Passport necessary for Nassau?

lwilliam

<font color=deeppink>Goofylover<br><font color=tea
Friends sailing with us don’t have passports and no time to get them, will they be able to go into Nassau?

If they are a US citizen and the cruise is starting and ending at the same US port they can cruise with a government issued photo ID (drivers license) and a state issued birth certificate.

Also note that if they needed a passport, they wouldn't be allowed on the ship at embarkation. They don't need one in this case, but the documentation requirements are per cruise, not per port.

Keep in mind that if for any reason you need to get home from Nassau without getting back on the cruise ship (medical emergency, missed the sail away time, some other crazy event), then you'll have to jump through extra hoops (and spend extra money) if you don't have a passport.

So, you don't need a passport, but I'd recommend getting one for next time. Just in case.

If they are a US citizen and the cruise is starting and ending at the same US port they can cruise with a government issued photo ID (drivers license) and a state issued birth certificate.

I did not know this -- learn something new everyday! Good to know there's a backup option if ever we have issues getting renewed passports in time or something.

Keep in mind that if for any reason you need to get home from Nassau without getting back on the cruise ship (medical emergency, missed the sail away time, some other crazy event), then you'll have to jump through extra hoops (and spend extra money) if you don't have a passport.

So, you don't need a passport, but I'd recommend getting one for next time. Just in case.
So many things a Passport is good for at home, not sure why everyone doesn't have one. Getting a Driver's License. Signing up for Youth Sports. Getting a job. Signing up for Social Security. Oh, yeah, and travel.

I did not know this -- learn something new everyday! Good to know there's a backup option if ever we have issues getting renewed passports in time or something.

Of course, if you've sent your only copy of a birth certificate with the renewal, you'll have to scramble to get another.

Related question. To enter and depart Nassau from the ship, is all that is required is your key and government-issued ID?

Of course, if you've sent your only copy of a birth certificate with the renewal, you'll have to scramble to get another.
Good point. Everyone should have more than one copy of their birth certificate too. One to keep at home and one to keep in their safe deposit box at the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter