Petition to Replace the Main Street Bakery at the Magic Kingdom with Starbucks

Do you ever feel uncomfortable reading a debate? I sorta did in this case...

Back on topic, I signed the petition but I wish I could qualify my answer. I DO like Starbucks hot cocoa (I'm not a coffee drinker) and I like to be able to dash across the street from work to get some when I'm chilly. But the mental image of seeing THAT Starbucks on Main Street is sad to me. So I truly hope Disney makes Starbucks comport its look to match the surroundings seamlessly. I don't want a giant circle-type sign, I don't want the cheesy smattering of so-so pastries and I really don't want that lady in Prada shoes and a Gucci bag (tsk tsk for not matching, ya rich lady) tapping her feet with impatience while ordering her non-fat, skim milk, extra caffiene mocha. That's all I'm saying. Keep it themed correctly with the right "air" about it and I'll be happy :)

Do you ever feel uncomfortable reading a debate? I sorta did in this case...

Back on topic, I signed the petition but I wish I could qualify my answer. I DO like Starbucks hot cocoa (I'm not a coffee drinker) and I like to be able to dash across the street from work to get some when I'm chilly. But the mental image of seeing THAT Starbucks on Main Street is sad to me. So I truly hope Disney makes Starbucks comport its look to match the surroundings seamlessly. I don't want a giant circle-type sign, I don't want the cheesy smattering of so-so pastries and I really don't want that lady in Prada shoes and a Gucci bag (tsk tsk for not matching, ya rich lady) tapping her feet with impatience while ordering her non-fat, skim milk, extra caffiene mocha. That's all I'm saying. Keep it themed correctly with the right "air" about it and I'll be happy :)

Now that is an image I would love to see in the parks! I'm not a label hound, so I don't even know if I could identify Prada and Gucci, but would find it hilarious to see someone doing that at Disney. I would follow her to see her ride Splash in that get-up! :rotfl2:

Now that is an image I would love to see in the parks! I'm not a label hound, so I don't even know if I could identify Prada and Gucci, but would find it hilarious to see someone doing that at Disney. I would follow her to see her ride Splash in that get-up! :rotfl2:

I'd love to see that too, and the she goes to city hall to complain that she got wet on splash mountain.:rotfl2:

lady in Prada shoes and a Gucci bag (tsk tsk for not matching, ya rich lady) tapping her feet with impatience while ordering her non-fat, skim milk, extra caffiene mocha.

There's a guy that frequents my local S'bucks that drives a Lotus.

All I can say is "Who drives a LOTUS??"

I'm excited about Starbucks. But I am sad about the bakery.

For years (like 20 yrs ago) It was my moms and my tradition to go get a rice crispy treat bigger than your head and watch the parade. Now we go get a pre-made not fresh bagged pre-packaged rice crispy treat smaller than my hand. It's not the same but we changed. It's a fond memory we have moved to Goofy candy shop for our treats.

I do like going to the bakery and getting something. I just hope they keep it fresh.

I am looking forward to a LONG LINE to get my salted Carmel mocha. It will be nice for late night parties.

Now can we get Concourse Steakhouse or Mr. Toad back.

Any chance Starbucks will offer fast passes??

There's a guy that frequents my local S'bucks that drives a Lotus.

All I can say is "Who drives a LOTUS??"

I wouldn't know a Lotus if it pulled up right beside me. :confused3 Does it have a flowery logo? :flower3:

Back on topic: I'm not bothered by the change as long as Disney does what they've described they are going to do.

I'm not a coffee drinker at all and find SB Tea adequate...we do like the odd frappuccino though and I love their chai latte :-)lovestruc steamed milk). I have been somewhat surprised at the controversy due to the vilification of the current coffee offerings by so many.

Lets break this down and get to the heart of this because I am hearing different stories. Is it....

Starbucks replacing Main Street Bakery

or

Main Street Bakery now serving Starbucks Coffee

or

Starbucks being brought in, molded into the existing MSB.

What do you think?

From what I can gather: A mainly existing version of Main Street Bakery, with subtle molding of Starbucks definitely serving Starbucks Coffee.

From what I can gather: A mainly existing version of Main Street Bakery, with subtle molding of Starbucks definitely serving Starbucks Coffee.

After much research, that is what I think and I hope. A "subtle" thing. But here is the thing, I can't give an honest opinion until I am there and have seen it, if I even notice it. And if it takes or not takes away from Main Street and its feel.

I'm glad op posted the link so everyone could have an opportunity to sign if they wish. To me, it will be a sad day. I don't envision Main St. Bakery blended with a corporate brand name. As I walk down Main St. I love the transition from gas lamps to electric. There's a nostalgic feeling along Main St. It's a sad day. :sad1:

Isn't Disney a Corporate brand? :confused3

Yes...no room for them on Main Street either. ;)

I don't really understand the corporate take over part of the debate. I can't tell you how many pictures I have of the Smucker's Jams & Jellies window on Main Street (my grandad worked for Smucker's) and the ice cream parlor isn't Disney ice cream...it's Edy's complete with Edy's signs. I understand the old time Main Street feel argument, just not the corporate side of it.

I signed it. I would be sad to see this happen. I am sad that they already brought it to the DLR. Change is inevitable I guess, but no harm in signing and letting Disney know if you don't like something, whether they are going to listen or not!

For those who haven't listened yet, Pete weighs in on this petition during this week's show.

Yes...no room for them on Main Street either. ;)

I don't really understand the corporate take over part of the debate. I can't tell you how many pictures I have of the Smucker's Jams & Jellies window on Main Street (my grandad worked for Smucker's) and the ice cream parlor isn't Disney ice cream...it's Edy's complete with Edy's signs. I understand the old time Main Street feel argument, just not the corporate side of it.

Amen. Eddy's signs at the ice cream parlor, Coke-a-Cola signs all over the place, etc. The MSB isn't going to change much, it will just start offering Starbucks items in addition to some of the old items. Not the end of the world. At least we'll have something besides Nescrape to drink. Corporate food and beverage partnerships have been a part of the Disney park experience since Disneyland opened in 1955.

People need to go look at how the Starbucks location in DCA is themed and calm the heck down (The Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe). It is very tasteful and not at all obtrusive.

We love the Main Street Bakery but are not at all worried about this change being done in any way that is untasteful or out of place with the location.

Nor do I think it could go anywhere else in the park. It is the only location that is big enough but not too big for a cafe setting that would still fit the location/theme. Can't put it in Tomorrowland, or Fantasyland, or Adventureland, or Liberty Square... only have Main Street left, and a cafe does fit there, as it has for years.

As for the argument that a Starbucks wasn't around in turn of the century Marceline, MO - neither was an Eddy's ice cream parlor or a hot dog stand.

Amen. Eddy's signs at the ice cream parlor, Coke-a-Cola signs all over the place, etc. The MSB isn't going to change much, it will just start offering Starbucks items in addition to some of the old items. Not the end of the world. At least we'll have something besides Nescrape to drink. Corporate food and beverage partnerships have been a part of the Disney park experience since Disneyland opened in 1955.

People need to go look at how the Starbucks location in DCA is themed and calm the heck down (The Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe). It is very tasteful and not at all obtrusive.

We love the Main Street Bakery but are not at all worried about this change being done in any way that is untasteful or out of place with the location.

Nor do I think it could go anywhere else in the park. It is the only location that is big enough but not too big for a cafe setting that would still fit the location/theme. Can't put it in Tomorrowland, or Fantasyland, or Adventureland, or Liberty Square... only have Main Street left, and a cafe does fit there, as it has for years.

As for the argument that a Starbucks wasn't around in turn of the century Marceline, MO - neither was an Eddy's ice cream parlor or a hot dog stand.

I agree about the corporate logo stuff, but I still don't think it should go in the MSB. I signed the petition because while I'm not opposed to Starbucks, even on Main Street, I don't think MSB is the place for it. An SB is going to need space inside and out...MSB doesn't have it. I understand SB probably wants a spot on Main Street and maybe that was part of the deal, but SB could go into Tomorrowland....Noodle Station or Adventureland...at the mostly closed counter service place next to Tiki Birds. No one would notice or miss either place. Plus it wouldn't mean closing MSB for 6 months to put SB in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter