Passport card...

pixiedustaholic

DIS Veteran
anyone used them? I'm seriously considering this b/c of the price difference. I do realize that you cannot FLY using this. We never intend to go out of the country except to cruise Carribbean or Bahamas. I know some people use only birth certificates and DL but also read somewhere on a pp that sometimes these people were treated like "second class citizens". Anyone have any problems with the passport card?

We are also thinking about getting the passport card because of the price difference. I am interested to see the responses you get.

We were on the Magic last week and used our BC and DL and it was fine. If I had to get one I would get the card. I think you will be fine either way.

We cruised four times without a passport and were never treated poorly. We traveled with passports on the PC repo ONLY because Colombia requires them for your to to there at all and we were not treated any better because we had them. Other lines may do this but not DCL. :) Also, I wouldn't waste my money on the passport card. There is a loophole in the WHTI that says cruises that are on a closed loop [return to the same port them left] won't require passports anyway and also children under the age of 16 won't need them.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Just think about this. What if you have to fly home for some unexpected reason from the Caribbean or Bahamas? I think for the extra money, the passport is a better investment and is more practicle.

I live less than 20 miles from the Canadian border, and cross regularly. If I did not live this close, I would never have wasted the extra $20 on a passport card.

If you regularly cross the US border by land or sea, the card might be useful. Otherwise, stick with the book - if you decide to go farther in the next 9.5 years it'll be necessary, and if you have an emergency and need to fly home it will also be necessary.

I would go with the book, just because, god forbid, something would happen and you have to fly home. Better safe than sorry.

We got passports for DH and me and pass cards for the kids. Theirs only last 5 years.

Hmmm...I thought I read that the Passport Card has a clause that allows for flight travel (home) with the card in the event of an emergency.

DH was concerned about the emergency factor and what if we have to fly home from the Bahamas.

Off to research!

I had this very same predicament last week. We were also trying to decide between the card and the book. We actually ended up going with the book, mainly for the peace of mind. From what I was told, you cannot use the card to fly internationally, but if you find out differently, please let us know!

Hmmm...I thought I read that the Passport Card has a clause that allows for flight travel (home) with the card in the event of an emergency.

DH was concerned about the emergency factor and what if we have to fly home from the Bahamas.

Off to research!

Maybe I beat you to it. From the Passport card webpage:
"However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. "

That being said, I am sure possession of a passport card would expedite issuance of a passport book in an emergency, but you'll still have to find your way to the nearest consulate or embassy to apply for a passport and pay all the necessary fees before you can get a flight home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter