Pelican Plunge water slides open early at Disney Cruise Line’s Castaway Cay

We just returned today from a 4 night and were in Castaway Cay on Tuesday, May 4th. The night before, we received a letter in our stateroom that Pelican Plunge would be open for limited times and various points in the day. BUT, we did not experience this. As much as we could tell, it was open all day! My kids (9 & 10) LOVED both slides! They rode, with basically no wait, at least half a dozen times in the morning (9:30ish), another half dozen times each abut noon and ANOTHER half dozen times each about 3. The longest wait (if you can even call it that) was the 3pm slot and it was maybe 3 minutes. The thing that struck me is that the waters to swim through to get there were 10-11 feet deep all day (I took pictures of the depth markers)! My kids are strong swimmers and there are guards all around, but I know that would deter me from letting my child try (even with a life jacket) if they were much younger or not swimmers. But, for us, it was awesome!

What about the rest of the upgrades? Do you think the cabana's might be done by the end of the month?

This is sort of "old news." Pelican Plunge opened a couple weeks before the EBTA, and that cruise was at Castaway on April 11!

No news on the other "enhancements."

the additional BBQ area and cabanas on both the family beach and adult beach seem mostly done. The contractors were putting final touches on them.

However Spring a Leak is weeks away from finishing.

thanks
any photos to share

:cool1: YEAH!!!!!! This looks awesome! I didn't even know about it, but now that I do...YEAH!! You can slide on it if you're an adult too right? It's so unfair when it's just for kids. But anyway....yeah!:yay:

This is sort of "old news." Pelican Plunge opened a couple weeks before the EBTA, and that cruise was at Castaway on April 11!

:thumbsup2 They were open on April 3rd when we were there, too. And I had read on here that they were even open before that.

BTW, my DD and DH had a fantastic time on those slides -- I don't know if it's because they are "off the beaten path" from the family beach, or if it's because nobody on board read the flyer they handed out with the Navigator that morning, but there were only about 3 families playing there on the slides. No waits!!!:yay:

Totally agree, we were there the end of March and it was open.

:thumbsup2 They were open on April 3rd when we were there, too. And I had read on here that they were even open before that.

BTW, my DD and DH had a fantastic time on those slides -- I don't know if it's because they are "off the beaten path" from the family beach, or if it's because nobody on board read the flyer they handed out with the Navigator that morning, but there were only about 3 families playing there on the slides. No waits!!!:yay:

It's because the water temperature was about 15' the day that we were there. It was so cold that my niece and nephew said "We'll just go play in the sand."

I'm not lying.

It's because the water temperature was about 15' the day that we were there. It was so cold that my niece and nephew said "We'll just go play in the sand."

I'm not lying.

:rotfl2: We found that the water felt brisk at first, but it was plenty warm to swim the day we were there. There were tons of kids in the water at the family beach, and lots of them playing on the older rope-thing, but the slides were barely being used!

To the PP who asked if the grown-ups can use the slide -- YES!!!:banana:

We got to play in the Pelican Plunge during our Transatlantic cruise a few week ago. All I have to say is very COOOOOL:thumbsup2
Both slides are very quick and fire you right out into the ocean. Can't to go back in august to play again
Its a must do for all ages

I just found this on the other boards:

My husband and I just got back from a 4 night cruise May 6th 2010. We attended the Captains Corner session and asked what was the cost for cabanas at Castaway Cay. The officer answering the question actually turned to the Captain and asked if he could share this info as the costs had just been finalized, but not announced. The Captain gave him the okay to share...$499 for the day. There will be 16 cabanas on the family beach and 4at Serenity Bay. He said they would hold up to 8 people and the refrigerator would be stocked with soft drinks. Seems a bit high to me. We have a 5 night cruise booked for May 28, 2011 on the Dream for me, my husband, mother and sister and had wanted to book a cabana but agreed this was just not a great use of that much discretionary income.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!