Personal checks

klj27

DIS Veteran
Will the front desk at moderate resorts cash checks for those staying there? If so, is there a limit per day/trip?

tia

I think there is a minimum either $25 or $50 per day - the parks will do it too.

However there are ATM all over the place - so just bring your ATM card.

spiceycat said:
I think there is a minimum either $25 or $50 per day - the parks will do it too.

However there are ATM all over the place - so just bring your ATM card.

After being charged almost $5 (a charge from their bank and our bank) every time I used the ATM at WDW we started using checks to get cash. ;)

klj27 said:
After being charged almost $5 (a charge from their bank and our bank) every time I used the ATM at WDW we started using checks to get cash. ;)

Wow... $5?!?! I'm pretty sure the legal limit is $2, maybe $2.50

ETA: Nevermind... I jsut did some research and found that most states don't have any limits. That's crazy!!

kandmwedding said:
Wow... $5?!?! I'm pretty sure the legal limit is $2, maybe $2.50

ETA: Nevermind... I jsut did some research and found that most states don't have any limits. That's crazy!!

I honestly don't know what the current charges are for ATM usage, because we never use any except for the one at our bank. (No fee.) The last time we used one at WDW would have been 97 or 98 and I remember each bank charging us 2 or 2.50. Yikes!!

What a coincidence?

I just called the Pop Century, and I'm sure the other resorts have the same policy, and was told that you can cash a personal check up to $50 a day.

Hope this helps. :flower:

Bounce a WHOLE lot fewer checks that way. In fact, since we got rid of the ATM cards, we have not bounced a check in 3.5 years!

a family member is celebrating her birthday at wdw & i want to give her a check in her card (i dont want to lug a gift or bring to much cash) will the front desk allow her to sign my check/gift & cash it for her ? (she'll be 18). that would be great, less cash to bring & she could spend her gift at wdw doing whatever she wants.

does anyone know?

twojo21 said:
a family member is celebrating her birthday at wdw & i want to give her a check in her card (i dont want to lug a gift or bring to much cash) will the front desk allow her to sign my check/gift & cash it for her ? (she'll be 18). that would be great, less cash to bring & she could spend her gift at wdw doing whatever she wants.

does anyone know?

Have you thought of giving her Disney Dollars instead... much more fun and no problem cashing it!

You can cash $200 in travelers checks daily though. We typically have a daily budget of $200 and get however many days we are going x's the 200 in travelers checks before leaving and then each day before we head to the parks DH cashes the $200 at the desk and we are on our way. We also have never used the ATM card there because of the double whammy with the fees so we take the travelers checks for cash and use the debit or room card to pay for any sit down meals or souveniers etc that we don't want to use the cash for.

landmark said:
You can cash $200 in travelers checks daily though. We typically have a daily budget of $200 and get however many days we are going x's the 200 in travelers checks before leaving and then each day before we head to the parks DH cashes the $200 at the desk and we are on our way. QUOTE]

Wow, never would have thought this...thanks!!! This would be a great idea for us for our honeymoon. :) I really dont want to get stuck with the double whammy fees for the ATM uses and I'm sure my DF doesn't either.

Disney_Freak56 said:
What a coincidence?

I just called the Pop Century, and I'm sure the other resorts have the same policy, and was told that you can cash a personal check up to $50 a day.

Hope this helps. :flower:

Thanks for sharing the information. I was hoping it was $50 - that's what the amount was when we stayed at the DTD hotels on our last three trips.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

I would not recommend giving her a check on the assumption she would be allowed to cash it at Disney. Most places will not cash a 3rd party check. I would suggest disney dollars instead also, or time your check so that she can cash it before she leaves, or see if your bank sells american express gift checks. They are basically travelers checks designed to be given as a gift.

thank you for the suggestions! i didnt even think of disney dollars or travelers cheques (duh :goodvibes ) we're all vacationing at wdw at the same time so that will work out great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter