Passport for children?

astempel

Earning My Ears
We are sailing on May 28th and I am trying to decide if we truly need passports for our three children, ages 10, 7, and 3. The passports are $255.00 when all combined and I am thinking that this amount is some serious money on the ship. Any thoughts, ideas, or advice?

I don't believe you need them for the 3 or 4 day cruise but definately those that take you beyond the Carribean. Isn't there a new ID card you can get that is much cheaper?

I don't believe you need them for the 3 or 4 day cruise but definately those that take you beyond the Carribean. Isn't there a new ID card you can get that is much cheaper?

Yes, the passport cards (as opposed to the books) are around $25 but only good for cruises or driving/walking into Canada or Mexico as I understand it. If your kids might ever fly internationally, they need a book passport.

We are cruising next month with a 3 year old and opted to get her a passport as a precaution. If something were to happen where we had to leave the ship and fly home from a foreign country, she would need a passport to do so.

We had 4 passports to get. We did it one per pay check. I read they aren't going to be requried until summer this year but felt we wanted to do this as a added measure of security. My dd's are 3 and 9. This way we are free to travel the world. With the passport cards you cannot fly out of country.

Thanks for the responses. I think we'll go ahead and get their passports. Hopefully, we will go on another cruise in the near future so we will already have them for that one.

Yes, the passport cards (as opposed to the books) are around $25 but only good for cruises or driving/walking into Canada or Mexico as I understand it. If your kids might ever fly internationally, they need a book passport.

We are cruising next month with a 3 year old and opted to get her a passport as a precaution. If something were to happen where we had to leave the ship and fly home from a foreign country, she would need a passport to do so.

Thanks, I forgot the card won't get you far.

Your kids are getting to the age where those last minute school band trips to France, Spanish class trip to Spain, church group trips to El Salvador, are just ahead. Having the passport now will not only make things easier now, but in the future.
I can't, however help you, with paying for those trips. I just remember my son being a Senior in high school and coming home saying he wanted to go on the French club trip to France and Spain, and it was a bargain at only $1,700, and oh, he needed a deposit check for $500 next week!!!

We are on the 5/9/09 cruise and decided to all get passports.

We applied on a Saturday and the following Saturday ALL of our passports arrived in the mail. I could not believe it. I think it took me longer to fill out all the forms!

Just FYI they will send your birth certificates back separately so don't worry if they are not enclosed with the passports.

Good Luck and have a wonderful time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter