Patina Restaurant Group to operate Italy Restaurant @ Epcot

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Patina Restaurant Group to operate Italy Restaurant@ Epcot

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has selected the Patina Restaurant Group to be the new operating participant for the restaurant at the Italy Pavilion at Epcot ®.

The Patina Restaurant Group will be running the operation beginning September 1, 2007 and a new restaurant concept is scheduled to open Fall 2008.

The Patina Restaurant Group was also one of the original operating participants at the Downtown Disney® District at the Disneyland® Resort in Anaheim, starting in 2001.

We’re very excited to have a strong strategic partner like the Patina Restaurant Group bring its world-class cuisine to the Italy Pavilion.

They operate Catal Restaurant and Uva bar, Naple's and Tortilla Joe's in DL's Downtown Disney.

Good thing or bad thing? I'm not familiar with any of those outfits.

At least it's not Olive Garden as was feared by some.

I consider this good news.

The only restaurant operated by Patina Restaurant Group that I've eaten at is the Uva Bar at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. I enjoyed it.

I was so afraid that the restaurant in Italy would go to Landry's Restaurants. I have not been impressed by Landry's Seafood Restaurant and I have especially negative feelings about Rainforest Cafe. With two restaurants now under construction at WDW by Landry's Restaurants, I was afraid there would soon be another.

I consider this good news.

The only restaurant operated by Patina Restaurant Group that I've eaten at is the Uva Bar at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. I enjoyed it.

I was so afraid that the restaurant in Italy would go to Landry's Restaurants. I have not been impressed by Landry's Seafood Restaurant and I have especially negative feelings about Rainforest Cafe. With two restaurants now under construction at WDW by Landry's Restaurants, I was afraid there would soon be another.

Would it be safe for me to assume that the two you are referring to would be T-Rex and Yak & Yeti?

Would it be safe for me to assume that the two you are referring to would be T-Rex and Yak & Yeti?
Yes.

I hope that these will be good restaurants, despite being run by Landry's.

I've had excellent meals at the Bahama Breeze chain. Bahama Breeze is owned by Darden Concepts, Inc., which also owns the dreadful Red Lobster chain and the even more dreadful Olive Garden chain. So it's possible for the same company to have good and bad divisions.

I hope that these will be good restaurants, despite being run by Landry's.

If the T-Rex Cafe at DTD will be anything like the existing one here in Kansas City, then you may be disappointed. I think the theming is a bit better than your typical Rainforest Cafe, especially for kids, but the food quality is about the same.

*Brian*

Maybe the restaurant will be good, maybe not. But it's a departure from the attempt to have chefs or restaurants actually from the country being represented, which is disappointing.

If you're not going to do that, why outsource again?

I'm going to WDW in November this year. Will there be no restaurant in the Italy Pavilion to eat at?

I have never heard of the Patina Group either. (Which does not mean a thing.) I am sure they are good, for the fact alone that it is a 20 year agreement!
I am hoping for a good Italian counter service to be included.

I'm going to WDW in November this year. Will there be no restaurant in the Italy Pavilion to eat at?

According to the FAQ that Disney posted for CMs, a restaurant will continue to be operated in the location until the new "concept" restaurant opens next year. No details were given except that "the Patina Restaurant Group will showcase similar Italian fare from some of its premiere Italian restaurants."

*Brian*

If the T-Rex Cafe at DTD will be anything like the existing one here in Kansas City, then you may be disappointed. I think the theming is a bit better than your typical Rainforest Cafe, especially for kids, but the food quality is about the same.

*Brian*

Ditto! It is absolutely an atmospehere thing.

I was not able to pull up the website listed, but found their profile on careerbuilder and they have many restaurants, very high end ones at that, at high traffic tourist locations in NYC as well as the west coast, and their flagship Patina Restaurant, was moved to the Walt Disney Concert Hall which is where we will find the relationship. I work in the industry (food) and I have heard of them and expect nothing but greatness.

I forgot to say that I am not surprised that they are not going with an "Italian" owned company, I disagree that you need to be from that country to be authentic. Also, by leasing out the space, they are assured of a revenue stream, they get money even if the restaurant looses money, and they most definately will get percentage rent as the sales go up, a no-brainer for Disney. From what I have seen of their operations in pictures, this will be a top notch, well executed operation, a win for the guest for sure.

I forgot to say that I am not surprised that they are not going with an "Italian" owned company, I disagree that you need to be from that country to be authentic.
I'm not claiming that Americans can't make authentic Italian food (although the Mexican restaurant in Epcot offered more authentic offerings than were available even in most American cities at the time it opened), just pointing out that it's a departure from the original philosophy. It was supposed to enhance the guests' experience to be eating at a restaurant that was designed and run by a restaurant, or chefs, from the country. Just like trying to have CMs who are actually from the country.

Elsewhere it's reported that Patina will have an Italian chef running the restaurant. And certainly Joachim Splichal of Patina has a great rep. (As far as I'm aware, there is no such flagship chef or restaurant for the Landry's chain).

Also, by leasing out the space, they are assured of a revenue stream, they get money even if the restaurant loses money, and they most definately will get percentage rent as the sales go up, a no-brainer for Disney.
It's a safer choice, certainly, but we have to start to wonder just what it is that Disney thinks it can still do well. And how much it can tolerate not having direct management control over the employees that guests encounter throughout their experience at the resort.

I don't see not having complete control over the hireing being a problem. If you make the right decision in who you do business with, there is no need worry about who they hire. I see it this way, ever work for a boss who is a micro manager, checks into everything you do? Do feel you did the best work for that manager, or did you spend most of you time just trying to make them happy or do things just to keep them off of your back.

I also don't think this is a problem of what they can or can not do anymore but a reality of how business is done today. Don't try to do everything yourself, seek partnerships with business that complement your "areas for development". Not good withh details, than hire people who are great at that. Find what you do well and do that better than anyone else. So maybe Disney is great at managing partnerships or leasing out their space, which never was run by Disney in the first place, and the end result for the guest is as good or better, than why not.

the restuarant I work for, a national Italian chain, definately NOT Olive Garden, used to make all of the stuffed shells, manicotti and dressing every day, in house, but than we found a company that made it better, faster and for less money that we could do, and in the end, the guest could not tell a difference, so why not, to hang onto this stubborn idea that we had to do it all ourselves while we micro managed ourselved out of business?

Sorry, I'm a bit long winded at times

So maybe Disney is great at managing partnerships or leasing out their space
Name one Disney business or professional partnership that's worked well in the last twenty years. Perhaps a quick call to Wlfgang Puck or Mondavi would be interesting.

And if Walt Disney World becomes little more than a shopping mall - with all the space leased out to other brands and other companies...what makes WDW unique? Disney tried all of this at California Adventure and it was a complete disaster for everyone involved.

Normal people don't go to WDW to eat at a Rainforest Cafe - that's what the local mall is for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter