Photos from my first trip with a DSLR

PryncessChrysty

Merrily on our way to nowhere in particular
I've always loved taking photos with our P&S when we're at the parks, so DH encouraged me to get a DSLR. We did some research and decided that the Canon T2i would be a great fit for my first "real" camera. Thankfully, Costco had a fabulous deal going at the time so we were able to pick up a package that came with 2 lenses! :thumbsup2

We just returned from 10 days at the World and it was my first chance to really get out & play with my new toy. I have limited basic knowledge of how to work cameras in general, but I had a great time playing with all of the automated settings and took over 1700 shots! I was even able to get some semi-decent shots at night and in darker spaces, something I have never been able to do before! I really can't wait to take some classes and get into the nitty gritty of it all.

I wanted to share some of my favorites with everyone, please share your thoughts. These are all raw images, none have been edited or cropped in any way.

2001.jpg

1990.jpg

1121.jpg

These guys were RIGHT next to our safari truck
1105.jpg

I think this is my most favorite photo from the trip
1048.jpg

973.jpg

969.jpg

820.jpg

I was NEVER able to capture this with my P&S!
766.jpg

746.jpg

We won tickets into the Star Tours Meet Up party at midnight on 5/20 - there were lots of characters roaming around. We had a great time! I just wish this first one had come out a bit more focused:
1308.jpg

1284.jpg

638.jpg

634.jpg

594.jpg

571.jpg

543.jpg

528.jpg

453.jpg

440.jpg

428.jpg

424.jpg

413.jpg

372.jpg

Nice shots! You did a great job for the first time at the parks with a DSLR.

On the one with Luke and Leia... it looks like the camera focused on the ATAT behind them. Look in your manual and find how to manually select the focus points... it will help you out in situations like that. Learning the auto focus system on a camera takes time, and then there's still a small learning curve every time you get a new lens as you learn how it's gong to behave. I know when I got my first DSLR the auto focus system was so different from my 35mm SLR that it took me a good 6 months before I was really confident with it.

You have a very good eye for composing your shots!

Photography is the gift that keeps giving so dive in. It will take some time but it will be well worth it to really get to know your camera.

I have no real idea of how far along you are in your photography but I'd like to offer some suggestions that you might find helpful.....

Consider getting acquainted with the world of post processing (PP). That would mean using software to increase contrast or brightness, make your colors more or less vivid, etc, etc. You'd be amazed at how much of an impact that PP has on your pictures. Now a days the software for PP is getting easier to use so it won't feel like you are blowing out a brain lobe trying to figure it all out. I'd consider giving it a try when you feel like you are ready. You have some really great shots that would absolutely POP with PP

Then I'd think about accessories. I just bought a flash and for the past 3 days I've been researching all the settings and things that I can do with it.

It seems like every time I turn around I find a new application for photography that captures my interest. Next up for me in the distant future will be Lens babies!

Good luck, keep going and keep shooting. I hope you have a really great time with your new camera!

Marlton Mom

I love my t1i (I just call it the 500d.... T1i is such a tongue twister). You did great on the safaris.... I usually get a bunch of animal butts.
Not sure if you are using raw or jpg... Raw is such an improvement in post work. Id get a circular polarizer next if I was you. It will really pop those blue skies outside.
You did get a few blue ones, but some seemed to look like mine. I go in june or July, and always get these white skies. The haze and brightness, along with clouds and humidity, many times keep away those clear blue skies.
Enjoy it! Its a fun hobby.

Nice job! Glad you are enjoying your new purchase. :goodvibes
Thank you! :goodvibes

Nice shots! You did a great job for the first time at the parks with a DSLR.

On the one with Luke and Leia... it looks like the camera focused on the ATAT behind them. Look in your manual and find how to manually select the focus points... it will help you out in situations like that. Learning the auto focus system on a camera takes time, and then there's still a small learning curve every time you get a new lens as you learn how it's gong to behave. I know when I got my first DSLR the auto focus system was so different from my 35mm SLR that it took me a good 6 months before I was really confident with it.
Thank you!! I was definitely relying on my AF this trip. I'll check out the manual so that I can start utlizing the MF to get more clarity. That's a great tip! :)

You have a very good eye for composing your shots!

Photography is the gift that keeps giving so dive in. It will take some time but it will be well worth it to really get to know your camera.

I have no real idea of how far along you are in your photography but I'd like to offer some suggestions that you might find helpful.....

Consider getting acquainted with the world of post processing (PP). That would mean using software to increase contrast or brightness, make your colors more or less vivid, etc, etc. You'd be amazed at how much of an impact that PP has on your pictures. Now a days the software for PP is getting easier to use so it won't feel like you are blowing out a brain lobe trying to figure it all out. I'd consider giving it a try when you feel like you are ready. You have some really great shots that would absolutely POP with PP

Then I'd think about accessories. I just bought a flash and for the past 3 days I've been researching all the settings and things that I can do with it.

It seems like every time I turn around I find a new application for photography that captures my interest. Next up for me in the distant future will be Lens babies!

Good luck, keep going and keep shooting. I hope you have a really great time with your new camera!

Marlton Mom
Thank you for the kind words! :cutie: We do have have PS software (Elements & Pro) that I also need to learn about. I've only ever used basic functionality like cropping & adjusting the contrast, so I can't wait to learn how to really fix & enhance them to give them my own unique look.

I love my t1i (I just call it the 500d.... T1i is such a tongue twister). You did great on the safaris.... I usually get a bunch of animal butts.
Not sure if you are using raw or jpg... Raw is such an improvement in post work. Id get a circular polarizer next if I was you. It will really pop those blue skies outside.
You did get a few blue ones, but some seemed to look like mine. I go in june or July, and always get these white skies. The haze and brightness, along with clouds and humidity, many times keep away those clear blue skies.
Enjoy it! Its a fun hobby.
Thanks - the safari was a lot of fun to shoot. We were lucky that day in that just about all of the animals were out & about. I think I took about 200 shots just on the 1 ride. :laughing:

Forgive my ignorance, but would you mind explaining Raw vs. jpg a bit? Am I able to dictate the format of my photos on that level?
The super blue skies in FL is one of my favorite things about taking photos while we're there. It's breathtaking on most days. I would love to be able to try something to help them pop more. I haven't tried the polarizers you mentioned yet - those are the discs that you put over your lens, right? Do you have any recommendations? We did get a tulip to help block excess light, but it kept turning and getting in the way of my shots. lol

Yes, I clearly have a LOT to learn. :upsidedow

Great shots! You've got a great eye, and there's no better place to try out new gear than Disney World!

Great Job! Cant wait till October for our first trip with the new camera!

Squid

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter