Pickpockets in Barcelona

woody73

<font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><
For those planning a TA or Med cruise, be mindful that Barcelona has a high incidence of pickpockets, petty theft, and scams.

So when sightseeing, take the usual precautions (such as not carrying lots of cash, not wearing expensive jewelery, and not displaying an expensive camera), and you should be fine.

Last October, when we were in Paris we witnessed the "ring scam." Two tourists were walking down the street. A guy comes up behind them, reached to the ground and says, "Madame, madame, you dropped this." He opens his hand to show a beautiful "diamond" ring. She says it's not hers. He says, "It must be yours." When she finally takes the ring, he holds out his hand, and says, "Reward?" The couple give the man 20 euro, then leave.

Five minutes later, the same guy is calling out to another couple, "Madame, madame, you dropped this."

It turns out the rings are cheap trinkets.

Has anyone who was on a prior TA or Med cruise on Disney heard of guests who suffered pickpocketing, petty theft or scams in Barcelona or parts of Europe?

Woody

Hi Woody

We had see lots in Barcelona and Rome too...

Watch your bags, backbag never leave behind the seat or leave the floor as they are very clever trick...lady lost her video in Guell Park and it was stolen... we felt sad and I worn small bag with over shoulder...

We are going back next year but again high recommend about bags etc....

At Med 07 family seat beside us table and one of them was telling our in law that they hold one baby and boy stole his iphone but he grab one of his friend and hold him... Police didnt do anything... but his friend came back and hand back iphone ...

man and the toddler was missing the train but they were patience until another trian and got the time on the Cruise...That was Rome..

terrbile...

Barcelona is a great city but beware of the bags, money etc....

Scottishwee35

Hi Deborah,

When we spent a week in Rome, we were warned not to take the #64 bus, which is nicknamed the "Pickpocket Special."

Woody

I had my phone stolen within 10 mins upon arriving in Barcelona..... What really sucks is I had just got a new phone the day before I left. Luckly I ended up getting insurance on the phone and it was covered but it sucked to be without it.

Could have been a lot worse for me, cash and passports were in one pocket and the phone in the other.... Im glad they went for that one.

Also, a day or so later, I was around town and noticed a girl walking by with a backpack, it was slightly opened, I saw someone walking by her the other direction, glance over, notice it was opened, change directions and followed her looking in to see if there was anything worth grabbing. I guess he didnt notice anything he wanted because he stopped and turned around and went his original direction. I was watching him closely to see if he tried to do anything.

Interesting thread.

My sister was in Barcelona in 1999, and two thieves came running past her and stole her purse!:eek: It happened so fast, she almost went into shock. Her passport, $600.00 in cash and her wallet..gone. In the blink of an eye. She went to the police, but you know how that goes (in a foreign country.):guilty:

My DD and 5 of her friends spent a week touring Spain this past Spring. When they got to Barcelona they were getting off a train and a small child blocked the path of them getting off. Came to find out she did this delibertly and as they were rushing to try to get off the train before the doors closed one of the girls saw a woman reach in to one of their pocketbooks and steal her wallet. They could not get to the woman as she disappeared into the crowed. The child and woman were working together to distract them.

Thankfully DD's friend only lost cash, she had her passport on her person. The girls were weary from an all night train ride and did not immediately realize what was going on. So, make sure you keep your wits about you AT ALL TIMES!! Theives know who to target and who will be an easy mark by your demeanor. Thinking back the girls remebered this little girl staring at them for a few stops so she was obviously sizing them up.

MJ

For those planning a TA or Med cruise, be mindful that Barcelona has a high incidence of pickpockets, petty theft, and scams.

...as does every city in every country in the world, especially around tourist areas - including ours...;)

For those planning a TA or Med cruise, be mindful that Barcelona has a high incidence of pickpockets, petty theft, and scams. Woody

I think this is a good warning. Some friends of ours went there in May for a two week cruise, but they wanted to spend a few days in Barcelona (and loved the place). This was one issue that had them concerned for that area. The first day they were there, a woman tried to pickpocket them. Luckily she was unseccessful. So just be extra carefully of how you carry your things.

Also be very vigilant around the Trevi fountain in Rome. When we were there last time DH witnessed a group of them moving through the crowds. Yes there are security guys there and they blow the whistle to warn tourists or the pickpockets ??? However they were not moved on by these security guys, they just moved to their next victim. DH watched for about 10 mins as they repeated this over and over.

Unfortunately us tourists are viewed as easy prey in any city in the world! Rome was beautiful. We and the people we were with were lucky but probably because we were aware and kept our eyes open and fixed to our belongings and supported each other. Needless to say, I have never seen blatant pickpocketing like that any where in Europe!

Europe is beautiful, as are its cities. Just be vigilant and use security deposit boxes for passports , money etc. But remember to ENJOY your vacation too.!!!!!!

I am going back to Barcelona after the Disney Cruise next year for 3 or 4 days... I love it but still concern about bags etc....

Last 07 before I went to Barcelona and I was reading at the Tripadvisor that two girls stayed at hostel hotel in Barcelona and they waked up next morning to discovered that their luggages, passport, money was stolen and they left with nothing... they got home to UK and sworn that they would never go back to Barcelona ... oh that was shame...

We were waiting for the bus and the bus came was fulling up and we couldn't get on the bus and one couple with baby were asking us if we want help with direction but they were very helpful with us as told us to go to metro... we went metro and it turn out much better...

Recently my friend went to Paris and at the airport she was putting her luggages then she discovered her wallet stolen....

I think some lucky, some not lucky...

Scottishwee35

... we went metro and it turn out much better...
Scottishwee35

I certainly second that! The metro in Barcelona was wonderful compared to the tourist bus! Yes, you don't see as much of the city but it was cool, clean, very well lit and cheap! When we used it during the day it wasn't very crowded either. :goodvibes

We too are looking forward to Barcelona again. The city is far too beautiful and we need to finish off one or two places that we ran out of time for!

I also agree that it is a matter of luck with pickpockets etc. However, I think that the tour guides could have given us the heads up about certain areas. The woman we were with never mentioned a thing, yet the guides must be very aware of the hot spots!

So when sightseeing, take the usual precautions (such as not carrying lots of cash, not wearing expensive jewelery, and not displaying an expensive camera), and you should be fine.

Last October, when we were in Paris we witnessed the "ring scam." Two tourists were walking down the street. A guy comes up behind them, reached to the ground and says, "Madame, madame, you dropped this." He opens his hand to show a beautiful "diamond" ring. She says it's not hers. He says, "It must be yours." When she finally takes the ring, he holds out his hand, and says, "Reward?" The couple give the man 20 euro, then leave.

Five minutes later, the same guy is calling out to another couple, "Madame, madame, you dropped this."

Has anyone who was on a prior TA or Med cruise on Disney heard of guests who suffered pickpocketing, petty theft or scams in Barcelona or parts of Europe?

Woody

When I was checking into the hotel in Barcelona, the person in front of us had been pickpocketed and was in awe - he still had his wallet - just the cash had vanished.

This is exactly why we use Pac Safe bags whenever and where ever we travel. They has a metal mesh in the fabric that can't be cut by the typical pickpocket, the straps lock to fixed objects, and they lock. We have a backpack with a computer sleeve and two other bags we carry. My daughter was the victim of a pick pocket attempt in Pisa on our Medcruise in 2007, but the Pac Safe bag worked and the pick pocket was actually apprehended. Please be careful where ever you travel.

Hi Deborah,

When we spent a week in Rome, we were warned not to take the #64 bus, which is nicknamed the "Pickpocket Special."

Woody

We were pickpocketed on that bus!!!

We started out at the Termini in the morning and the bus was not crowded, but we had to stand. Soon it became so crowded we could not move. DH later said he could feel pressure pushing in on the front pocket where his wallet was, but could not get his hand down to check it out.

When we got off at the Coliseum and went to pay the admission, DH had his wallet but no money. They obviously had put pressure on the pocket and used tweezers to get the money out of the wallet.

Luckily, DH wears a money belt under his clothes with credit cards and most of our money. His wallet had only enough for admissions, lunch, and that day's incidentals - nothing else. Maybe the equivalent of $50 or $80, which we would rather not lose, but was probably a disappointing take to the pickpocket. DH got more money out of the money belt and our day proceeded as planned.

Moral of the story - avoid crowded areas , and always wear a money belt securely under your clothes.

This is exactly why we use Pac Safe bags whenever and where ever we travel. They has a metal mesh in the fabric that can't be cut by the typical pickpocket, the straps lock to fixed objects, and they lock. We have a backpack with a computer sleeve and two other bags we carry. My daughter was the victim of a pick pocket attempt in Pisa on our Medcruise in 2007, but the Pac Safe bag worked and the pick pocket was actually apprehended. Please be careful where ever you travel.

I second the Pac Safe recommendation. I switched to one of their wallets and neck pouches for the Med 2007 trip and fortunately didn't need them (or at least I don't think I did :rolleyes1). The wallet became my primary wallet afterwards. Any time I'm in an urban/crowded/public situation, I chain it to my belt for peace of mind.

I second the Pac Safe recommendation. I switched to one of their wallets and neck pouches for the Med 2007 trip and fortunately didn't need them (or at least I don't think I did :rolleyes1). The wallet became my primary wallet afterwards. Any time I'm in an urban/crowded/public situation, I chain it to my belt for peace of mind.

I'll third that! I used a PacSafe bag for our Med cruise in '08. I wore it across my body AND had a black overcoat over me. There was an outside zipper with compartments there to put credit cards and a pen. Of course I didn't put anything in the outside compartment, just on the inside and it was only a day's worth of money (the rest, and passports were in a moneybelt which was my constant, slightly annoying, companion). When we (DD and myself) got out of the beautiful food market on Las Ramblas where I was shooting pictures I noted that the whole outside zipper of my PacSafe had been zipped down. Nothing was taken because nothing was there. Morale of the story - be ESPECIALLY aware when you are taking pictures as your hands are occupied. Generally I would have one hand around my PacSafe holding it very securely, but I was amazed at how clever someone had been and I never felt a thing.

Woody

Ok on the WB & EBTA's didn't hear anything about anyone on the cruise being done but my boyfriend went to Barcelona last year and stopped someone trying to pick pocket a guide infront of him at McDonalds so it does happen.

Also we were bugged by a kid in Barcelona claiming to be deaf and collecting money for his school but I'm fairly sure this was a scam. We made sure we had our hands on our wallets at all time and just kept walking. Ended up giving him a few Euro then took off. Definately worth being careful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter