People Scattering Ashes at Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know of anyone who has done it nor have I seen it done but I'm not surprised at all.
Unless you are a big HM fan, I can think of nicer places to do it though.

Its nothing new.
Thing is you gotta do it where the ashes aren't gonna just be vacuumed up and toss.
I don't want to be cremated but I told my sister if for some reason I do she should scatter them in bushes near COP my favorite attraction.
Or I'd be cool with bushes at POP.

Disney is on my list of places to have my ashes scattered... thought I'm not particular where. :rotfl2:

I knew one person who recorded the video of him dumping a friends ashes in the park. It was years ago and I have no idea if it was ever removed

Yeah, this is a thing. I sort of get why people want to do it but I really don't understand why they do it even knowing it is illegal. I mean I love Disney World as much as the next person but why on earth would you want your ashes scattered on a ride? That is just not ok.

Yeah, this is a thing. I sort of get why people want to do it but I really don't understand why they do it even knowing it is illegal. I mean I love Disney World as much as the next person but why on earth would you want your ashes scattered on a ride? That is just not ok.

In the end it's more for the loved ones left behind. A way to say goodbye, some closure.

I don't mind it, anything that helps someone process their grief is fine with me.

It's one thing to do a small amount and another to do them all. You never know what will happen when you go to scatter the ashes. My stepdad wanted his ashes spread along the freeway, he had been a truck driver and it made sense. My mom and I picked a spot along the many miles he was good with that were dark, less driven and had a rest area we could stop at to prepare. I drove and watched the mirrors until it was clear behind us. We had split it into 2 containers and the first worked great. However, the 2nd larger didn't. The ashed has clumped some and while we had been clear when she started because they got stuck and she had to shake it we had a car come up behind and then beside us that got sprayed with the ashes. I can only imagine what they thought it was. We laughed about it later because it is funny but it didn't go quite as expected.

It's one thing to do a small amount and another to do them all. You never know what will happen when you go to scatter the ashes. My stepdad wanted his ashes spread along the freeway, he had been a truck driver and it made sense. My mom and I picked a spot along the many miles he was good with that were dark, less driven and had a rest area we could stop at to prepare. I drove and watched the mirrors until it was clear behind us. We had split it into 2 containers and the first worked great. However, the 2nd larger didn't. The ashed has clumped some and while we had been clear when she started because they got stuck and she had to shake it we had a car come up behind and then beside us that got sprayed with the ashes. I can only imagine what they thought it was. We laughed about it later because it is funny but it didn't go quite as expected.

Honestly, I bet your stepdad was laughing too:goodvibes:littleangel:

IMO someone should be banned if caught disposing of human remains at WDW. Why should other visitors have to be exposed to remains?

I could maybe see allowing people to scatter ashes in Crescent Lake or World Showcase Lagoon something like that. Nobody is swimming in there at all. But a park attraction? Come on. That's not ok.

My uncle passed away in the mid 90's and he absolutely adored Disney World. He took his family every year. During that time Disney was selling the paver stones in front of the Magic Kingdom and we bought one for him. I recall my mom saying she wanted it to say "In Loving Memory of xxx" or something along those lines but Disney wouldn't do it saying they didn't want it to look like a cemetery with a bunch of stones saying "In Loving Memory" on them so we put "With Love" instead. I'm kind of thinking if they didn't want the paver stones to look like a cemetery they probably don't want the rides to be an actual cemetery.

Sorry, I don't want to be breathing in someone ashes while on vacation. That is not ok. Not sure why so many people are reporting it. I would hope that whoever dumps them is banned.

The ashes, no matter where they are scattered, get vacuumed up in a special vacuum and thrown out so your loved ones final resting place ends up in a landfill or an ashes vacuum and not in Disney like everyone expects. While I love Disney, if I don;t get to stay in Disney I'd rather be scattered elsewhere...

This is an ongoing problem in many places. Colleges, especially college football stadiums, have been dealing with the issue for years. With the increasing popularity of cremation, it's going to keep growing. Especially since people aren't real good at being considerate of others. The good news is that ashes are basically sterile. So there is almost no health risk, though I think we can all acknowledge that none of us really want to be breathing in airborne remains and that it's more than a bit unsettling, it's no worse in reality than walking through Fort Wilderness when people are having campfires.

Frankly, I'll be surprised if Disney doesn't capitalize on this in some way eventually. I can see them creating a spot where ashes can be laid to rest for a fee away from the parks and resorts where they promise not to vacuum them up. Some colleges have begun doing this. You'll never stop the people that are determined to be a pain, but giving a legitimate alternative may stop the casual unthinking person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter