Past value stay-er curious about moderates....

DisneyGuy758

Let's go Murphys!
So, as it says above, I've stayted at the Value resorts in the past. All three All-Stars are under my belt, but POP is still MIA. The plan is for my family (DW, and 2DS) to head back in October of 09 with my mother...she's as big a Disney freak as I am. I'm not against staying in a Value again, I'm just curious about what else is out there. Port Orleans are Carrabeean Beach tops on my lists of intersts, what else should I look into? I dream about Wilderness Lodge...but I know that's a bit out of the budget.

Help me Disboards members...you're my only help.

Andre
pirate:

Moderates are wonderful. Going in October, you will probably be able to use a code for a savings on the price of the moderate and bring your resort cost down. POR and POFQ are both great resorts. You should also consider CSR, which when BUZZ responds, please look at his site for that resort. We have never stayed at CBR, and the reason being it is the least preferred when there have been surveys done here on the DIS. It seems to be a VERY big resort.

One other thing I just thougt about. Have you ever considered renting points from a DVC member? You might be able to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for a price within your budget.

One other thing I just thougt about. Have you ever considered renting points from a DVC member? You might be able to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for a price within your budget.

I don't quite know what you mean by rent points..can you expand on this? I'm interested, especially if i can get WL in my budget.

Thanks

Andre
pirate:

We stayed at CBR in April 2005 and loved it. But, as Magicaldisney notes above, it IS a big resort, covering a large area. The resort is divided into groups named after the Caribbean islands. Each has its own pool, etc., but depending on which island you're in, you could be 5 or 10 minutes away from the central pool and restaurants.

Personal, I loved it, because even though it's a big resort, it doesn't feel crowded. You can also see the Epcot fireworks from certain locations. And one of my fondest memories was taking a quiet 20 minute stroll along the path around the lake at midnight. The perfect end to a busy day.

We mostly stay at the values, but we love CBR. It is a big resort, but it's so pretty! The only thing we don't like is the food court. It just doesn't have as many choices as the food court at the value resorts do.

I don't quite know what you mean by rent points..can you expand on this? I'm interested, especially if i can get WL in my budget.

Thanks

Andre
pirate:

Just go over the the Rent/Trade section of the DVC board. Owners that have points they can't use will offer them for rent. You can usually get DVC resorts much cheaper than booking thru CRO. There is a link to the point charts at the top of the page...just put in the dates you want to travel, which resort, and room size. It will calculate how many points are needed. They usually rent in the $10-$12 range per point. It might be a good way to try the WLV at a lower cost.

Moderates are the best value on site, IMHO. I just wish they would build more of them. I have had wonderful stays at Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach will happly return to both. CSR is stunning at night and the relaxed feel and vibrant colors at CBR are great! I havent tried POR yet, but will someday soon =) Let us know what you decide!

I didn't even think about CSR. I've always wanted to stay there too! I'll have to do some research on it.

I'm interested in the point renting thing too, I'll have to look into that as well.

Andre
pirate:

If all five of you are planning to stay in one room, Port Orleans is the only moderate resort that allows 5 people over 3 years old to a room.

I'm interested in the point renting thing too, I'll have to look into that as well.

one downside of renting a DVC reservation is that most DVC studios and 1BRs have a 4 person limit. i believe AKV has some 1BRs that allow 5.

the other potential downside of renting is that all DVCs but OKW have sofabeds in the studios and 1BRs...some of which are very comfortable...but depending on the ages of your kids may still be less appealing than a real bed.

OKW studios do have 2 queen beds and make for a very reasonable rental if you have 4 people or less in your party. i stayed there last month and would definitely recommend it.

best of luck in planning but i'm not sure a DVC rental will be a good idea this trip...

My boys are 1 and 7 and will be 3 and 9 when we go in 2009. We last stayed in the Family Suites at ASMu, and DS7 didn't mind the pull out couch at all...he thought it was pretty cool. DS1 was in a pack-nplay obviously...but next time, we may request a fold away cot for him. I'm going to do a lot of research on the renting thing, I'd rather do all the owrk and not do it then do it and be sorry after.

Andre
pirate:

Can someone point me in the direction of the DVC section? I'm not in my right mind right now and am having a problem locating it.

Thanks

Andre
pirate:

Hi,there!

We have stayed at most of the resorts over the years - excluding Boardwalk and Fort Wilderness. It honestly depends what you are looking to accomplish or what is important to you. My favorite resorts are the French Quarter and AKL (Savannah View specifically). I think that between the values and moderates, I find the beds a little more comfortable at the moderates. A great thing with the values, for anyone on a budget, is that you can get two rooms for a reasonable cost so for a family - it is easier to get ready in the mornings. If there are no children in the party, my choice would be French Quarter or Port Orleans Riverside if I were choosing from the moderates. They are a little quieter than the values.
You will get a lot of different responses and you will get people who truly dislike a resort for one reason or another..but you will get a good idea of what to look for and what is available.
Not sure if my response is any help to you. Enjoy your October trip! :)

We just returned from POR a few hours ago (and I'm sad to be home:sad1: ) but we loved POR!!!The rooms were great, the food at Boatwrights was great, the CMs were great and I can't tell you any thing at all that was not great!!! We had a waterview room in Magnolia Bend and it was soooo convenient to everything!! We were right on the Sassagoula River and could watch the boat go by to DTD from our room. By the way, that was one interesting boat ride!!! It takes quite a while to get there, but it was wonderful!! We got to see the treehouses and they are so nostalgic and it was great to know that Walt designed them himself. DH thought this was the best resort we had stayed at, including that it was better than BC!!!

We did check out POFQ, which I had stayed at 14 years ago. It just didn't match up to POR in design or functionality for what we wanted. Next time we go, I'm requesting the same room!!!

We will definitely be back at POR!! It was GREAT!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter