Pearl Harbor Themed Millionaire Show

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
THE publicity hoopla over Disney's upcoming wartime drama "Pearl Harbor" has reached all the way to the U.S. Senate, where an ethics committee has nixed a plan to put several war veteran politicians on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." Stars from the film, including Ben Affleck, were in talks to appear as contestants on the hit game show, which airs on Disney-owned ABC.

Proceeds from the "Millionaire" guest spots would have gone to the World War II Memorial fund.

The show was supposed to have taped over the weekend and aired the final weekend of May sweeps. Instead, "Millionaire's" producers have been forced to scuttle the special edition.

Unfortunately for the would-be congressional contestants, the ethics panel say that Senate rules prohibit members from receiving fees exceeding $2,000, even if the money is going to a charitable cause.

The "Millionaire" idea is said to have been hatched by Walt Disney Co. chairman Michael Eisner and former Republican Sen. Bob Dole, who is moonlighting these days as a consultant/lobbyist for various Hollywood interests.

Lawmakers tentatively slated to appear on the show included Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Sen. John Warner (R-Va.).

Dole also was on the list.

The Wonderful World Of Color!

The Wonderful World of Disney!

The Wonderful World of Synergy!!!

Ain’t it great?!;) It's the Ei$ner way!!

Landbaron.. This time you completely lost me. Millionaire is a game show not a theme park. What is wrong with having some Vets on the show to advertise the upcoming movie.

This is removed by what is going on with the parks. It is sound business sense to generate interest in a TV game show. There is Celebrity Millionaire, Celebrity Jeperdy(sp!). etc.

Lets live the Eisner bashing where it belongs - theme parks. At least here you have a chance to change minds.

My point was not to bash Ei$ner for the sake of bashing (but it is fun). It was to point out a MAJOR flaw in his management philosophy. Synergy can be a wonderful thing. But in order for it to really work well, it should come as natural as possible. Forcing synergy EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU HAVE A CHANCE, merely cheapen the serendipity of naturally occuring synergy through intelligent business choices. And it cheapens the brand. Only my opinion, for what it's worth. Maybe it was a poor example.

At least here you have a chance to change minds.
Hmmm. That's not what you would have said when we first met!! ;) Could it be I'm gaining some ground?:D

Hmmm. That's not what you would have said when we first met. Could it be I'm gaining some ground?

Gaining ground...You have no credibility here Landlubber...Look at who you call your friends, A Pirate, A Duck and a guy who doesn't use his own voice...Those are some hot credentials!

Eisner has got to stimulate ABC in any manner possible. As Duck said, it isn't the Parks, theres no Magic to complain about...I think you're just worried that it might be a good marketing move!

OK, gotta go...I'm porting in Bora Bora heading for Pango Pango. Got a hot date with a local tomoato in her Winnebago...aarrghhhhhhhh.

:smooth: :smooth: :pinkbounc :smooth: :smooth:

Too bad it didn't go through. That would have been a great money/publicity maker for the WWII memorial fund. Laws are laws, though.

The Senate Ethics Committee nixed the idea of the Congressmen on the show. Disney may still try a version with other retirees from the military, but the clock’s ticking. The bigger issue, aside from synergy, is how far someone wants to go to promote a movie. The attack on Pearl Harbor was one of, if not THE, pivotal events for the United States in the twentieth century – and you can sense a growing uneasiness about turning it into an action/adventure/romance movie. There have been a lot of “Hollywood vs. History” articles even beyond the Newsweek cover story. Rumors says that Burbank is getting sensitive about over-hyping the movie and starting a backlash. And Disney is getting to know A LOT about backlashes these days.

I dont think the legacy of what happened at Pearl harbor should be used as a way to promote a tv show thats rating have been going dwon, whats next a show with holocust survivors. And then having ben affleck on the show who's only knowledge of the war is making a movie yet this election he didnt even take time to vote after going on all types of tv shows telling people how to vote and who to vote for. I didnt see this type of bs when Saving Private Ryan was released by Dreamworks. They didnt try to prop up tv shows and acted in a more respectful manner to the veternans IMHO.

Let's see War Movies have never been hyped before, including those about Pearl Harbor. So I guess, From Here to Eternity doesn't count (although there was a big to-do about Burt Lancaster and the beach and the waves, etc.). Also, The Longest Day with its big billboard showing a helmut.

This kind of stuff has been done in the past just that TV (ie. game shows; talk shows, ad naseum) was not was wide spread.

Now its Eisner doing it so it must be bad synergy. But when John Wayne did it, it was patriotic.

I don't know that milloinare was the best synergy, as for advertising in general, its just another example of a country that's forgotten what that War meant. Nowaday's we're more concerned with apologizing then we are with remembering why. And certainly WWII has had more then its share of films, documentary, aAction adventure, Comedy written with it as the background. I suspect that all of this will die down when the movie is released.

P.S. Winds of War, War and rememberance, I seem to recall love stories playing over the top of tragedy very well.A few misguided loudmouths and overzealous synergy (Walt was god of synergy IMHO) won't change much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter