Paying W/O Pin Request

DVC92

DIS Veteran
As a frequent DVC guest, I have a problem that occurred during my recent July visit. When paying my bill at many sit-down restaurants, the server asked for my magic band which he took away from the table to process my bill. A receipt was returned. The problem I have with this is that I did not have to enter my pin number. Therefore, the procedure isn't secure. All my charges were accurate; however, the bill should not be processed without my pin. This only happened at table service restaurants. Hopefully, such practice will not continue in the future.

As a frequent DVC guest, I have a problem that occurred during my recent July visit. When paying my bill at many sit-down restaurants, the server asked for my magic band which he took away from the table to process my bill. A receipt was returned. The problem I have with this is that I did not have to enter my pin number. Therefore, the procedure isn't secure. All my charges were accurate; however, the bill should not be processed without my pin. This only happened at table service restaurants. Hopefully, such practice will not continue in the future.

I have never had them ask to take my MB. They always brought a small handheld scanner to do it at the table. That would have made me uncomfortable.

Being you are given a receipt with what you are charged this would be no different than paying with a credit card direct but more secure being no one has access to your real credit card number. Most credit cards these days also have tap and pay all have chips so your credit card never has to leave your hands. I will make this short… the whole idea behind the chip and tap systems are for that reason… we are one step away from it being a straight out violation for a merchant to touch your credit card. A PIN number is not a law at this point, Disney does it for ease of the customer only controlling who can make a charge on their reservation. If one were to dispute a charge these days it is a 99% chance they will win no questions asked. The 1% is for large purchases where an investigation will take place and the merchant will fight it if they have reasonable proof it is s a legitimate charge.

As others have said, the normal process with a credit card is the same - somebody carries it out of your sight, processes the card and brings the receipt back for you to sign. This is how the restaurants have always handled charges with MBs to my memory, though it has been a while. The signature is the "added security". At point of sale terminals in shops and counter service where they don't have you sign for things is where we would use our pin.

That said, I really don't see the advantage over just using my card (unless on dining plan - then it's nice to use one thing for the whole transaction). We actually experienced one disadvantage. I have a card where I get 1 point for every dollar spent but get 2 points at any food establishment (restaurant, fast food, grocery stores). A few years ago we used our MBs to pay for everything. Since the charges showed up as WDW instead of the individual restaurants we only got 1 point per dollar for a whole lot of meals. And that was the last time we did that. :)

I have never had to turn over my magic band in order to pay. Agree that this is odd and not the norm. I wouldn’t have been comfortable and would have likely asked for the scanner to be brought table side or at least asked why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!