Paying "Out of Pocket" for Dinner

KathyTbell

Mouseketeer
We will be paying out-of-pocket for two dinners during our stay (because of signature dining using 2 TS credits elsewhere). We were thinking about eating at Via Napoli one night and splitting a pizza. Would 1 pizza work for 3 people. Are there also good options for a non-pizza eater, too?

Any other thoughts on a good restaurant (good value/good food) we could try for an out-of-pocket meal?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a small appetite and I think 1 individual pizza for 3 people would be pushing it...and I get turned off by big portions. Now if everyone has a salad beforehand, it'd be fine, but not sure that's what you're considering if its a money thing.

I agree - we are just two adults and split a large pizza. We had two pieces leftover. The pizza looks big but it's very thin so the size may be deceiving. You could probably swing it if you add an appetizer, like PP mentioned.

We also find places with burgers to be inexpensive to pay OOP for as well - Sci Fi Dine In, Beaches & Cream, etc. Also, some restaurants at Disney Springs don't take DDP so that may be another place where you pay OOP as well.

Good tips. I thought the pizzas looked large but if it's a thin crust, it may not work for three people.

Good tips. I thought the pizzas looked large but if it's a thin crust, it may not work for three people.

Their individual pizzas are a good size to split between two but agree not big enough for 3. However, we found their large pizza to be huge compared to our large pizzas at home. DH & I barely made a dent in the large - was way too much for the two of us and we love pizza! Granted we had an app and split a pitcher of beer but.... I would think if you split an app., I think you'd be fine to split a large pizza between 3 people...JMHO.

Just get this:

Arancini - fried risotto balls filled with mozzarella & meat ragù - $11.00
Calamari Fritti - corn-crusted rings served with spicy tomato sauce - $14.00

and then a pizza :)

Ok seriously though, those appetizers are to die for.

It must have been the large pizza I saw pictured! That might work after all. A pitcher of beer or glasses of wine wouldn't hurt either!

Somnia, you just named two of my favorite apps! Yum! Okay - large pizza, Arancini, Calamari Fritti, glasses of wine (or beer)... This is shaping up!
Of course, I still need to make sure my DH will like something on the menu. I'm off to take a look.

If you're going for a large pizza and apps, that seems like tons of food! Enjoy, I've never had a bad meal there, just wish it wasn't so loud/noisy, still a good time!

I agree the regular pizza is probably not enough for 3. The largest pizza is probably too much. You may want to order two smaller pizzas or a pizza and apps. They do have options for non pizza people. I agree the Arancini is so yummy.

If you are paying out of pocket for two meals, you might consider paying for one of the signature meals instead of two other meals. Typically, two credits at a signature isn't as good of a value as two separate meals. That isn't always the case it depends on where and what meal you are eating ie (breakfasts are typically cheapest and dinner is usually the most expensive).

Last edited:
There's individual size, large size, and then there's a really big one. As I mention above, DH and I split the large pizza with no appetizers or dessert and we had two slices leftover. We do have big appetites after a day in the park, so it wouldn't have worked if we had a third person. The really big one would definitely be too big for 3 people. But yes, add in some apps with the large and you definitely won't come up short.

Any other thoughts on a good restaurant (good value/good food) we could try for an out-of-pocket meal?

Personally I think the better value is paying OOP for the signature meal and saving the credits. Signature Restaurants are almost never the best way to maximize a credit since they require 2 Table Service credits per meal but don't cost twice as much if you were paying out-of-pocket.

Last edited:
We have split the large pizza among 4 of us and been fine. That being said, we also find that paying OOP for all meals is a better deal than the DDP, but that's just us.

My mom, brother and I have split the large pizza multiple times easily. It really is huge and it's always our cheapest TS meal.

We are there last time OOP in 2013. It was myself, my husband and 8 year old daughter. We received bread complimentary at the table, ordered one pizza and a dessert. It was prefect and reasonably priced. I didn't care for the dessert though. It was the ricotta donut fritters. Didn't have much taste to them. Otherwise it was good. Yes, I have had better pizza other places but it was a nice sit down dinner that makes sense to pay OOP.

Personally I think the better value is paying OOP for the signature meal and saving the credits. Signature Restaurants are almost never the best way to maximize a credit since they require 2 Table Service credits per meal but don't cost twice as much if you were paying out-of-pocket.

I agree. The signature meal usually is not DOUBLE the price. I would pay OOP for that, and use the dining credits single. JMHO.

I have a small appetite and eat 3 of 4 slices of an individual pizza. DH has a Moderate to large appetite. We shared salad and a large pizza and only had 1 slice left. We also shared a pitcher of beer.

I agree. The signature meal usually is not DOUBLE the price. I would pay OOP for that, and use the dining credits single. JMHO.
Yep, it's almost always a better value to pay OOP for signatures, rather than using two dining credits.

I think that for 2017, a table service credit is valued at around $39. So, unless you're going to spend $78 on an entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic drink, you'll lose money by using two credits.

We will be paying out-of-pocket for two dinners during our stay (because of signature dining using 2 TS credits elsewhere). We were thinking about eating at Via Napoli one night and splitting a pizza. Would 1 pizza work for 3 people. Are there also good options for a non-pizza eater, too?

Thanks!
We just did the same thing. Maybe if you ordered the salad too (not expensive), you could do it with three people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter