The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is crazy. They need to eat a slice of humble pie and ask advice from corporations who are known for getting the job of People Moving done efficiently. Look at how Disney knows how to move people. Sure they have their moments when it's less than stellar but overall given the scope of size of WDW, they're pretty amazing. (Land, boat, monorail, skyliner) They use a variety of methods to get it done. Some resorts have more than one method.

Look at Chick-Fil-A. Their drive throughs are sometimes 2-4 lanes wide, and full. So they put people out on foot with ipads to take orders and pay in advance instead of making everyone wait to get to the squawker on the loudspeaker to order, then pay at the window. I've been in line with 30 cars and we're still through it with hot food in 15 mins.
I agree. Instead, our governor decided to blame the federal govt.

Ok so maybe the deep freeze issue

Here is your initial solution in 5 mins:
  • Contact all regional/primary hospitals and regional Walgreens/CVS/Walmart offices
  • Request each locations freezer capacity they will set aside for COVID19 vaccines or they are willing to create
  • In counties without a primary distribution node request the county capital to either create or get a business to provide the service
  • Approve vaccine injection sites based on medical groups/pharmacy groups approval (start with national/region chains pre approved)
  • Finalize list of Injection sites
  • Finalize list of distribution nodes
  • Finalize rollout tiers of who should receive injections (Front line, 65+, ect)
  • Schedule rolling 3 day schedule of pick-up by injection sites
  • Require submission of all injections provided by injection site for previous 72 hours 24 hours prior to scheduled timeslot, documentation is reviewed and if injections went to waste or provided to non primary groups for vaccine then reduce capacity to that site
  • Upon all injection sites not using full capacity of vaccines for current rollout tier then shift to the next tier
I honestly don't understand how it could be that hard to figure this out. Heck coordinate with the state guard as well for help with the concept of logistics.

So true.
I don't understand how is it that the vaccine companies have been announcing their progress all year, and yet so many governors acted as if it were some pipe dream? It's not like the progress was kept top secret.
Why didn't they start prepping until after the FDA gave the green light?
I was reading that WV has already administered more vaccines than NY.
Ok so maybe the deep freeze issue was not anticipated but they could have had a website up and running where people could sign up for it and then have software that could filter or prioritize people based on occupation, age, risk factors, etc. They could have staked out some locations of where it could be administered. Or they could just sit and wait until it's approved and then scramble frantically which is what NJ seems to have done. It's sad that some vaccine has had to be disposed of because once defrosted, it must be given within 5 days.
That is crazy. They need to eat a slice of humble pie and ask advice from corporations who are known for getting the job of People Moving done efficiently. Look at how Disney knows how to move people. Sure they have their moments when it's less than stellar but overall given the scope of size of WDW, they're pretty amazing. (Land, boat, monorail, skyliner) They use a variety of methods to get it done. Some resorts have more than one method.

Look at Chick-Fil-A. Their drive throughs are sometimes 2-4 lanes wide, and full. So they put people out on foot with ipads to take orders and pay in advance instead of making everyone wait to get to the squawker on the loudspeaker to order, then pay at the window. I've been in line with 30 cars and we're still through it with hot food in 15 mins.
Here is your initial solution in 5 mins:
  • Contact all regional/primary hospitals and regional Walgreens/CVS/Walmart offices
  • Request each locations freezer capacity they will set aside for COVID19 vaccines or they are willing to create
  • In counties without a primary distribution node request the county capital to either create or get a business to provide the service
  • Approve vaccine injection sites based on medical groups/pharmacy groups approval (start with national/region chains pre approved)
  • Finalize list of Injection sites
  • Finalize list of distribution nodes
  • Finalize rollout tiers of who should receive injections (Front line, 65+, ect)
  • Schedule rolling 3 day schedule of pick-up by injection sites
  • Require submission of all injections provided by injection site for previous 72 hours 24 hours prior to scheduled timeslot, documentation is reviewed and if injections went to waste or provided to non primary groups for vaccine then reduce capacity to that site
  • Upon all injection sites not using full capacity of vaccines for current rollout tier then shift to the next tier
I honestly don't understand how it could be that hard to figure this out. Heck coordinate with the state guard as well for help with the concept of logistics.
The underlying issues are quite different.

A lack of funding to the state health departments meant staffing and site shortages. The states had been pounding the table for more than six months. The promised $9bn federal funding was finally released late in December.

A lack of visibility into the supply meant lining up the arms and the shots would be a challenge. The deep freeze, double dosing schedule, and transport logistics mean you have to get the demand and supply right like a thread through a needle. The held-back supply was finally released yesterday.

A lack of a coherent national vaccination message meant you would overestimate the number of people showing up for the shots. Instead, you had a leadership bent on dancing on the campaign trails and lodging election lawsuits. If your headlines are still about the elections, your vaccine demand just isn't going to be there.

Those mega-sites should have been opened up earlier. That's partly where the states fell behind - but it's learning by doing. They are still figuring it all out by themselves.

Last edited:
Another challenge has been the prioritization. The US does not have any central database of occupations or medical diagnoses. My state has decided to forgo any prioritization other than healthcare workers and senior facilities, then just going by age.

Another challenge has been the prioritization. The US does not have any central database of occupations or medical diagnoses. My state has decided to forgo any prioritization other than healthcare workers and senior facilities, then just going by age.
I think we'll end up seeing more of this. While the other prioritizations make sense, to a degree, and certainly provide the best mitigation in the realm of healthcare workers and the very ill and elderly, it becomes too cumbersome to prove eligibility at some point. The fastest check is a DL or birth certificate or other ID for age. There will be a lot of people with comorbidities and high-risk work caught along the way, especially once we hit 40-50 years old in the coming weeks to a month.

I was looking for the best thread for this piece of news, and I think this is the one.

In the Netherlands, we currently have that everyone has to show a negative test result (done within the last 72 hours) if you want to travel to the Netherlands. We get now an addition for The United Kingdom and South Africa. Prior to boarding you need to do a rapid test at the airport. If this is also negative, you can board the plan, or ship from the UK, to travel to NL.

I was looking for the best thread for this piece of news, and I think this is the one.

In the Netherlands, we currently have that everyone has to show a negative test result (done within the last 72 hours) if you want to travel to the Netherlands. We get now an addition for The United Kingdom and South Africa. Prior to boarding you need to do a rapid test at the airport. If this is also negative, you can board the plan, or ship from the UK, to travel to NL.

The US has a similar rule for anyone flying internationally into the US. Still doesn't make me want to travel.
COVID test to be required for international passengers flying into US (usatoday.com)

We are hoping to find out soon for some friends who are in their 40's if they will be bumped up due to some health issues. I have read on other forums that some post major surgery were being moved to the front of the line so there is some hope, especially now that the super strains are showing up in state. It sounds like it took their Doctors to accomplish this though. Time will tell. Personally I really hope they move households with people with compromised immune systems up to protect them as much as possible.

We are hoping to find out soon for some friends who are in their 40's if they will be bumped up due to some health issues. I have read on other forums that some post major surgery were being moved to the front of the line so there is some hope, especially now that the super strains are showing up in state. It sounds like it took their Doctors to accomplish this though. Time will tell. Personally I really hope they move households with people with compromised immune systems up to protect them as much as possible.
I find this quite interesting. My husband had a whole organ transplant one year ago. He has quite a wait ahead of him still in our state. He signed up for Hopkins monitoring trial for transplant recipients, and his care team is very excited that he's part of the trial. But it's pretty meaningless until we hit 1C in our county and HIS specific sub-category opens. (I find it laughable that we have 1A, 1B, 1C, and are in 1B right now but not everyone who is 1B - only certain 1B people. Other 1B people have to wait a bit longer. For heaven's sake, if you're going to break it down, literally break.it.down. As though this is less confusing than just having 1A through 1F or the like!)

I find this quite interesting. My husband had a whole organ transplant one year ago. He has quite a wait ahead of him still in our state. He signed up for Hopkins monitoring trial for transplant recipients, and his care team is very excited that he's part of the trial. But it's pretty meaningless until we hit 1C in our county and HIS specific sub-category opens. (I find it laughable that we have 1A, 1B, 1C, and are in 1B right now but not everyone who is 1B - only certain 1B people. Other 1B people have to wait a bit longer. For heaven's sake, if you're going to break it down, literally break.it.down. As though this is less confusing than just having 1A through 1F or the like!)

I think every state is doing it differently. We haven’t even tried to find out for us. Our assisted living homes haven’t even been vaccinated yet, but my doctor who rotates into the hospital ICU from time to time has gotten both doses so that is great. Just heard on the news there is a push day care providers to be next in line in our state or if not next pretty soon. This tells me they don’t have a plan yet grr:(

I hope you and your husband can get vaccinated sooner.

I think every state is doing it differently. We haven’t even tried to find out for us. Our assisted living homes haven’t even been vaccinated yet, but my doctor who rotates into the hospital ICU from time to time has gotten both doses so that is great. Just heard on the news there is a push day care providers to be next in line in our state or if not next pretty soon. This tells me they don’t have a plan yet grr:(

I hope you and your husband can get vaccinated sooner.
Thank you! I get my 2nd dose on Monday (not related in any manner to his health) while he continues to wait for his turn. On the one hand, I feel immense guilt for being able to get it before him, but we have kids, and this virus is so unpredictable.

Our state isn't really even following one plan. It's county by county, and they aren't defining groups in the same manner either. One county says "K-12" for educators, next one down includes university faculty, and so on. It's so messy.

Sometimes people with a compromised immune system shouldn't receive vaccines. I would double check with his/her immunologist.

ETA: Sorry, I just re-read your post. You said households should be moved up. I fully agree.

They need to just come out and say, "All of you healthy, working from home crowd, it will be summer before we get to you."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter