Peter Pan route/strategy?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by WDWvet, Aug 12, 2018.

1. WDWvet

WDWvet Earning My Ears

I’ve read most of the Peter Pan posts on this topic.

I’m wondering what the current advice is on the best route/strategy for PP during EMH at RD.

We will be through security 1 hour before opening during a EMH day and will head directly to PP.

I’m wondering what the best route is? Should I go through the castle?
    Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Congo Queen

Congo Queen DLand Devotee Since 1966

Yes straight up Main Street, walk through the middle of the hub (can go swerve to left or right around the partner's statue - doesn't matter) then directlty through the castle. As you enter Fantasyland from the castle, PP is on the immediate right. PP is basically the first line you will encounter on your right. I don't think veering to the far right in front of the castle to go past Snow White's Wishing Well saves any time or get you any advantage.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. chickapin parterre

chickapin parterre DIS Veteran

1. do you like to run or the UPS delivery shuffle?
    2. once thru the castle gate, you have to evaluate the stroller problem, may have to shift to left a bit around the strollers to find the CM monitoring the mess at the chain entrance , it will either be a direct route to the ships or you may walk in the maze. Being your first time, you apprehensiveness will probably have you going thru the maze for a 20 min wait. Once you have seen how Kensington garden stroller parking works, the next time it will be easier.
    3. Most aggressive first time visitors to Peter Pan first thing in the morning are quite taken back by the aggressive behavior once inside Fantasyland. Don't be alarmed, that is normal.

CateinPhoenix likes this.
  5. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

Hoping to piggyback on this question.

I’ve done this sans child recently and the walk through the castle was the best. We didn’t run but we hustled respectfully. We were 8th in line and it was great!

In November I’ll have my 5 year old with me. She’s never ridden PP and is a little obsessed with the idea of it (my fault!) but I know her little legs can’t hustle like we did and we’ll likely have a stroller. Is it best to ditch the stroller somewhere for that first bit? Or have one parent walk ahead and secure a spot in line? I know these seems a little ridiculous but it’s also kind of a DL right of passage. I’m ok with not being first in line but I also know she won’t be able to handle the 45 min (or longer) waits later in the day. Thoughts on this chaos with child in tow?

6. ExcitedMama

ExcitedMama DIS Veteran

You have EMH tickets? Are you staying on site? If not and you only have one EMH you might want to reconsider. The line could easily take most of your EMH. You could also consider doing it at night.

Either way it’s really not that hard to do. As said above go straight there through the castle. Right after the castle keep your eyes peeled for the line, some days it can go all the way to the castle. The line moves pretty steadily so it’s not that bad of a wait. Enjoy the view around you and look up to the window over Snow White while you’re waiting.

smartlabelprint likes this.
  7. ChelsieM

ChelsieM Earning My Ears

I’ve never done Peter Pan at either park (at least 7 visits!) but with a 3 day hopper this trip, I’m thinking I need to fit it in. There’s always been something else but
    I appreciate this feedback to make it a priority.

8. BriannaRuth

BriannaRuth DIS Veteran

I definitely would not try to have one parent walk ahead to secure a spot in line. First, it would be very difficult for the second parent with child in tow to attempt to get through the now-established line of guests ... that cue is fairly tight and you'd be sure to annoy everyone you tried to get past, all of whom have booked it to PP in an effort to secure their own spot. While walking past other guests with a child may work in other lines where people are just waiting normally, I think you'd get some flak on that on PP, where everyone you pass has gotten up early and waited a long time at the gate to get that coveted spot.

You'll either have to park the stroller alongside everyone else who's parking it near PP, or try to leave it along Main Street somewhere before you get to the rope. I've had good luck leaving strollers in the "side streets" next to a wall. Either way, taking DD out of the stroller and parking it will result in you being a bit back from the front of the pack. Which doesn't mean you'll be in for a 40 minute wait, but you may end up waiting 15-20 minutes or more.

And it's not ridiculous ... to this day our family does PP first, and that started because I did it that way with my DD in a stroller a very long time ago!

9. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

Thank you! This makes perfect sense and I think leaving the stroller on a side street will be our plan. 15-20 minute wait is totally doable!

10. chickapin parterre

..............your thinking has been clear the last 7 visits, no reason to ruin a good thought process.......Peter Pan is the most fantastical attraction in Fantasyland, you are up high on the ceiling. in a flying pirate ship, looking down onto London and Neverland, it is a mixture of what Walt Disney wanted for each attraction.... plastic molded forms, magical use of dimension and light, and a surprise at every turn....and a hidden thrill when you almost touch the moon. Once you become a "Lost Girl", you can never go back to the old patterns of touring....don't believe me... there is no bottle of Goof Off to take the pixie dust out of your clothing....welcome to Pamplona ....Disneyland style!!!

CateinPhoenix likes this.
  11. ChelsieM

ChelsieM Earning My Ears

For someone who plans every minute of every day, I was clearly doing something wrong! Perhaps I need to try the rope drop strategy! Thank you!

12. tarheelalum

tarheelalum DIS Veteran

Some of the people running for that ride are like crazed zombies. What's even worse is seeing people run likes nuts who are pushing these giant baby strollers.

13. avalon451

avalon451 Errrr... what?

The other way to do it is on on a non EMH day when there's a rope drop up at the hub. Then it's not one long sustained trot from the turnstiles-- it's trot up to the hub, where you can jockey around and be toward the right of the partners statue for a good 20 minutes or so. Then at rope drop, another short brisk walk through the castle and straight to the queue. Last time hubby and I did it, the CM walked the queue through the whole maze of chains slowly and deliberately, which stopped the pushing and madness. We were on in 10 minutes. I will always try for PP one day of our visit-- love it!

Here's DH and I in Sept. '16, at the hub rope drop before getting onto PP.

IMG_4003.JPG

14. madjohn

madjohn Mouseketeer

I just did this and my daughter. We were the first ones on PP. We arrived at 6:20 a.m. for a 7 opening for EMH. One other family was there in another line, but we were second group present and first in our line. We were scanned in prior to opening. Once it opened we were in and walked, and I mean walked, very briskly. I have a video but am not very techie so not sure how to post it. We walked down Main Street with no one in front of us. Another mother and child was about equal to us but had to hold up at castle for the father and another child. CM was waiting at beginning of line to let us in. He made us walk the maze. I would say by the time I sat on the ride the line was already 20 to 30 minutes long.

Check one thing off the bucket list.:)

Erin M and Lzylitnin like this.
  15. chickapin parterre

16. BriannaRuth

BriannaRuth DIS Veteran

Just to be clear ... I'm not saying that if you leave your stroller on a side street you're guaranteed a 15-20 minute wait. If you go that route, you'll still need to be very early, like first at the gate and one of the first at the rope. Which means you'll have to be fast and be prepared. But I've done it in the past and ended up with about that wait. Your mileage may vary!

Also, others have said you should be at the middle near the statue to enter -- we've always done it from the left rope. Straight in front is more direct, I guess, but it's more crowded if you happen to get behind someone who's moving slower than you are. Especially f you still have your stroller with you, it's alot easier on one of the bigger paths IMO. What I would do is after you drop your stroller off, see which area you can get into and be behind the fewest people ... in front of the circle, or to the left or right ropes. Either way, go through the castle.

17. smartlabelprint

smartlabelprint DIS Veteran

Can you leave the stroller hole for the morning? Take it back after nap?

18. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

Got it! Completely expecting that we won’t be out front and may have to wait a bit. I like the idea of being to the left side.

This might be an option. I think I’ll assess after day one and see how her legs are doing. We don’t nap anymore but a rest break would probably do us good. I’m secretly hoping she will be just like me and the excitement will rally her all day. In reality she’s going to be more like dad who becomes hangry and extra sassy when tired.

19. Winnowill

Winnowill DIS Veteran

No five-year-old is going to be able to go all day, and she will DEFINITELY want to nap. We were there when my DD was not-quite-five, and there were definitely naps every day, even though, officially, she didn't nap any more at home.

BriannaRuth and smartlabelprint like this.
  20. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

She must be unique. When she was three we had two park days where she didn’t nap, two that she did. We attempted them every day. Granted she was in the stroller a lot more than I think she will be this time but she made it. No late nights though. Hoping for at least one late night this time.

21. SOCALMouseMommy

SOCALMouseMommy DIS Veteran

You never know. My son does all day at Disney (up to 12 hours occasionally) and does not nap. He is 3.5 years old. When he dropped naps he dropped them hard. Twice I tried to nap him at the hotel when we did overnights and he was too hyped up. I do usually leave in time to have him in bed at a decent hour though. Every once in a while we stay late for something special like Fantasmic, fireworks or PTN. (Late meaning 9:00/9:30.)