Peeps, restrooms & drunks. A hot, sweaty Asian TR-Pt.2 1/21-Under the sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jordan! I just discovered your amazing thread tonight. I will be leaving soon for my first WDW trip although we live in Southern Calif. Since you know both DL and WDW, I have a lot of questions for you, but hope it is okay to ask you:

1) I need to buy a souvie for one of my doctors who is a major Haunted Mansion fan. He has never been to WDW. Is there anything that is only sold at WDW that's not sold in DL?

2) We've only got three full days (4 nights) so I'm thinking day one - Epcot, day two AKL, day 3 HS. What are your favorite rides at WDW that you cannot get at DL?

Thank you, Jordan. Loved the photos, the tongue ones, the "getting back to your roots" and more.

:cheer2:

Hi Jordan! I just discovered your amazing thread tonight. I will be leaving soon for my first WDW trip although we live in Southern Calif. Since you know both DL and WDW, I have a lot of questions for you, but hope it is okay to ask you:

1) I need to buy a souvie for one of my doctors who is a major Haunted Mansion fan. He has never been to WDW. Is there anything that is only sold at WDW that's not sold in DL?

2) We've only got three full days (4 nights) so I'm thinking day one - Epcot, day two AKL, day 3 HS. What are your favorite rides at WDW that you cannot get at DL?

Thank you, Jordan. Loved the photos, the tongue ones, the "getting back to your roots" and more.

:cheer2:

WELCOME TO MY TR!!!!!

There are a few of us on the DIS from So Cal...Goofster, Disneyland Mama and myself....

1. Haunted Mansion is in Liberty Square/Frontierland at WDW. I've never personally seen WDW specific HM merchandise. That's not to say it doesn't exist. But I don't know where you'd find HM merchandise.....

2. If I only had 3 days at WDW......Hmmmm......

DHS can be a 1/2 day park:

Tower of Tower (better at WDW than DCA)
Rock N Rollercoaster
Toy Story Mania (only if you haven't done it at DCA, although the queue is better at WDW)

Shows: They're all pretty good. Beauty and the Beast, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Indy and Lights, Motor...it kind of depends who you are traveling with.

Great Movie Ride (dated but still okay)

So if I only had 4-5 hours...ToT, RocknRollerCoaster, Lights, Motor Action, Toy Story Mania...and then whatever else you could get in

Skip: Sounds Dangerous, Star Tours, Backlot Tour.

Animal Kingdom:

I love this park: Ride: Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl,

See either Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo...you may not have time to see both. They are both excellent.

If you can do the trails, do both.

You can skip: It's tough to be a bug (if you've done it at DCA) and the Conservation Station( although very educational, it's a time eater).

Epcot:

This is a day and 1/2 park: Test track is a must. Mission Space is you can handle the spinning.

I could go on and on. Let me know. I can devise a whole itinerary for you based on group size, where you're staying etc....

This is my updated (1/27) version: (because I don't think Jordan has read it yet). I think it's a pretty good plan now that Wendy convinced me that Cal Grill res was throwing everything off.

Ah, you are truly kind, thank you, Jordan!!
Waving hi to Goofster, Disneyland Mama. :wave2:

Okay, this will help trim things down. Going only with DH (no kids) and we both have bad backs and I'm sorry to say to you who loves these but we don't do thrill or rides like ferris wheels that deal with heights. At DL, we love the visual rides like HM, POC, and we don't do (gasp) Splash Mt, Space Mt, Matterhorn, those rockets. The wildest DL ride we do is Indiana Jones and that's pushing it. We can do rides like Star Tours (just to illustrate our level of comfort) and spinning teacups. I suspect we cannot do TOT but am not sure.

I doubt that test track and mission space are for us... ( can't even picture test track).

We love animals and Africa so AKL is the park I'm most excited about.

We're staying at Beach Club, water view (because it's had the rehab recently and close to Epcot). We'll be there Feb 9-Feb 13.

We arrive late, 9 PM, so I'm hoping we'll have a room with a fireworks view - thinking then we'll order room service and watch it?

Tuesday - Epcot (EMH), Coral Reef lunch ADR. Dinner at Marrakesh. (I know this is not the best day to visit Epcot but I am hoping the slow season will be in our favor)

Wed - AKL Tusker House lunch that gets us the Finding Nemo special entrance. It's late hour AKL but we'll leave for a 5:30 Jiko dinner. Taxi to Yacht club to be there 8 PM for special fireworks cruise for Illuminations.

Thurs - DHS. Lunch at SciFi as DH is a scifi freak. Leave 1/2 day for MK. I'm thinking Haunted Mansion (because it's my fav and I'm thinking there will be some differences in the WDW version), see Main street. Dinner Narcooses.

Fri - we leave :sad: around 10 AM

I did buy sponsor Mike's plan, well worth it but I wish I had bought it months earlier (but it is still helpful!).

I am so tickled you are looking over my plan because you know both parks (WDW and DL) so well. :hyper:
pixiedust:

Cali

WELCOME TO MY TR!!!!!

There are a few of us on the DIS from So Cal...Goofster, Disneyland Mama and myself....

1. Haunted Mansion is in Liberty Square/Frontierland at WDW. I've never personally seen WDW specific HM merchandise. That's not to say it doesn't exist. But I don't know where you'd find HM merchandise.....

2. If I only had 3 days at WDW......Hmmmm......

DHS can be a 1/2 day park:

Tower of Tower (better at WDW than DCA)
Rock N Rollercoaster
Toy Story Mania (only if you haven't done it at DCA, although the queue is better at WDW)

Shows: They're all pretty good. Beauty and the Beast, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Indy and Lights, Motor...it kind of depends who you are traveling with.

Great Movie Ride (dated but still okay)

So if I only had 4-5 hours...ToT, RocknRollerCoaster, Lights, Motor Action, Toy Story Mania...and then whatever else you could get in

Skip: Sounds Dangerous, Star Tours, Backlot Tour.

Animal Kingdom:

I love this park: Ride: Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl,

See either Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo...you may not have time to see both. They are both excellent.

If you can do the trails, do both.

You can skip: It's tough to be a bug (if you've done it at DCA) and the Conservation Station( although very educational, it's a time eater).

Epcot:

This is a day and 1/2 park: Test track is a must. Mission Space is you can handle the spinning.

I could go on and on. Let me know. I can devise a whole itinerary for you based on group size, where you're staying etc....

Okay, this will help trim things down. Going only with DH (no kids) and we both have bad backs and I'm sorry to say to you who loves these but we don't do thrill or rides like ferris wheels that deal with heights. At DL, we love the visual rides like HM, POC, and we don't do (gasp) Splash Mt, Space Mt, Matterhorn, those rockets. The wildest DL ride we do is Indiana Jones and that's pushing it. We can do rides like Star Tours (just to illustrate our level of comfort) and spinning teacups. I suspect we cannot do TOT but am not sure.

I doubt that test track and mission space are for us...

If you can do the teacups, you might be able to do M:S - it's technically only a very high-speed spinning ride (no jolting) but depends on how bad your backs are... they do probably have warnings on the ride, but you can also do the non-spinning version of the ride if you want to experience it...

Test track might be harder because it is much more jarring and whipping around in a real car. TOT is up-down, not back/forth jarring, but if you can't do the drop rides, then maybe forego this. Probably the same for Rock n' Roller Coaster.

Tuesday - Epcot (EMH), Coral Reef lunch ADR. Need to book a dinner

Wed - AKL Tusker House lunch that gets us the Finding Nemo special entrance. It's late hour AKL but I have a Cal Grille Dinner res at 5:50. Can't stay for Wishes though because have a special fireworks cruise for Illuminations. (will taxi to and from dinner) I know this is not a very efficient plan but it's how the reservations ended up.

Thurs - DHS. Lunch at SciFi as DH is a scifi freak. so if you think we can do this park in 1/2 day, we can go to MK for the other half day and stay through Wishes. I'm thinking Haunted Mansion (because it's my fav and I'm thinking there will be some differences in the WDW version), Phantasmic, see Main street and maybe Wishes (we don't have to though as DH not fond of standing, esp in crowds). Not sure where to eat (cal grille is full until very late).

Can you switch your Tusker House and SciFi ressies? Because it would be better if you were at DHS on Wednesday because 1) you won't be there that that long anyway, 2) it's quick to get to being at an Epcot resort and 3) since you have your CA Grill ressies that night, you can go directly from DHS to the Contemporary or take the monorail from the front of Epcot. In any case, it's less convenient to be coming from AK that day, especially seeing as you have the back issues, you might really enjoy more of AK since a lot of that park is just leisurely enjoyment of trails and shows. Not a lot of thrill rides or anything that you'd need to go on. It would be a shame for you to have to cut that day short just to get to CA Grill for dinner.

Also, Fantasmic is at DHS (not at MK like it is at Disneyland). And if you've seen it at DL, it's not nearly as good at DHS as it it here in CA. So unless you're really set on it, I would skip it there. It's in a theatre, which is not as cool as being on the Rivers of America like it is at DL.

Actually, now in looking at the EMH schedules, my suggestion would be this if you can swing it:

Tuesday: AK (see if you can get the Tusker House/Nemo ressies this day). Spend the majority of the day there since you like this park, and then spend some time in Epcot (World Showcase) in the evening (a very short walk since you're staying at the BCV).

Wednesday: Epcot (FW and WS) To see both sides of this park will take a fair amount of time. You'll be skipping some of the thrill rides in FW, but there's still a lot of stuff to see. I would spend the bulk of the day here, and then you can go to your CA Grill ressies @ the Contemporary. If you are not dressing up a lot, you can even take the monorail from Epcot (transfer at the TTC).

Thursday: MK in the morning (Early Magic Hours) and DHS in the evening (Evening Magic Hours). You can hit MK in the a.m., get the few things done you want to, and then head to DHS by lunch. You can make either lunch or dinner SciFi ressies if you can... it's late night hours there, so they're open until 10pm.

Just my two cents. Enjoy!!

Justmy 2 cents I alsocan't do thrill rdes butI didolerateTT . ToT and RnR are NO NO& No again!!I love Soarin' Now tis is a Gal wi is petrified of heights and sudden drops .Soarin s ust sooooo relxing !!

Wendy, I think I lost my first reply. I wanted to say thank you so much. What I've done is changed Cal Grill to Jiko's. It was crazy all that running around and I was really sad that we were not going to try Jiko's. I've been to Africa twice and I love this type of cuisine. We're not going to be very dressed up as we will stay in the park, but we will have long khakis or slacks and I usually pull out a scarf. It would be hard if it was the heat of summer but with the mild weather now (and in two weeks), I think we'll be fine.

I booked 5:30. Then we'll leave at 7:30 to get a cab to get us to the Yacht Club marina by 8.

On our last day (and I'll PM you details why I can't change the park days), it'll be dhs, then MK, then boat to GF for Narcooses. Will get there around 7:50, watch Wishes from outside, then have a drink and wait for our 8:45 res (unless I am able to get it earlier, which is what I wanted).

I didn't know there was a non-spinning option on mission space - so then we could do it.

Thanks to the poster who said TT was okay for her! Maybe we can handle that...

It was so nice of you to look at my plan. Oh - dh wants to know if they have the beignets at WDW like they do in NO Square at DL?

:goodvibes

If you can do the teacups, you might be able to do M:S - it's technically only a very high-speed spinning ride (no jolting) but depends on how bad your backs are... they do probably have warnings on the ride, but you can also do the non-spinning version of the ride if you want to experience it...

Test track might be harder because it is much more jarring and whipping around in a real car. TOT is up-down, not back/forth jarring, but if you can't do the drop rides, then maybe forego this. Probably the same for Rock n' Roller Coaster.

Can you switch your Tusker House and SciFi ressies? Because it would be better if you were at DHS on Wednesday because 1) you won't be there that that long anyway, 2) it's quick to get to being at an Epcot resort and 3) since you have your CA Grill ressies that night, you can go directly from DHS to the Contemporary or take the monorail from the front of Epcot. In any case, it's less convenient to be coming from AK that day, especially seeing as you have the back issues, you might really enjoy more of AK since a lot of that park is just leisurely enjoyment of trails and shows. Not a lot of thrill rides or anything that you'd need to go on. It would be a shame for you to have to cut that day short just to get to CA Grill for dinner.

Also, Fantasmic is at DHS (not at MK like it is at Disneyland). And if you've seen it at DL, it's not nearly as good at DHS as it it here in CA. So unless you're really set on it, I would skip it there. It's in a theatre, which is not as cool as being on the Rivers of America like it is at DL.

Actually, now in looking at the EMH schedules, my suggestion would be this if you can swing it:

Tuesday: AK (see if you can get the Tusker House/Nemo ressies this day). Spend the majority of the day there since you like this park, and then spend some time in Epcot (World Showcase) in the evening (a very short walk since you're staying at the BCV).

Wednesday: Epcot (FW and WS) To see both sides of this park will take a fair amount of time. You'll be skipping some of the thrill rides in FW, but there's still a lot of stuff to see. I would spend the bulk of the day here, and then you can go to your CA Grill ressies @ the Contemporary. If you are not dressing up a lot, you can even take the monorail from Epcot (transfer at the TTC).

Thursday: MK in the morning (Early Magic Hours) and DHS in the evening (Evening Magic Hours). You can hit MK in the a.m., get the few things done you want to, and then head to DHS by lunch. You can make either lunch or dinner SciFi ressies if you can... it's late night hours there, so they're open until 10pm.

Just my two cents. Enjoy!!

all caught up

great update and pics as usual.

sad your alone now but I am sure you make the best of it.

Hope you have a great trip to China.

Wendy, I think I lost my first reply. I wanted to say thank you so much. What I've done is changed Cal Grill to Jiko's. It was crazy all that running around and I was really sad that we were not going to try Jiko's. I've been to Africa twice and I love this type of cuisine. We're not going to be very dressed up as we will stay in the park, but we will have long khakis or slacks and I usually pull out a scarf. It would be hard if it was the heat of summer but with the mild weather now (and in two weeks), I think we'll be fine. I booked 5:30. Then we'll leave at 7:30 to get a cab to get us to the Yacht Club marina by 8.

On our last day (and I'll PM you details why I can't change the park days), it'll be dhs, then MK, then boat to GF for Narcooses. Will get there around 7:50, watch Wishes from outside, then have a drink and wait for our 8:45 res (unless I am able to get it earlier, which is what I wanted).

It was so nice of you to look at my plan. Oh - dh wants to know if they have the beignets at WDW like they do in NO Square at DL?

:goodvibes

The new plan sounds good. The only thing is that allowing only one day at Epcot will limit you on all you can accomplish. There are so many great things there - especially for you if you like the more scenic, sit-down attractions vs. thrill rides. However, with those type of attractions, they tend to take longer and you have to time it right (for things like "show" attractions). Often we are right by a pavillion and realize the next show is 30 minutes away... so then you have to decide whether to stay there and see the show, or go do something else and come back, but then you might miss the next show... oh, the dilemma. However, since you have late ressies at Narcoosee's you *potentially* could squeeze in a little Epcot (WS perhaps) in between DHS and MK (see my notes below). It’s a lot to fit in, but hey, that’s what you get for only being there for three days. Shame on you (ha ha ha ha ha). But, since it’s your first time I’ll give you that. You will soon learn that, even for “veterans” like us, we stay a minimum of 8 days so we’re not running around like crazy people.

Oh, and I think they only place they have beignets are at Port Orleans resort… not in the parks.

So here’s my comments on the new plan - if it looks ok, then I'll throw in some additional comments re: what attractions I would suggest:

Tuesday - Epcot (EMH), Coral Reef lunch ADR. Dinner at Marrakesh. So you should hit FW first thing and then make your way back to WS since that will coincide with your ressies. I would try to get all your FW stuff in first, and then you can get a few more WS things in on Thursday between parks if you so choose.

Wed – Animal Kingdom (AK) - Tusker House lunch that gets us the Finding Nemo special entrance. It's late hour AKL but we'll leave for a 5:30 Jiko dinner. Taxi to Yacht club to be there 8 PM for special fireworks cruise for Illuminations.

Thurs - DHS. Lunch at SciFi (what time is your lunch?). Get there at opening and then maybe leave after lunch. I would take the ferry over to Epcot (it’ll drop you in the back at World Showcase). Spend some time there and then you can head to MK to go on Haunted Mansion and do some things they don’t have at DL. Then head to dinner at Narcoosees. Or, you can skip Epcot if you feel like you’ve seen enough. We really like Epcot so that’s why we usually spend several days there, but you have to pick and choose for yourself…

Fun fun...

Hi all.

Just an update, Jordan arrived safe and sound in Beijing a few hours ago. :cheer2:

He called me from the airport on his cell phone (gotta love technology!! :thumbsup2 ) and was getting ready to go through immigration.

I don't think he'll be posting during his trip unless he has ready access to a computer so I'm not sure...

Just wanted to let you all know... I'm sure he'll be back online after his trip.

Thanks!
wendy

Hi all.

Just an update, Jordan arrived safe and sound in Beijing a few hours ago. :cheer2:

He called me from the airport on his cell phone (gotta love technology!! :thumbsup2 ) and was getting ready to go through immigration.

I don't think he'll be posting during his trip unless he has ready access to a computer so I'm not sure...

Just wanted to let you all know... I'm sure he'll be back online after his trip.

Thanks!
wendy

Thanks for letting us know Wendy!!:wave2:

wow.....i didn't even know he had left yet. :rotfl: thanks for letting us know, wendy! glad he's there safe. i can't wait to hear all about his trip.

Wendy, you are really kind to help me out since Jordan left. I hope he has a wonderful trip.

It is our big mistake that we only allowed ourselves 3 days, 4 nights. My DH still cannot imagine spending a week there, even though he loves Disneyland.

Lunch at Sci Fi is at 11.
What else is at MK that is not at DL that we would like? We walk to walk around and see the differences. But I hear you, we may like Epcot a lot and want to see more - so your idea of where to do that is very interesting.

(I am sorry this is messing up Jordan's thread since he isn't here now - should we move this to PM? - or maybe it can help others if it's here...)

I only have two more days to talk to you here and get this straightened out as we are traveling first. Really appreciate it! :upsidedow

Cali

The new plan sounds good. The only thing is that allowing only one day at Epcot will limit you on all you can accomplish. There are so many great things there - especially for you if you like the more scenic, sit-down attractions vs. thrill rides. However, with those type of attractions, they tend to take longer and you have to time it right (for things like "show" attractions). Often we are right by a pavillion and realize the next show is 30 minutes away... so then you have to decide whether to stay there and see the show, or go do something else and come back, but then you might miss the next show... oh, the dilemma. However, since you have late ressies at Narcoosee's you *potentially* could squeeze in a little Epcot (WS perhaps) in between DHS and MK (see my notes below). It’s a lot to fit in, but hey, that’s what you get for only being there for three days. Shame on you (ha ha ha ha ha). But, since it’s your first time I’ll give you that. You will soon learn that, even for “veterans” like us, we stay a minimum of 8 days so we’re not running around like crazy people.

Oh, and I think they only place they have beignets are at Port Orleans resort… not in the parks.

So here’s my comments on the new plan - if it looks ok, then I'll throw in some additional comments re: what attractions I would suggest:

Tuesday - Epcot (EMH), Coral Reef lunch ADR. Dinner at Marrakesh. So you should hit FW first thing and then make your way back to WS since that will coincide with your ressies. I would try to get all your FW stuff in first, and then you can get a few more WS things in on Thursday between parks if you so choose.

Wed – Animal Kingdom (AK) - Tusker House lunch that gets us the Finding Nemo special entrance. It's late hour AKL but we'll leave for a 5:30 Jiko dinner. Taxi to Yacht club to be there 8 PM for special fireworks cruise for Illuminations.

Thurs - DHS. Lunch at SciFi (what time is your lunch?). Get there at opening and then maybe leave after lunch. I would take the ferry over to Epcot (it’ll drop you in the back at World Showcase). Spend some time there and then you can head to MK to go on Haunted Mansion and do some things they don’t have at DL. Then head to dinner at Narcoosees. Or, you can skip Epcot if you feel like you’ve seen enough. We really like Epcot so that’s why we usually spend several days there, but you have to pick and choose for yourself…

Fun fun...

Jordan must have been busy leading up to his trip - I thought we'd at least get a goodbye status on Facebook. :rotfl:

Thanks for letting us know Wendy. :thumbsup2

Hope you have a fabulous time Jordan!! :hug:

Just had to post the pic my DH took when I met Jordan last Friday at DLR! We had a wonderful talking and walking around the World of Disney at DTD.

jordan.jpg

Hey Wendy you should start your own thread on the community board since this one will be closed out soon (250 pages)...so we can all at least keep in touch with you and have a place for Jordan to find us all when hes back....

Hey Wendy you should start your own thread on the community board since this one will be closed out soon (250 pages)...so we can all at least keep in touch with you and have a place for Jordan to find us all when hes back....

Ok, I don't know how to create that hyperlink that Jordan does to take you to the next TR thread, but I started one (same title but pt 3) and here's the link below... Let me know if you know how to do the other type of link or if this doesn't work...

Click here for Part 3 of the never ending peeps TR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter