Pets

SuperJ

Not born, but mostly raised in Disney
Anyone have any recent experience staying with their pets? Taking two dogs in December. Staying at Sapphire falls. Intending to leave the parks and return to the room to walk them during the day. Plan to call and request a first floor room, but wondering if anyone has stayed with pets recently and how their experience went. Especially interested in check-in - my rescue dogs are afraid of strangers (part of the reason leaving them home with a sitter doesn't work) so if there's a walk to walk them around the hotel or on a lesser traveled route, rather than through the hotel or lobby to the room, that would be ideal. Have not stayed at this resort before so not familiar with the layout or how much of a walk we'd have from the car to the room. Any other tips?

Anyone have any recent experience staying with their pets? Taking two dogs in December. Staying at Sapphire falls. Intending to leave the parks and return to the room to walk them during the day. Plan to call and request a first floor room, but wondering if anyone has stayed with pets recently and how their experience went. Especially interested in check-in - my rescue dogs are afraid of strangers (part of the reason leaving them home with a sitter doesn't work) so if there's a walk to walk them around the hotel or on a lesser traveled route, rather than through the hotel or lobby to the room, that would be ideal. Have not stayed at this resort before so not familiar with the layout or how much of a walk we'd have from the car to the room. Any other tips?
The wording is a bit weird, but I don't think you are allowed to leave your pet in your room unattended.

The official line is
Pets should be supervised at all times while in the hotel or on the property
The 'should' word is a bit odd. They use it in other places where it seems like 'must', but they also use 'not allowed' in others. For example, they say pets should be leashed or restrained in common areas. That one doesn't seem optional to me.

Interested to hear if anyone knows what they actually mean.

Not too long ago someone posted a report of their dogs getting sick after staying on property can’t remember which hotel and the circumstances. Could you leave them at the vet’s office? They would know how to care for them and give medicine if needed. Or, have you ever tried a kennel? Our current dog is a rescue who was abused and it takes her time to get used to people she is never aggressive just backs away if does not feel comfortable and prior to COVID when we would go on vacation the place we left her had a doggie day camp so she was busy during the day and it usually took her a few days to adjust they would tell us when we picked her up but she did great.

When we have stayed with our pet at RPR:
  1. The pet rooms have always been on the ground floor. We have never had to even ask for that.
  2. We were told that if we leave the room, our pet must be in its cage. This is to protect any hotel staff from "issues" should they need to get into the room.
  3. There is a walking area for RPR. And were able to bring him to eat with us (outside seating) at Jakes though you can not bring your pet to the pool area.

We took our Pug with us in June when we stayed at Hard Rock. We would come back midday to walk her, but other than that, she just chilled on the bed all day. We did not put her in a cage. The pet rooms are on the first floor and they have very nice areas that you can walk your dog. You'll also get a little gift bag of stuff for them.

Check out Derek Burgan’s Saturday Six from Touring Plans-hes stayed at a few resorts with his dog Bacini. I believe last week was them at HRH

The wording is a bit weird, but I don't think you are allowed to leave your pet in your room unattended.

The official line is

The 'should' word is a bit odd. They use it in other places where it seems like 'must', but they also use 'not allowed' in others. For example, they say pets should be leashed or restrained in common areas. That one doesn't seem optional to me.

Interested to hear if anyone knows what they actually mean.

I spoke with the front desk and their response was that pets cannot be left unattended overnight, owners are expected to walk their pets at reasonable intervals or arrange a service, there must be a number where i can be reached if there is a problem, and there is a $10 per hour fee if they have to have someone come to the room to sit with or remove the dog. So, they didn't say pets can't be left unattended at all, but they didn't say it was prohibited, either. from the bloggers i've found on google, seems like it's fine to leave them for a few hours and people do it if they're well-behaved. and the hotel isn't going to care as long as no one complains about nonstop barking.

Not too long ago someone posted a report of their dogs getting sick after staying on property can’t remember which hotel and the circumstances. Could you leave them at the vet’s office? They would know how to care for them and give medicine if needed. Or, have you ever tried a kennel? Our current dog is a rescue who was abused and it takes her time to get used to people she is never aggressive just backs away if does not feel comfortable and prior to COVID when we would go on vacation the place we left her had a doggie day camp so she was busy during the day and it usually took her a few days to adjust they would tell us when we picked her up but she did great.

my vet's office doesn't offer boarding and they don't always get along with other dogs. i did look into a couple of well-reviewed kennels both here and in orlando that offered private "suites" because i think that is what would work best for them and all are already booked for the holidays. similar to yours, mine aren't aggressive but back away/try to run if a stranger tries to approach.

they don't do crates (that will make them bark the whole time I'm gone. they don't like them), but I am planning to bring a dog gate and putting it across where the little "entry hallway" in the room ends, to separate the bed area from the bathroom/room door. hopefully will keep the dogs in and anyone ignoring the dog sign out.

As long as they aren't barky while you are at the parks, it shouldn't be an issue. If there are complaints, you will have to stay with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter