Picking a Guide

mdmbdumont

Earning My Ears
If you knew that it would be more beneficial to go through Disney, due to financing. How would you pick a guide?

Referrals, whoever answers the phone when you call or can someone suggest a better method.

I sold real estate for 5 years and insurance for another 5 and I KNOW that the up broker is not always the one you want to be speaking to.

Michael

I'm sure that you'll get plenty of suggestions, but here's my (probably unpopular) opinion on the matter. They are called guides, but they are really salespeople. If you've educated yourself on DVC, the guide that you get assigned is pretty much meaningless. You can't negotiate anyway, so the guide is just sending you the paperwork. It's not like she is finding a property for you; points is points.

I did my research on RADP (in the days before this board), and I knew exactly what I was getting into. I can't even remember my guide's name.

I agree toatlly with Jimbo's comments.

However, I am willing to share my guide with you. Bettie Pleasant has been a delight to work with and often leaves a "welcome home" message on our voicemail when we are at OKW. We have had the opportunity to see her a couple of times on our trips and have found her as enthusiatic about DVC now as in 1993 when we purchased. There are many great guides and Bettie is certainly one of them.

Good Luck!

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

my first guide had to leave due to medical reasons, I know this for a long time, her friend and co-worker was who I had most of my dealing with anyway. So when she left DVC assigned me to another person I called Judy and asked to be assigned to her. She is really wonderful, no pressure and really tries to find you those points. Her name is Judy Kaufman, her phone number is 1-800-827-7163.

Gotta agree with Jimbo. The guide is nothing but a salesperson that gets your paperwork happening. There is no negotiating, no color choices, nothing. Points is points. The first person to answer the phone will do fine.

Our first guide left, then we had another assigned for our add on, we have never spoken to her since. We get all the ads for when points are running out, or OKW is opeing back up.

Never spoke to either guide again after signing the papers.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx, pretty sick, huh?

When you say you get ads for points running out...

Do you mean personal points or are these ads from DVC for add-on points that are available after your initial purchase.

Thanks for your patience with my questions.

Michael

When BWV and OKW were almost sold out - DVC notify it members that if they wanted these places to add on now. I think that is what he means. Also when DVC changes it price upward it generally sends out a letter telling you, so that you have the chance to buy before the price increases.

I dealt with her for about a year and a half. She sent me everything from purchase and sale documents to color brochures. Never once pressured me. She gave me tips on VWL when I first told her I would wait for the opening. I wound up buying at OKW and she was a first class professional. You can educate yourself, but I am sure you'll still have a question or two and it is nice to know you have a guide that will return your calls. Her # is 800-827-7104

[This message was edited by BobH on 03-06-01 at 08:16 PM.]

I've had an excellent experience with my guide. His name is Kim Moore. Very professional, very low-pressure, and always willing to take time to be friendly and to answer my endless questions. One thing I really liked was his speed in returning phone messages. I have called his answering machine on Saturdays and Sundays, never actually expecting him to call back until a weekday. But each time he called me back that same day, usually within an hour or two.

A friend of mine who is also a DVC owner has had Kim Moore for her guide too. She has referred (to date) 7 friends of hers to Kim who all wound up buying into DVC. As a thank you to her, Kim sent her 6 dinner-for-two vouchers for anywhere in the parks. Pretty nice!

Kim Moore's number is 800-827-7172.

As I have stated previously on this board, I have yet to hear from any "guide". Most recently (about a month ago) I faxed a request to one that I met on a cruise. The information once again contained information on individuals that were interested in DVC. As in the past, they have not heard from or received any info from them. Two other people that have requested info through me never received the same, thus bought elsewhere (Marriott & Vistana). I know in some cases you cannot compare programs, but these people were very serious in spending the extra money to obtain points to stay on WDW property.

Our original guide Jackie Layne, was great, but she stgopped working when she married another DVC guide Greg Coots, so we were assigned to him, He has NEVER ONCE contacted us like I hear some other people who continue to get calls from their guides, even when they are staying on points, If I ever need points again, I'll make sure I ask for another guide, I'm sorry if some disagree, but I think that a guide should at least keep some sort of contact with you because when you refer people they get assigned to your guide, and that was the only time I got a form letter from my guide thanking me for the referral, my experience with good real estate people is that they keep in some from of contact with you, we have a real estate agent who sends a little gift and card each holiday and a calendar at the the end of the year for the upcoming year.

I'm amazed to hear some of the people tell how their guide goes out of their way.e

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter