Pearl Activity in World Showcase?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Brenda Wood, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Brenda Wood

Brenda Wood Earning My Ears

I will be in WDW in 2 weeks with my husband and 2 girls ages 6 and 2. Today 2 people asked me if we were making pearl jewelry in Epcot. What is this all about? Is it worth doing?

mom2rose&john likes this.
  2. TikiBabe

TikiBabe 'ohana

It happens in the store in the Japan Pavilion. It's a really cool experience, kids would love it.

Liz Z and Brenda Wood like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Marc D

Marc D DIS Veteran

You pick an oyster in a bassin. They open it after doing a small ceremony. It’s pretty fun! You do not have to buy jewelry if you do not want to set it. You can just buy the pearl.

5. CrazyHare

CrazyHare Waiting for our next trip...

I bought pearl cages before we went. There are sellers on eBay and Etsy. It was much cheaper that way.

EsseG, kaybird and Brenda Wood like this.
  6. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

The cost for just the pearl is about $17 each.

7. BMAEC

BMAEC Mouseketeer

We did this in November. It was $18 per oyster. My girls were 2, 4, and 6. They each picked one and I did as well. Before our trip I bought these gorgeous Cinderella coach cage necklaces on Etsy (so much less expensive than buying there) so after we got our pearls I showed them the necklaces. They love that they match me and ask to wear their necklaces all the time. The oyster opening ceremony is really cute for the kids too! Definitely recommend!

kaybird, Brenda Wood and pitpat like this.
  8. Brenda Wood

Brenda Wood Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! I think we will give it a try. Etsy here I come!!

TikiBabe likes this.
  9. amcnj

amcnj DIS Veteran

There are other locations, but the Japan Pavilion ceremony is a little more involved. My daughter started doing this when she was young, and still looks forward to it decades later!

10. Bama Mom

Bama Mom Disney Dreamer

My daughter and I did this back in 2008. We just got the pearls, not any jewelry. I have saved those pearls and planned to put hers in a Cinderella carriage for when she gets married. She was 10 when we picked the pearls. She is now 21 and got engaged on December 23rd and is getting married November 1st of this year. It's time for me to order the carriage cage for her pearl now. It can count as her "something old" :)

11. kiramay

kiramay DIS Veteran

I’ve done it multiple times. I think I have 9-10 pearls now. I had one set in a ring (setting was around $150-200) and I’m saving the rest to be strung together after our next trip.

Attached Files:

12. poooh

poooh Mouseketeer

This is so incredibly sweet :sad:Congrats to you both.

13. Bama Mom

Bama Mom Disney Dreamer

Thanks. I a, hoping to pick a pearl when I'm there in September and if I get one close to the size of my other one, I'd like to have her some earrings made as well. My oldest son is actually getting married a week from today so I'll have two getting married the year hubby and I celebrate our 25th anniversary.

14. WEDWDW

WEDWDW DIS Veteran

The Ceremony in Japan is even better since the remodel with the overhead camera,etc.:)

15. mom2rose&john

mom2rose&john DIS Veteran

My kids each picked a pearl and I had it set into a ring at the pavilion years ago when they were 5 and 6 yrs old. It is one of my most treasured souveniers and recommend it to everyone that visits Disney World. We are going in July and would love to do this again since it will be one of the last vacations to Disney while they are still under 18 yrs old. If you do visit the pavillion could you price out the double pearl ring? I would be very grateful, Thanks.

16. jo-jo

jo-jo DIS Veteran

We did it with our four grand daughters a year ago. It was cute but it was a little disappointing that they did all four at once. I would have rather each girl had their own little ceremony. I didn't expect it to be done that way.

17. JayDubs

JayDubs Starting to Drink the Star Wars Kool Aid...

I watched someone pick a peal in Japan just last week. It was a lot of fun to watch!

18. phins_jazy

phins_jazy Halloween on the High Seas

pick a pearl is awesome. all of my girls did it the last time we were there. i plan on doing it again in October. ;)

19. tnolan

tnolan DIS Veteran

I really liked it when I did it. I got 2 pearls and a set of cage-type earrings for about $72