Picky eater possible at La Hacienda de San Angel?

HenryMom

Earning My Ears
We've been looking over the menu and, while it all looks delicious to me, we will be traveling with one son whose palate is not very "adventuresome" ... does anyone know if they are good here about altering the menu items by leaving off some of the spicier sides or sauces?

Has anyone done this? Had success with making a menu item here somewhat more plain? Or are there other menu items not listed that might be more plain or straightforward? I should make it clear I don't mean a kids meal like chicken nuggets or mac & cheese ... something more "adult" yet simple, without so much spice.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Nothing at La Hacienda is spicy. Ya'll should have a great time. If there is question; getting sauce on the side is an easy adjustment. They are producing for the masses, it'll be great!

My daughter is picky. Very picky. She miraculously finds something ever restaurant we go to at WDW...except La Hacienda and San Angel Inn. She didnt like the chicken tenders there. Bas seasoning, too crispy etc.. (picky!!). And the other things she just wouldnt try. Normally I can get her to eat rice and beans at a mexican restaurant, but she tried it once at San Angel Inn, didnt like it and refuses to order it ever again. Basically she siys depressed at the table until the Churros come, then she is happy for a minute. We leave and find her something to eat.

Unfortunately, I swear I was born on the wrong side of the border! I LOVE mexican and will not give up a delicious meal for her! I make it up to her!

We've been looking over the menu and, while it all looks delicious to me, we will be traveling with one son whose palate is not very "adventuresome" ... does anyone know if they are good here about altering the menu items by leaving off some of the spicier sides or sauces?

Has anyone done this? Had success with making a menu item here somewhat more plain? Or are there other menu items not listed that might be more plain or straightforward? I should make it clear I don't mean a kids meal like chicken nuggets or mac & cheese ... something more "adult" yet simple, without so much spice.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Is the son a kid or an adult? This was on our short list til we dropped it for Biergarten and my 8 year old son is very picky... but we had planned to get the queso fundido with the chorizo and peppers and stuff on the side for an appetizer and then plain steak tacos for him... he won't eat rice and beans but loves chips so I figured I could get some extra chips with his dinner instead of the rice and beans. If your son is an adult maybe the steak made plain or sharing the mixed grill... but with some extra chips on the side. It won't be his favorite meal likely but he can be a bit flexible I hope!

Thanks all! These are some great ideas! I think we'll go ahead with our reservation, do some order adjustments, and I'm sure it will be fine. If not, as DISNEY1975 pointed out, we can always go somewhere else afterwards! :)

I bet that they would make quesadillas for you. My daughters couldn't decide what they wanted at San Angel Inn and then saw a delicious and simple looking meal served at the table beside us. We asked what it was and the waiter explained that it was not on the menu, but they were quesadillas. Both of my girls ordered it and they were DELICIOUS!

I have never been to either of these restaurants but my son (5) is an extremely picky eater. When we eat at the Mexican restaurant near our town we just order him a side order of tortillas! We figured this out when he started ordering a "cheese quesadilla with no cheese":-).

It always gets a smile from the server but they will bring him 5 tortillas in this tortilla holder - he is thrilled and will happily sit and munch on tortillas for the meal! Also much more cost effective as we aren't paying for a meal he won't eat! Definitely not the most nutritious meal but it works for us!

Last edited:

Nothing at La Hacienda is spicy. Ya'll should have a great time. If there is question; getting sauce on the side is an easy adjustment. They are producing for the masses, it'll be great!

I have to chuckle at this because my husband would agree with you as his tongue can handle a lot of spicy foods. For me, mild is too spicy. So "spicy" can be subjective :)

How picky are we talking about? I'm not the most adventurous of eaters (I'm working on it), but right away the pork empanadas caught my eye. Corn dough stuffed with pork and black beans sounds like a pretty nice dish, and you could easily ask them to leave the mole sauce off or put in a bowl on the side.

We've never found anything there spicy. We usually get the two platters to share and my picky kids pick what they want off if it. Neither eat rice or beans or veggies cooked that way but the meats and fish usually are a big hit!

My son is the same way but he will eat a plain steak. They offered to bring a steak with no sauce or seasonings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!