The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update on my second Pfizer dose. Received Friday around 10am. Normal site soreness, no swelling. About 12 hours later, mild mid-back aches and what felt like a mild fever. Took temp, 99.1. Took 325mg Tylenol and slept ok. Next morning more of the same, but a little lethargic through the day. Temp peaked at 100.5, took one more dose of NSAID, this time 400mg Advil since muscle aches were a little worse. Plenty of water and watching 40s - 60s Disney animation and relaxing, by 30 hours post injection I was back to normal.

Thanks for the update.
Hope you continue to feel good.

Quick update on my second Pfizer dose. Received Friday around 10am. Normal site soreness, no swelling. About 12 hours later, mild mid-back aches and what felt like a mild fever. Took temp, 99.1. Took 325mg Tylenol and slept ok. Next morning more of the same, but a little lethargic through the day. Temp peaked at 100.5, took one more dose of NSAID, this time 400mg Advil since muscle aches were a little worse. Plenty of water and watching 40s - 60s Disney animation and relaxing, by 30 hours post injection I was back to normal.
Sounds like you got a vaccine!

Pfizer/BioNTech are now predicting 2 billion doses of their vaccine to be produced in 2021. That's up from the initial estimate of 1.3 billion.

https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...-covid-19-vaccine-doses-in-2021-idUSL8N2JM3P3
Simultaneously, the vaccine uptake has been slow in the US, and there is a real possibility of having to expand the eligibility sooner than planned.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/11/cov...igibility-expansion-sooner-than-expected.html

It doesn’t help all the have to social distance and wear a mask for who knows how long even after getting a vaccine, I know so many that had planned to get it when they could that now have said they will wait and consider it later.

It doesn’t help all the have to social distance and wear a mask for who knows how long even after getting a vaccine, I know so many that had planned to get it when they could that now have said they will wait and consider it later.
Exactly. The continuation of life as is (the dreaded new normal), even if it is only for a transitional period, is going to be deal-killer for a lot of people. Talk of 100 day mask mandate from the incoming administration could give people hope for an end to this, but if they go with that, and then extend it, it could easily backfire.

1st Moderna in arm this morning AND will continue to wear mask and SD after 2nd. Have no problem continuing with mask until ?????? or death, whichever comes first
Very good. Did you have a choice of which vaccine to get?

I hope so. I don't know what might have possessed his wife to put out misinformation. Maybe she doesn't believe the article?

It's call the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. We are all susceptible to it. We assume that because one thing came after the other, the first thing caused it. But the timing alone isn't enough to know that. Let's say every day 100 people are likely to have what her husband had (I don't know this - it is just for discussion). There is a chance that one of those people just happened to have the vaccine in close proximity to the onset of the condition. People assume the vaccine caused it, when it didn't.

In this situation, the vaccine could have caused it. It could be a very rare side affect. But even if a doctor told her that, he/she is simply not in a position to know that. The only way to have some degree of certainty is to study the vaccine (as they have done and are doing) to see if we get higher rates of this condition from those vaccinated. Eventually, statistics will give us some certainty. Until then, people should consider that it is a possibility and weigh that possibility against the benefits of the vaccine. I am not very high-risk, but would personally get the vaccine to help those around me, as serious side affects still appear very rare. I might not be at a place where I would give it to my teenagers yet (even if approved for them).

CDC is immediately expanding vaccine availability to anyone over 65. This should speed up the bottlenecks the other requirements were causing. Fingers crossed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/12/cov...and-eligibility-to-everyone-65-and-older.html

States control the vaccine distribution though. Being told they need to expand eligibility doesn't really matter since the states control what is going on (Texas and Florida expanded or prioritized 65+ already a couple weeks back if I remember correctly).

Same reason Biden's 100 Day Mask "initiative" was "turned down" by various states as well because the states control the policies no requirement to take it on.

I also find it hilarious that Senate Democrats are complaining about the Feds not telling them how to effectively distribute the vaccinations.

Any state needing the Federal Government to tell them how to run a vaccine deployment is terribly ill-prepared and those state health departments need to be gutted with new people brought in. You knew since February a vaccine would eventually come and you would need to distribute it. Yes the Federal Government should be there for additional consultation but not for planning vaccine deployment.

States control the vaccine distribution though. Being told they need to expand eligibility doesn't really matter since the states control what is going on (Texas and Florida expanded or prioritized 65+ already a couple weeks back if I remember correctly).

Same reason Biden's 100 Day Mask "initiative" was "turned down" by various states as well because the states control the policies no requirement to take it on.

I also find it hilarious that Senate Democrats are complaining about the Feds not telling them how to effectively distribute the vaccinations.

Any state needing the Federal Government to tell them how to run a vaccine deployment is terribly ill-prepared and those state health departments need to be gutted with new people brought in. You knew since February a vaccine would eventually come and you would need to distribute it. Yes the Federal Government should be there for additional consultation but not for planning vaccine deployment.
People in my state of North Carolina have been waiting in their cars up to 12 hours to get the vaccine. Total cluster.

So true.
I don't understand how is it that the vaccine companies have been announcing their progress all year, and yet so many governors acted as if it were some pipe dream? It's not like the progress was kept top secret.
Why didn't they start prepping until after the FDA gave the green light?
I was reading that WV has already administered more vaccines than NY.
Ok so maybe the deep freeze issue was not anticipated but they could have had a website up and running where people could sign up for it and then have software that could filter or prioritize people based on occupation, age, risk factors, etc. They could have staked out some locations of where it could be administered. Or they could just sit and wait until it's approved and then scramble frantically which is what NJ seems to have done. It's sad that some vaccine has had to be disposed of because once defrosted, it must be given within 5 days.

People in my state of North Carolina have been waiting in their cars up to 12 hours to get the vaccine. Total cluster.

That is crazy. They need to eat a slice of humble pie and ask advice from corporations who are known for getting the job of People Moving done efficiently. Look at how Disney knows how to move people. Sure they have their moments when it's less than stellar but overall given the scope of size of WDW, they're pretty amazing. (Land, boat, monorail, skyliner) They use a variety of methods to get it done. Some resorts have more than one method.

Look at Chick-Fil-A. Their drive throughs are sometimes 2-4 lanes wide, and full. So they put people out on foot with ipads to take orders and pay in advance instead of making everyone wait to get to the squawker on the loudspeaker to order, then pay at the window. I've been in line with 30 cars and we're still through it with hot food in 15 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!