Perks of staying in the park versus a good neighbor hotel???

Walking through DTD to your hotel after a long day vs exiting Harbor side which feels like the Vegas Strip and not at all the Disney "bubble".

On the way into the parks, again having DTD on your way for Starbucks or a quick bite and still feeling like you are in the resort

Well not sure what your idea of the obvious is, but to me that would be taking advantage of EMH every day and in some cases, but not all, being closer to the parks.

Other than that -- most of the DLR hotels have better pool areas than most non DLR hotels.

Disney theming in the rooms and common areas (some DLR hotels more than others).

At the DLH and GCH, I like walking through DTD going to the parks in the morning.

The DLR and the GCH both have unique restaurants (ie Trader Sam's, Goofy's Kitchen at the DLH and Napa Rose and Storyellers at the GCH) that you would have easier access to if you stayed there.

Staying onsite means you get complimentary package delivery from stores inside the resorts to your room, so you don't have to lug stuff around or collect it when you leave the parks.

Staying at the DLH also puts you pretty close to the monorail, so it's easy to take that into and out of the park.

You can charge food, etc. to your room inside the parks by using your room key, which you can't do from other hotels.

.....and just in case other folks considering onsite are reading this thread, the magic of EMH is not guaranteed . a great current trip report being written by a fantastic visitor had a difficult time with EMH at DCA and did not accomplish their original planned goals .

It's really just the Disney bubble part, honestly. There's not much else. The EMH is nice but also makes the park more crowded that day.
That being said, I love the DL resorts and I always feel like I'm really having a Disney vacation when staying at one over an offsite hotel. I actually prefer the Disneyland Hotel over the others, but Grand Californian is very beautiful.

Perks I like - Charging to room, but keep track because you could end up with a large bill.
Package - Send them back to the room is great, BUT, remember to pick them up. (We have a pillow awaiting our return to get it!)
EMH - We rarely use it.
Not having to use the Harbor side security.
To me the walk thru DTD to the hotels is not magical, especially going past the parking trams, and the crowds. I actually prefer the walk back to the Candy Cane over the DTD walk.
Little happenings such as movie nights out in the lawns.
Pool parties at certain times of the day.
Wash cloth folding (this was so much fun!)

.....and just in case other folks considering onsite are reading this thread, the magic of EMH is not guaranteed . a great current trip report being written by a fantastic visitor had a difficult time with EMH at DCA and did not accomplish their original planned goals .

I am curious if you can link this report about EMH not being guaranteed. I 'd like to read about this. Thank you!

It's just that sometimes all of the rides are not open at the beginning of EMH. It has happened to me in the past RSR or TSMM does not open right away. Have not had that happen to me the last several times we have been there.

It's just that sometimes all of the rides are not open at the beginning of EMH. It has happened to me in the past RSR or TSMM does not open right away. Have not had that happen to me the last several times we have been there.

Oh that makes sense. I think that is a given that the ride may not be open. Disappointing, but normal. i thought there was something else about EMH in general. You can still do a lot of rides at DCA during that first hour.

Dining and other reservations are held aside for on site hotel guests. Also the only full service hotel within the same walking distance as the onsite hotels is courtyard Marriott theme park. So basically a perk for onsite is interior hallways, room service and pools not in parking lots. Its a completely different vacation staying on site.

Another couple points for me

As was mentioned Room Service... And it is close to DTD for food. We usually arrive late and hungry. It is nice to either hit the Taquiria or Jazz Kitchen, or if we are too lazy for that, we do room service.

Bell Services. We travel heavy. My daughter is partially deaf, and travels with a service dog, who travels with more luggage than me. So, bell services is a big deal for us, especially if it is just the 2 of us.

NOT HAVING TO DRIVE OR WALK VERY FAR if staying longer in the parks ! I meant it's not THAT FAR but if you may have had a long day and YOUR room is literally a short stroll away VS tram ride, parking lot and possibly shady LONG hike a block away..... I would go with short stroll away preferably The Grand!!
YES.....DVC!!!!

Well not sure what your idea of the obvious is, but to me that would be taking advantage of EMH every day and in some cases, but not all, being closer to the parks.

Other than that -- most of the DLR hotels have better pool areas than most non DLR hotels.

Disney theming in the rooms and common areas (some DLR hotels more than others).

At the DLH and GCH, I like walking through DTD going to the parks in the morning.

The DLR and the GCH both have unique restaurants (ie Trader Sam's, Goofy's Kitchen at the DLH and Napa Rose and Storyellers at the GCH) that you would have easier access to if you stayed there.

Staying onsite means you get complimentary package delivery from stores inside the resorts to your room, so you don't have to lug stuff around or collect it when you leave the parks.

Staying at the DLH also puts you pretty close to the monorail, so it's easy to take that into and out of the park.

You can charge food, etc. to your room inside the parks by using your room key, which you can't do from other hotels.

What about access to paradise pier where is that located? Not DTD? Also I keep reading that I would only get 1 Early magic morning if I stayed and it had to be 3 days to even get that! Was wondering if characters walked through the hotel lobby area ever

Perks I like - Charging to room, but keep track because you could end up with a large bill.
Package - Send them back to the room is great, BUT, remember to pick them up. (We have a pillow awaiting our return to get it!)
EMH - We rarely use it.
Not having to use the Harbor side security.
To me the walk thru DTD to the hotels is not magical, especially going past the parking trams, and the crowds. I actually prefer the walk back to the Candy Cane over the DTD walk.
Little happenings such as movie nights out in the lawns.
Pool parties at certain times of the day.
Wash cloth folding (this was so much fun!)

What hotel would you prefer that's a good neighbor one that's close??

Dining and other reservations are held aside for on site hotel guests. Also the only full service hotel within the same walking distance as the onsite hotels is courtyard Marriott theme park. So basically a perk for onsite is interior hallways, room service and pools not in parking lots. Its a completely different vacation staying on site.

Have you stayed at the courtyard Marriott theme park (is that what it's called exactly?)

What about access to paradise pier where is that located? Not DTD? Also I keep reading that I would only get 1 Early magic morning if I stayed and it had to be 3 days to even get that! Was wondering if characters walked through the hotel lobby area ever
Paradise Pier is located across the street from the Grand. Staying onsite, you get EMH every day you are there.

PPH is across from the GCH and below the DLH. People used to walk through the GCH to DTD or the GCH park entrance from PPH but this is no longer allowed. You now have to walk up to basically the end of DTD where the DLH is and go in that way. From what I understand you can still take the shortcut through the Grand to walk back to the PPH from the parks.

What you heard was about Magic Morning (MM) which is tied to the type of ticket you buy. You have to purchase a 3day or longer ticket to get 1 magic morning which will allow you access to Disneyland 1 hour before it opens. MM at DL are usually on Tues, Thurs and Saturday.

Extra Magic Hour (EMH) is available to all guests of on site resorts only (GCH, DLH, PPH). EMH allows access to Disneyland 1 hour early on the same days as Magic Morning and to DCA 1 hour early on the other days (usually Mon, Weds, Fri and Sun).

So as an on site guest, you have early entry to one of the parks every day. The only way to get early entry to DCA is as an on site guest.

As an off site guest, the only type of early entry you will have is a MM IF you buy a 3 day or longer ticket.

Have you stayed at the courtyard Marriott theme park (is that what it's called exactly?)
Yes. We have stayed there a few times. I would say it is very comparable to PPH. Its about the same walk to the parks, about the same level of luxury and about the same level of amenities. Courtyard has 2 queen with a bunk bed rooms as their "standard" room which works well for our family. We used to be die hard PPH fans for the EMH and the other conveniences but we have APs and a DAS so EMH is not as critical to us now. When they closed off the ability to walk through the GCH to get to the parks, it pushed my willingness to pay too far and we started using Courtyard Theme Park (I think that is the exact name. You want the one with the word "theme park" in it). The last trip we discovered that we can stay at a much nicer hotel in Garden Grove for literally half the price of Courtyard theme park and Uber to and from the parks for 5 bucks and I think that will be our new go to plan. Of course that only works if you only have 4 people and none require carseats. I have tried a couple motels across the street and I finally had to admit, I am just not a motel person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter