Picky Eater

Kerryn

Earning My Ears
DS is 5 and the worlds pickiest eater. Literally eats no fruits or veggies. I'm not to concerned about the main courses as i know he will eat hot dogs, pizza, burgers and hopefully the mac and cheese. He eats some mac and cheeses but not all. I guess he will be living off of those for our 7 days there. I did alot of buffets as my 8 year old is the complete opposite and does not like alot of kid foods and prefers salads over everything else. I am just concerned at the other places he is going to still be hungry with a small pizza and no sides. Do they allow you to substitute with fries at the kids places instead of the grapes or apples. We have the dining plan. At home i don't allow him to eat alot of fries but i have many options that he will eat that aren't normal sides and i know they wont have them at disney. He loves alot of breakfast foods so we will be doing alot of breakfasts for early lunches, And eating cereal at the resort. We are eating at cape may dinner, breakfast at chef mickeys, cinderella's royal table (breakfast), sci-fi, breakfast at ohana's, breakfast at hollywood and vine, and lunch at tusker house. I can always add additional sides at our quick services and just pay out of pocket.

Kerryn, I can't give you specifics, but from my experience & from what I have read on this board, it appears that most times than not, the disney cast members go above & beyond to cater to the young ones.

I mostly wanted to respond to provide info to you as I am also a parent. I also can so totally relate to your picky eater. As a child, young adult, & even into middle age, I was a picky eater. I'm sure that I drove my parents, husband, & friends crazy! BTW, I'm not saying your son drives you crazy; sounds like you are very understandable. I hope it's ok with you that I give this info & I'm not intruding.

Anyway, some new brain studies have shown that human brains have separated humans into 3 "eater" categories - non-eaters, picky eaters, & eaters.

Non-eaters barely eat at all & usually only one or just a few foods. These poor souls can have horrible nutritional & eating disorders. As you've indicated, your son does not seem to fall into this category.

Picky eaters are how you describe your son. These folks have tasted enough foods to have a limited variety, but not open to including other foods. Picky eaters widen their foods as they age, even during adulthood. I can attest to that by my now battle of the bulge that I never experienced even during my younger & middle age adult years!

Of course, eaters are so experimental & willing to try new foods - bless their hearts! Doesn't necessarily mean they are bound for obesity, because their good judgement can lead them to moderation.

I found this new info horribly interesting & great table conversation! But then that's just me!

Have a great trip with your family & enjoy - they grow up much too fast (I remember my parents telling me that!).

Can you present it to him in a way that vacation will be a good opportunity to try new foods? Surely with all the variety of things available at buffets especially, he'd find something he'd like and want to have again. I'd be more concerned about the long term ramifications of not having a nutritious diet than making sure he's accommodated, barring no medical issues that prevent eating certain foods.

I doubt you'll have a problem substituting fries for healthier options. If all else fails, you can order fries for yourself and eat his grapes or carrot sticks.

Honestly, after looking at your list, the only non-buffet you have scheduled is Sci Fi Dine In and everyone else will likely be getting fries with their meals, so I expect there will be plenty to go around. I doubt they'll have any problem with the substitution, even on the dining plan though.

Can you present it to him in a way that vacation will be a good opportunity to try new foods? Surely with all the variety of things available at buffets especially, he'd find something he'd like and want to have again. I'd be more concerned about the long term ramifications of not having a nutritious diet than making sure he's accommodated, barring no medical issues that prevent eating certain foods.

No way will he try things. It requires major bribing to get him to try foods he used to eat. I honestly think its a sensory thing with him. I am not concerned abou his long term health concerns as I hide fruits and veggies in things. He drinks fruit smoothies, I make purred fruit pops. For veggies i recently made cookies with zucchini in them. He loves my orange fries, sweet potato ones that are cut with a french fry press and baked with a little bit of olive oil. They are crispy so he likes them.

DS is 5 and the worlds pickiest eater. Literally eats no fruits or veggies. I'm not to concerned about the main courses as i know he will eat hot dogs, pizza, burgers and hopefully the mac and cheese. He eats some mac and cheeses but not all. I guess he will be living off of those for our 7 days there. I did alot of buffets as my 8 year old is the complete opposite and does not like alot of kid foods and prefers salads over everything else. I am just concerned at the other places he is going to still be hungry with a small pizza and no sides. Do they allow you to substitute with fries at the kids places instead of the grapes or apples. We have the dining plan. At home i don't allow him to eat alot of fries but i have many options that he will eat that aren't normal sides and i know they wont have them at disney. He loves alot of breakfast foods so we will be doing alot of breakfasts for early lunches, And eating cereal at the resort. We are eating at cape may dinner, breakfast at chef mickeys, cinderella's royal table (breakfast), sci-fi, breakfast at ohana's, breakfast at hollywood and vine, and lunch at tusker house. I can always add additional sides at our quick services and just pay out of pocket.

You will be fine. You can sub fries and soda for the grapes and such. Hopefully he will be open to trying new things at WDW. And dont worry my Ds now 27 6ft 2 and 200+ lbs didn't eat anything when he was a child. Now he eats things that leave me asking him.

Who are you and what did you do with my son. Lol

No way will he try things. It requires major bribing to get him to try foods he used to eat. I honestly think its a sensory thing with him. I am not concerned abou his long term health concerns as I hide fruits and veggies in things. He drinks fruit smoothies, I make purred fruit pops. For veggies i recently made cookies with zucchini in them. He loves my orange fries, sweet potato ones that are cut with a french fry press and baked with a little bit of olive oil. They are crispy so he likes them.

Oh yes, sensory issues are tricky for sure. Especially if there's a negative experience to associate with it.

On the sweet potatoes, have you tried the trick of dredging them in cornstarch before baking? That makes them super crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside. I like mixing a bit of seasoning with it for flavor.

I can answer this from experience! :thumbsup2
I have a son with Autism who is very picky. We have had alot of success in exchanging fries for the other sides. We work constantly at home at expanding his food choices and choose not to fight those battles while we are at WDW. ;)

Almost every counter service place will let you get fries with a kids meal. Check out the menus on AllEars. :thumbsup2

I order the children's mac n' cheese literally anytime it is available at our chosen CS stop, and I've never had a problem subbing fries for the default option. May your son find as much enjoyment in this meal as I do! :rotfl:

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter