Perhaps an odd question about DME check-in

klacey1

DIS Veteran
Apologies, because I understand this may seem like a strange question: When you check in at DME, does the Cast Member usually ask you which resort you're staying at, or do they simply prompt you to tap your magic band, THEN verify resort by what comes up on the magic band and direct you to the correct lane?

I know this is totally inconsequential, but as a surprise, I upgraded my July trip from POR to BC and am keeping the upgrade secret from my travel companion until we get to DME. I thought if they simply asked you to tap your MB and then said "okay, BC, line X!" that would be a wonderful and shocking surprise. On the other hand, if they asked my friend our resort and she said POR and then they had her tap her MB and would reply "uhhh are you sure? reservation says BC?" it would be incredibly awkward and anti-climatic.

I realize this is a completely inconsequential thing to think about, but I'm just curious what others' experience has been so I can manage my expectations. And perhaps come up with a back up plan if 99% of CMs ask for your resort before tapping your MB :) TIA for humoring my very silly question!!

My experience is that they have you tap your band and then verify with you verbally that you're going to whatever resort shows up on the screen.

Steve

Apologies, because I understand this may seem like a strange question: When you check in at DME, does the Cast Member usually ask you which resort you're staying at, or do they simply prompt you to tap your magic band, THEN verify resort by what comes up on the magic band and direct you to the correct lane?

I know this is totally inconsequential, but as a surprise, I upgraded my July trip from POR to BC and am keeping the upgrade secret from my travel companion until we get to DME. I thought if they simply asked you to tap your MB and then said "okay, BC, line X!" that would be a wonderful and shocking surprise. On the other hand, if they asked my friend our resort and she said POR and then they had her tap her MB and would reply "uhhh are you sure? reservation says BC?" it would be incredibly awkward and anti-climatic.

I realize this is a completely inconsequential thing to think about, but I'm just curious what others' experience has been so I can manage my expectations. And perhaps come up with a back up plan if 99% of CMs ask for your resort before tapping your MB :) TIA for humoring my very silly question!!

From what I remember when we used it last summer you went into the line for the resort you were going to. They had signs up telling you which line went where.

My experience is that they have you tap your band and then verify with you verbally that you're going to whatever resort shows up on the screen.

Steve

Thank you! That's what I thought from my last trip. (Have only taken DME once with MB and for the life of me am not positive I am remembering correctly!)

From what I remember when we used it last summer you went into the line for the resort you were going to. They had signs up telling you which line went where.

I know that definitely before you get in the right line, they scan your MB (just like they used to scan the DME packet from the time before ME) to ensure you have a DME reservation and to properly direct you. I just am not sure if they ask you your resort before scanning.

My experience is they have always scanned band then verified information before directing us to the proper line. What a lovely surprise!

My experience is they have always scanned band then verified information before directing us to the proper line. What a lovely surprise!

Good to know--this is what I'm hoping for!! Thank you!

Scan the band, they tell you what line to go to.

Yes, I know they scan the band, then tell you which line. I just wasn't sure if they asked your resort before scanning the band. :) Thanks!

Just to let you know, sometimes the ME band scanner doesn't update your resort properly.
Twice now, I have switched resorts SEVERAL MONTHS before the trip date, but when we went to tap our magic bands at the Magical Express, it showed the CM the wrong resort!
For example, I once had a POFQ reservation for October, and in July I changed it to Polynesian, and when they scanned the Magic bands it still said POFQ--even though our yellow luggage tags were properly labeled Poly.
Same with my most recent trip--was originally booked for Coronado, a few months before switched to AKL, got yellow AKL luggage tags...but when our bands were scanned at MCO the cast member said "Coronado!"

Just to let you know, sometimes the ME band scanner doesn't update your resort properly.
Twice now, I have switched resorts SEVERAL MONTHS before the trip date, but when we went to tap our magic bands at the Magical Express, it showed the CM the wrong resort!
For example, I once had a POFQ reservation for October, and in July I changed it to Polynesian, and when they scanned the Magic bands it still said POFQ--even though our yellow luggage tags were properly labeled Poly.
Same with my most recent trip--was originally booked for Coronado, a few months before switched to AKL, got yellow AKL luggage tags...but when our bands were scanned at MCO the cast member said "Coronado!"

Ack,well that would be terrible!!! Fingers crossed that doesn't happen! What a weird coincidence that happened to you twice!

Happened to me as well! Changed from Pop to PoR! Same reservation number, just a different resort. I had been told not to cross out the Pop on my luggage tags!! So, I didn't. But, they sat at Pop until close to midnight, even though we got to the DME checkin podium at 5:00pm!!! They scanned the band, pointed to the line for Pop! Told them no, we were at PoR. Had to go over to the desk, where it took them 15 mins to find the correct resort. They then said "good thing you don't have checked bags to be delivered!'. Oh, but we did. My dd and I had arrived in Tampa the day before, so had our bags with us. But her friend, who met us at MCO, had tagged her bag, per my instruction. Even though the DME CM 'said' they had fixed it in the system, that bag only got to us after at least 3 calls, after 10:00pm!!!!
They don't seem to take resort changes very well!!!! I would be prepared for there to be an issue!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter