Personal ECV, if I don't need it is there a safe place to park it?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by traceyg, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:28 PM.

1. traceyg

traceyg Mouseketeer

I am still recovering from Leukemia. I am doing well but my stamina isn't up to par yet and I had massive blood clots in my legs that cause further issues. I am also immunosuppressed.

I have my own personal ECV.

I would like to do as much walking as I can do for as long as my endurance keeps up. I know I'll probably hit a wall though, especially if it's hot. I really don't want to leave the scooter at the room if there is a place I could safely/securely park it within each park. We will be relying on Disney busses so I really don't want to have to take two busses round trip to pick it up if I can just leave it somewhere accessible. My goal is to walk Disney again! I know that once I have reached that milestone that I am done with being sick! I don't know that that is THIS trip though. :worried: However, I would like to do as much as I can on my own with the ECV close by for backup. (I hope this makes sense)

Any ideas? Will First Aid allow me to leave it there? Has anyone done this?

2. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

Just ride it into the Park - and then park it in a "central" location for the activities you plan to do while you are in that area. Ask any Cast Member where the best place is to park - and then be sure to take your key (if your ECV has one, mine doesn't so I just disconnect the battery LOL) Don't leave anything in/on the scooter that you don't mind losing to the squirrels! (not kidding - some of those fat little stinkers are BOLD!)

By driving it into the park, you have it *if* you need it - and if you don't (and I will certainly keep a happy thought for you! :)) then you have a nice place to sit when you are waiting for the bus back to the Resort! :)

Aside from one or two exceptions that I am personally aware of, the vast majority of scooter users at WDW have left their ECVs parked inside the Theme Parks at some point with zero problems.

Congratulations on your recovery - I truly hope you continue on to the most complete recovery possible, and that your next trip is filled with Magic! :)

RaySharpton likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. arminnie

arminnie <font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br

It is probably safer to leave your personal ECV than a rental one. On more than one occasion someone has picked up the wrong rental ECV by mistake which has caused problems and loss of time for the person who is looking for it. It's unlikely that someone is going to mistakenly grab your personal ECV.

5. traceyg

traceyg Mouseketeer

Thank you!! I might do that. I’d hate for it to be in the way. When we’ve taken my son’s stroller it was easy for CM’s to move it as necessary. I’m sure if I ask they’ll have better ideas than whatever might look good to me.
    Thanks for the ideas!

mamabunny likes this.
  6. traceyg

traceyg Mouseketeer

I think I’m more concerned with putting it in the wrong place and a CM having to contend with it. It’s fully insured and honestly if someone is desperate enough to steal an ECV I’d probably just hand them the key so they wouldn’t have to tear it up.

mamabunny likes this.
  7. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

It won't be in the way - I promise! :) Just work with the CMs in the area where you want to park. And remember that you can move it from area to area throughout your time in the Park; that way, if you tire out unexpectedly (I think we have all had one of those late-afternoon "sinking spells" as my Grandma used to call them!) then it's closer to where you are.

8. traceyg

traceyg Mouseketeer

Thank you!

mamabunny likes this.
  9. Starwind

Starwind DIS Veteran

I rent an ECV for my WDWW visits. What I do in the parks is ride the ECV to an area (e.g. tomorrowland) and if I am feeling up to it I park it in a safe place (e.g. at tommorrowland there is well-marked ECV parking at the base of the Peoplemover, which is under shelter whiich is nice if it starts raining). I then walk to and do the attractions in that area, then back to the ECV and ride it to the next area. At a restaurant I usually park it outside instead of trying to navigate it inside [which is both crowded with people and tables]. Many areas have marked areas for ECV/wheelchair parking, but if they don't there are usually other ECVs parked that I will park beside (as long as it makes sense to safely park there). If not, there is stroller parking. And there are usually CMs around the stroller parking area that you can ask where to park the ECV.

And, ALWAYS BRING THE KEY WITH YOU. While someone can disengage it and push it manually without the key if they know how to, they can't *drive* it without a key.

SW

mamabunny likes this.
  10. traceyg

traceyg Mouseketeer

And, ALWAYS BRING THE KEY WITH YOU. While someone can disengage it and push it manually without the key if they know how to, they can't *drive* it without a key.
    haha! Yes!

Is it wrong that I hope that I can do so much that I forgot where I parked it? Some days I feel like I am there and then other days I get so not so subtly reminded that I am still healing.

mamabunny likes this.
  11. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

That will be my wish for you - that you can forget where you parked it! :)

Just remember that it's only a tool to use, really just in case you need it. It's no different than any other tool you use in your daily life (like a calculator to do math) - the exception is that you don't need it at home, only at Disney World, right?

And even if you *do* need, it doesn't mean you are a "failure" or that you aren't still healing. It just means that the condition at WDW - where the *average* Guest walks between 3 and 10 miles PER DAY - are still a bit outside of your range. That's all.

Have a wonderful trip - and don't worry! :)

Starwind likes this.
  12. Tiki_Sara

Tiki_Sara Mouseketeer

There is plenty of ECV parking in the parks. If it's parked in one of the designated places, no one would know how long it had been there or need you to move it at any point. You could leave it there all day and that would be just fine and I am sure you will be able to enjoy yourself a lot more knowing its close by if and when you need it. Take a photo on your phone of where you parked it with something distinguishing in the background for reference and that should make it easier to find.

Great news on your recovery and I hope you have a wonderful time

mamabunny likes this.