People who grew up in or live in Southern states

My coworker has a video doorbell. Two weeks ago she was at her desk at work and her phone notified her that there was motion at home. She opened the app and could see a snake going up the side of her house over the camera. It filmed for almost 30 seconds. That would freak me out.

I had a snake problem for 20 years. When I finally had enough I divorced her.

We had Orkin come out and they are taking care of our rodent issues (attic and crawl space) they lined our crawl space with poly and put a dehumidifier down there to make it less hospitable to mice- they put a special insulation in our attic to keep insects out, therefore mice, in return snakes. I really love Virginia and I am determined to make this work.

I've lived in the south my whole life, & I used to have a huge, huge fear of snakes.

As I've gotten older, I've learned to appreciate the good snakes more, & I do like another PP & just try not to think about snakes but still stay semi-alert & keep my eyes open especially in "snaky" areas.

I don't mind the snakes if I can see them, but I'm scared to death of being suddenly surprised by a snake. We have a ledge at the top of our shower in our master bathroom &, if I think about it too closely before I get in, I'll convince myself there's a snake up there which will fall on my while shower. So, I'll have to get DH or one of the kids to physically check the ledge before I can get in the shower.

I will NOT go to the bathroom at night w/o first turning on the light because I'm afraid a snake will be in the toilet. Years ago, when we were vacationing in Florida, in one of the local papers, I read about a man who had found a snake in his toilet, & that was it for me. Now, just last week, a woman in TN, not far from where we live, found a garter snake in her toilet.

When I was younger & still living at my parents' house, my dad found a snake in the garage. I now imagine that ALL garages must have snakes lurking about, so I do NOTHING in our garage except get in & out of our cars & go in & out the back door into the house.

My mother-in-law told me about one of her friends finding a snake curled up in the corner of her closet, so I'm a little leery of reaching my hand into the dark corners of our closets too.

But most snakes really are harmless & are beneficial. One way I've tried to get over my fear a bit is to educate myself, &, when we visit places like zoos, I'll look at the snakes & read about them. There is a pair of red-tailed green rat snakes at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, FL, & I absolutely LOVE those 2 snakes. I've been visiting & watching them since they were juveniles, & they just fascinate me... they're so pretty!

My son had his 3rd birthday party at our local zoo, &, as part of the party package, the zookeepers had 3-4 animals that came to the party to "visit" w/ the children. One of the animals was a ball python, & I actually held it!

You do have to be careful of the venomous snakes. 2 years ago, our younger son's friend was bitten by a copperhead in his family's garden. He was bitten on his toe & was in the hospital for a day, but he's completely fine now.

I think some places are snakier than others. We live in a suburban neighborhood, &, while I've seen a couple of snakes here & there over the years, we're actually more overrun w/ deer.
You and I think a lot alike.

We live in Tennessee and have seen a few garden snakes but that's it. While camping we've come across much more, but usually stay clear of those.

I live in Texas. I once tried to overcome my fear of snakes by touching one at Rafiki’s Planet Watch.

Nope. It was cold to the touch and it only made it worse.

It’s the fact that they are usually camouflaged and that some are poisonous. I know they aren’t trying to sneak up on me, but it feels like they are.

I don’t even like to see snakeskin shoes, purses, or fabric prints. And I think Facebook needs a filter that blocks any photos of snakes 🙈.

But we have several kinds of lizards in our yard and I love them.

I’m a lot of help, aren’t I?

I live in Texas. I once tried to overcome my fear of snakes by touching one at Rafiki’s Planet Watch.

Nope. It was cold to the touch and it only made it worse.

It’s the fact that they are usually camouflaged and that some are poisonous. I know they aren’t trying to sneak up on me, but it feels like they are.

I don’t even like to see snakeskin shoes, purses, or fabric prints. And I think Facebook needs a filter that blocks any photos of snakes 🙈.

But we have several kinds of lizards in our yard and I love them.

I’m a lot of help, aren’t I?
I can relate to everything you said! LOL
I don't mind the lizards either.

This conversation came up pretty recently because when we were visiting the cemetery where my mom is buried in central Florida a few weeks ago, my husband and son saw a snake and didn't mention it to me at the time because they knew I would've freaked out. My son asked how me I grew up in FL (south FL) and didn't encounter snakes. I told him it's strange because I can count on one hand how many times I saw a snake growing up -- I was either lucky or oblivious. Must've been oblivious because I spent hours outside every single day as a kid.

I've also lived in GA and TN and don't really come across them -- once every few years.

With that said, I saw a national news story on TV a couple of weeks ago about VERY LARGE iguanas that are all over south Florida. I don't mean the little lizards, but HUGE iguanas.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/featur...0190621-zp6xczkqgjglta35fmslrukljy-story.html
Would love to know what the south Florida DISers think of this. Yikes!

I too live in the south, Louisiana to be exact I have had great suscess with a product call Snake Away which i believe is nothing more than pelleted sulfur the do like for some reason. But i can tell you that I have seen then avoid the areas where I have put this product out. Good luck i don't like them either. Not even the one from the jungle book.

We live in north Florida and our development is very wooded. Last weekend a friend of ours cat cornered a rattlesnake near their front porch. The cat kept hissing at it and my friend called a neighbor to come and kill it. I have personally only seen the harmless kind in our yard. C4ABB0F8-5877-4EE1-BC1E-94EF94BF4E34.jpeg

Well I would have gone inside and not come back out after seeing the rattlesnake. I live in Alabama and have seen numerous snakes over the years. At my house, near the river, in the river, on the mtn bike trails, etc. A year or so ago I was at a friends house and the neighbor came over and asked if we knew anything about snakes. My buddy grabbed a shovel and we went over. Inside the garage on the table next to the open car window was a copperhead and it was trying to get into the car. He knocked it into a boot next to the table and got it outside and chopped its head off. I was across the road. Last year at the TTC we were swapping from the resort monorail to the Epcot line and a snake went across the path. I am with Indiana Jones when it comes to snakes. I completely hate them.

I live in SW Mississippi and with us hardly having a decent cold winter, we're seeing them in December a day or 2 after we've had snow (which we hardly have). My husband killed a rattlesnake around Christmas when we had ice on the ground. They just aren't hibernating like they should down here. The most common poisonous ones we have are copperhead, cottenmouth and rattlesnake. I kill the chicken snakes, even though they aren't poisonous, because they eat our eggs and baby chicks. The king snakes, I leave alone.

9D1F2EB7-048A-4DA9-9D53-58E0020F7B98.jpeg
This is one my son and his crew walked all over at 3 am trying to get power restored in SE Mississippi at the end of March this year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!