Pass for SD parks?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
We are leaving for SD next week and planning on doing at least Sea World, the Zoo, Safari Park and Legoland. Any advice on if I should buy one of those local attractions passes and if so which one? Thanks!

https://www.smartdestinations.com/san-diego-attractions-and-tours/_ptd_Sdo-p1.html
If you build your own pass on there, you save 20% at each attraction. Sometimes, you can find a free child ticket when purchasing an adult ticket for Legoland, so that may be cheaper. The Zoo has a 2 day pass that you can also use at the Safari Park. That brings the cost down nicely.

The Go Card gives you 3 days at a many attractions, but the places you want to go are all day things. So, you could probably choose the 3 most expensive and if you happen to have any extra time on those days, you can do other stuff on the list. I think most of that stuff will close by the time you get out of the Zoo, Sea World, etc. Here's a copy/paste:
Go San Diego Card
With the Go San Diego Card, you'll get access to over 48 attractions. San Diego Zoo 1-Day Pass, San Diego Zoo Safari Park Africa Tram Safari Pass, SeaWorld San Diego, Legoland California, Knott’s Soak City, USS Midway Aircraft Carrier, Harbor Cruises/Whale Watch, Birch Aquarium, all Balboa Park museums, and over 40 other area attractions. Visit all attractions within 3 days of first use. Restrictions may apply.

Adult
(Ages 13 & older)
$199.00
Child
(Ages 3-12)
$179.00

Thanks so much! I think that's what we bought at the zoo on our last trip and I could not find it when I tried googling since I didn't know the name. Do you know if that works towards the kids free in October? Or does that only work on each attraction when you buy each ticket?

We've really only done the big things in SD, like the zoo, safari park, sea world and Lego land. Pre kids we also did more of the local areas for sight seeing and eating. Anything else we should check out? I told DS about the aircraft carrier and we'll be doing that but I'm not sure what else to do. We will be there for a week and I'll have all day to entertain the kids while DH is at a conference and nights to do things with him. What else should we do?

Do you know if that works towards the kids free in October? Or does that only work on each attraction when you buy each ticket?
I don't know how it works as I've never purchased one.

Other places the kids may enjoy are Stephen Birch Aquarium and afterward, you can go look at the seals and sea lions at the La Jolla Cove and Children's Pool. I know you are doing Sea World already, but it's pretty cool to see seals and sea lions in the wild. There's a cave you can pay to walk down at the Cove (it's inside a gift shop).

The Science and Space center in Balboa park can take up half a day if your kids want to do all of the exhibits and you watch a movie or two there. Our Natural history museum is often good. I like the Car Museum. It's very small and you get through it quickly, but if you like old cars it's cool. If not, don't bother. Personally, I don't like the Museum of Man.

Seaport Village is still around (the city hopes to make it into something totally different). It is mostly touristy shops, but there's a Merry Go Round and you can take a Seal Tour from there which is a bus that drives into the bay and becomes a boat. It's a narrated tour, but they try to keep it funny and cheesy to entertain the kids.

Thanks so much! Since it looks like we have more trips to SD coming up I definitely want to try and check out things while they're free so I'll know what's worth doing again when we will have to pay for it.

If you're buying the Go San Diego card and have Costco membership (or know someone who does) they're cheaper there. I think ours has the 4 day Go LA for under $200 (so I assume they have the SD ones in SD) and they have all of them online as eTickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts