Peebee's mini trip report, 2004

Peebee

Disney Dad
Hi everyone,

Been back a few days now and pretty much over the jet lag. The nice weather has made the transition back to the UK a little easier, although we're missing the late afternoons by the pool and here in Surrey the fireworks are few and far between at this time of year :D

Didn't really take enough notes this time for a full-blown trip report, but here are some highs (and a couple of lows) from the holiday.

Best bits
We flew 'Cosmic Girl' to Orlando, with the new V-port entertainment system on-board. Wow, what a difference from the standard 8 or so channels normally provided. 50+ films, as well as some games and other programming. Best bit was the ability to pause what you were watching at any time to feed DS or nip to the toilet. Back to normal on the return flight, but can't wait until the V-port is standard across the fleet.

We had an Illuminations cruise which was magical. We shared ours with a family from New York from the US part of the boards and had a great time, sailing down to MGM before parking up underneath the bridge at Epcot to get a completely uninterrupted view of the show. It was a complete suprise to my mum, who was quite speechless afterwards - the only other thing to do this over the entire holiday was Catastrophe Canyon at the Studios when the rain poured down!

Both DS and DW celebrated birthdays during the trip. Got birthday pins for each and received loads of best wishes around the parks and resorts. On Ryan's 1st we went to the Crystal Palace where they brought out a small cake with a single candle, and the characters made a major fuss of him - lovely. On DW's birthday we did a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe - cue birthday muffin, everyone singing happy birthday, and a very embarrassed Helen :blush: In the evening we went to Le Cellier where the server gave us dessert on the house, with DW Creme Brulee arriving on a special plate with chocolate icing wishing her many happy returns. WDW is the absolute best place to have a birthday, isn't it?

By sheer luck we managed to run into Sam's wedding as we headed out of the Cape May Cafe. She looked completely amazing, and I feel very priviledged to have shared just a tiny moment of her big day.

The Flower and Garden festival at Epcot was as spectacular as ever. My mum is a keen gardener, and she was blown away by the variety the organisers manage to come up with. Epcot is always a rich source of colour, but especially so at this time of year.

Finally managed to visit Trail's End at FW and the petting zoo next door, and will be sure to return on future trips when Ryan is a little older. The buffet at Trail's End is superb value for Disney - about $10 each for lunch including drinks I think, and not busy at all. A real hidden treat.

Ryan is starting to recognise more of the characters and develop favourites. Bear at the Studios, plus Tigger, Minnie and Dopey all seem to get a reaction. We got a picture of him with Dopey at MK

ryananddopey.jpg

Dopey was so taken with how his tiny 'double' that after the picture was taken he took Ryan and Helen off to the next character along (Rafiki) to show him!!

Negatives
Only a couple of these. First was down to us staying in rooms 4073/4075 at the Boardwalk. Due to the first 3 digits of the room number matching the area code for Orlando we got quite a few mis-dialed calls. A little annoying, but not a major issue. Worth bearing in mind if you are ever allocated a room number starting 407 though.

Worst bit was the check-in on the last day at Downtown Disney. The computer system had gone down and the queue at 10.30 was horrendous, mostly snaking back around Cirque directly in the hot sun. Unfortunately the staff weren't particularly good at informing everyone what was going on, and when they eventually did provide some info it was to say we were unlikely to reach the front of the queue by the time check-in closed. We gave up and checked-in at the airport, but the queues there were almost as bad.

Lastly, Dollar. We never have any problems with car pick-up, but the return always seems to be a nightmare. Virgin customers are meant to receive two extra hours rental, but the operations staff in the garage invariably overcharge for this so you have to contact Dollar later to get it refunded. We also refueled the car as normal rather than pay $2.49 per gallon and were charged for a full tank anyway. My contact at Dollar has sorted things out now and the refund and compensation means the car cost us virtually nothing, so the hassle may have been worth it in the end.

Summary
Overall a great holiday, and we're already homesick for the Boardwalk, so have decided to do the whole thing again in 11 months, minus my mum, but plus our new arrival due in December. We're probably mad to do WDW with two under-twos, but you only live once ;)

Thanks for reading,
Paul

Sounds like a great trip - what a realy nice pic!!
WDW with 2 under twos??? We did it - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!!!::yes::

Cath:)

Paul

Sounds like you had a fab time :) Great piccie anymore to share. What a great way for Ryan to spend his 1st Birthday.

Thanks everyone - feel much better now I have a countdown again, even if it is over 300 days away :D

Cheers for the boost about coping with a couple of youngsters Cath. With a bit of luck Ryan will continue to be a relaxed traveller, and can teach his sibling this good habit!

Still sorting through the rest of the piccies at the moment Kaylee, but will hopefully have a few more by the weekend.

Paul

Sounds like you had a brilliant time:Pinkbounc anymore pics:bounce:

Here's a few of the photos we took compressed down a little for the web. Apologies if they take a look time to download for you.

pic1.jpg

Ryan on the massive sofa at the Boardwalk

pic2.jpg

Testing Goofy's whiskers

pic3.jpg

Helen's birthday at Cafe May Cafe

pic4.jpg

Ryan and Dopey (Ryan's on the left)

pic5.jpg

A long day at the Magic Kingdom

pic6.jpg

Chilling out at Fort Wilderness

pic7.jpg

Albino peacock at Fort Wilderness

pic8.jpg

Helen's birthday dessert at Le Cellier

pic9.jpg

New double act - Chip 'n' Ryan

pic10.jpg

In front of the 'golf ball' as my mum calls it

pic18.jpg

Magical moments parade

pic11.jpg

Synchronised jumping to be considered as new Olympic event

pic12.jpg

Our home resort of the Boardwalk - the stretch limo in the piccie isn't ours :-(

pic13.jpg

Mum and baby elephant at Animal Kingdom

pic14.jpg

Guess who!

pic15.jpg

Just before Ryan grabbed Minnie's nose

pic16.jpg

Getting lots of attention at the MGM parade

pic17.jpg

Practising walking at the MK baby care centre

pic20.jpg

Ryan with his cards and some pressies

pic23.jpg

Lion king topiary at Epcot

Paul

Paul,
Your trip report was fun to read. Loved all the pictures. Ryan is so cute, but must point out that you and Helen have set a dangerous precedent having a child that looks so very much like everybody's favorite Dwarf. The pressure is on now for six more little Dwarves!
Best luck with the new baby. Whether or not there's a Disney resemblance, with you as Dad I'm betting he or she will be a real character all the same.

Susan
Tulsa, Oklahoma

How did I miss these lovely piccies.

Ryan looks gorgeous..gosh how he has grown!! Helen's bithday treats look wonderful :)

Wonderful piccies! :)

It sounds as though you had a really magical time.

Aw, thanks everyone for the lovely comments.

We had the first scan for the new baby a couple of days ago but it's a little too early to see if we have another lookalike on our hands ;)

One suggestion for everyone - if you are ever at WDW on your birthday make sure you get a button to let everyone know about it. Most people know that you can get them from the MK, but there is also an Epcot version that has 'Happy Birthday' in all the languages spoken around World Showcase. Helen must have had 40 or 50 people wish her many happy returns that day!

Oh, one other thing I forgot - we wandered into the garden in the UK on our way to dinner that night just as the British Invasion were singing 'Birthday' and Helen got even more attention!!

Paul

Thanks for sharing your holiday with us. Sounds like you had a great time. Lucky you having another countdown to look forward to!!!! Wish we had one. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hoping to get back "home" to BCV in 2006 - may take a trip to DLP in the meantime.

:wave:

Your photo's are great,i like the one with Ryan and Dopey and the 'long day at MK' one.LOL
It makes me all excited when i see other peoples photo's of the World,i can't wait!!!

Congratulations on the baby news,hope everything goes well for you:D

:earsgirl:

Aw, thanks Sharon, that's really nice of you.

The 'long day at MK' picture is probably my favourite of all. My mum hadn't seen it until a couple of days ago and wasn't exactly thrilled at being snapped like that :D (I guess we won't mention the video we took of her snoring away in the rocking chair...:p)

You must be so excited about your first trip - hope it is a magical one for you. :wizard:

Paul

Sounds like a great trip. The pictures are brilliant, Ryan is such a cutie he looks like a real happy little chappie. Congratulations too on the forthcoming event.

Annmarie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter