Poly.
4398_1102602658980_1644122376_22976.jpg
[/IMG]
These are my parents standing in front of one of the trading posts. Not sure which one, though.
4398_1102602498976_1644122376_22976.jpg
[/IMG]
Way before the GF was built.
4398_1102602018964_1644122376_22975.jpg
[/IMG]
I still have several more I can post if people are interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter